Topic: Information required: Pin-outs for the RM Nimbus PC 186 colour monitor connector  (Read 6123 times)

Offline woody.cool

• I get Woody for Camy
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 11
  • HADOOKEN!
    • View Profile
Hi all,

Recently, I've acquired an RM Nimbus PC 186.
I'm after the pin outs or even a cable to connect to the RM's colour monitor connector, which is an 8-pin DIN socket (kind of like the C64's)

I've tried all the 8-pin DIN -> SCART leads I have, all with different degrees of success, but non of which produce a steady picture.
I've looked on t'Internet but am really struggling to find the information required.

Anybody got any ideas? or know the above info?

Cheers
woody.cool

Offline Andy

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 17
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computers
Its the TTL thing!  ;D

Ive found a CGA to SCART adapter curcuit. Will need to look into it a bit more deeply.... Its the 8 pin DIN (not 9 pin dsub) pinout im looking for...

Offline woody.cool

• I get Woody for Camy
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 11
  • HADOOKEN!
    • View Profile
Its the TTL thing!  ;D

Ive found a CGA to SCART adapter curcuit. Will need to look into it a bit more deeply.... Its the 8 pin DIN (not 9 pin dsub) pinout im looking for...

Failing that, details of how to make an 8-pin DIN to 6-pin DIN (so that I can plug the Nimbus into my CUB monitor) would also be helpful!

Offline Phu

• RCM Workshop
  • Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 41
  • Pay no attention to that PCB....
    • View Profile
    • ZX Spectrum Laptop Project
CGA is more or less RGB anyway... with maybe a couple of subtle timing differences (CGA conforms more to an American telly than a UK one).

As for connecting the RM nimbus, you do it the hard way:

Connect the ground of the monitor to something grounded on the Nimbus... The case will do till you find the right ground pin.

Now take one of the three RGB lines can poke it into holes on the monitor connector until you see something that looks like an image. It won't be in sync, but you should be able to see *something*. Leave this connected.

Now take the Sync line and poke it around as before. Eventually, one of the pins will yield a sync signal. You can then do the proper job of working out which is Red, Green and Blue.

-- Richard
8 End of File, RCM:1

Offline Andy

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 17
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computers

Offline woody.cool

• I get Woody for Camy
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 11
  • HADOOKEN!
    • View Profile
This is what i found...

http://electroschematics.com/377/cga-scart-adapter/
Ummmmm, I'm not that good at electronics :(
I have no idea what all them resistors etc. do or where to get them, let alone how to put this together .... I was hoping this was gonna be a bit more straight forward!

Offline Phu

• RCM Workshop
  • Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 41
  • Pay no attention to that PCB....
    • View Profile
    • ZX Spectrum Laptop Project
Well.. its a very full adaption.... possibly a little over-engineered.

The top six resistors are implementing RGBI - RGB with an intensity bit. Kinda like the Speccy's brightness output. You can get away without the three resistors connected to the top pin, but you'll lose half the colours.

The sync arrangement could be simplified with a little risk. I would use diodes, thus:

HSYNC ----|<|----+--- SYNC (SCART Pin 20)
VSYNC ----|<|----|

This will give a passable CSYNC that most TVs will accept. The resistor to SCART pin 16 is probably not vital, though the voltage should also be connected to SCART pin 8.

-- Richard

8 End of File, RCM:1

Offline Andy

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 17
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computers
Ive been given the pinouts!

Colour

Pin    Function
1    high-light (intensity ?)
2    line sync
3    red
4    ground
5    blue
6    green
7    12V
8    frame sync
Monochrome

Pin    Function
1    composite video (mono)
2    ground
3    frame sync
4    line sync
5    audio output
6    audio mute input

Aparantly, a Philips CM8833-II can take the colour signals. You just need a 8 pin DIN to 9 pin Dsub cabled made up.

Offline Andy

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 17
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computers
Aparantly, a Philips CM8833-II can take the colour signals. You just need a 8 pin DIN to 9 pin Dsub cabled made up.

I got a 8833-II yesterday, so im going to make a cable tonight! Will let you know how I get on.

Offline woody.cool

• I get Woody for Camy
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 11
  • HADOOKEN!
    • View Profile
Well, if it works out .... I'll be in the need of some help fixing my CM8833-II ;)

Offline Andy

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 17
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computers
Yeah baby!

Offline woody.cool

• I get Woody for Camy
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 11
  • HADOOKEN!
    • View Profile
So, will you fix my CM8833-II and then make me the neccessary cables? (for a nominal fee of course)

Offline Andy

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 17
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computers
So, will you fix my CM8833-II and then make me the neccessary cables? (for a nominal fee of course)

I doubt i would be able to fix your monitor, but I should be able to make you a cable.

You cant use this machine on your CPC monitor (unless you make some kind of frankencable!) The RM is outputting TTL video, so its R, G, B, Intensity, H Sync, V Sync and ground. You really need a CGA type monitor, or get your 8833-ii working!

Offline Womble

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 33
    • View Profile
    • Aussie Arcade
What does the monitor do?
Sic Transit Gloria Atari

Offline woody.cool

• I get Woody for Camy
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 11
  • HADOOKEN!
    • View Profile
My Philips CM8833-II went BANG! at a gaming event (Retro Fusion '08) and now doesn't even power on!