Topic: Travel/ Mini Connect 4  (Read 3142 times)

Offline david656

• Vic 20
  • Kudos 4
  • Groovy!
    • View Profile
Travel/ Mini Connect 4
« on: November 05, 2009, 09:30:18 PM »
Hi,

As a side project to assist our technology department in projects I am designing and building a Connect 4 Travel game using a laser cutter made of acrylic.

I will have pictures of an example soon, but was wondering if members of the forum would be interested. It will be a bit bigger than a deck of cards 107x78.5x18mm and hopefully can be engraved with any theme (with in reason) for the counters and casing.

Pricing will initially be to cover my costs however I may add a pound or 2 to be donated to RCM  :)

Offline The Twins

• Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 37
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
Re: Travel/ Mini Connect 4
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 09:35:22 PM »
Count us in, sounds fab!

Offline billdooruk

• Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 26
  • I could murder a curry
    • View Profile
    • Our site:-
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 09:36:07 PM »
Sounds good to me too....nice gesture to RCM too  :)

Offline AndyRCM

• >=))))º> GO FEED THE FISH! <º((((=<
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 10:01:56 PM »
Yeah sounds really good - and thanks for the RCM donation too! ;)
Looking forward to seeing it now!
"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

1200xl

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 11:30:41 PM »
yes please, the kids will love that

Offline david656

• Vic 20
  • Kudos 4
  • Groovy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 12:25:18 AM »
OK!

First off, thanks for the quick and positive replies, I feel a bit embarrassed! Its nothing special, but a nice thing to add to your collection if I can theme it to a game you like, or could make a nice stocking filler.

I have attached a picture of the case I've just knocked up in solidworks. you can have pretty much and colour you want etc, but I'll see how many people want these and then what colours they would like and then finally i can give you prices! but i will come up with a 'rough price in the next hour.

the slot in the top is where the connect 4 grid slots in for a compact and simple game :)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 02:43:29 AM by david656 »

Offline david656

• Vic 20
  • Kudos 4
  • Groovy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 09:50:34 AM »
OK, if 8 people were interested and wanted the exact same colour case I could do the case part for a £1.

The inner connect 4 board can be made for £1.50 or less depending on how many are interested.

and the counters I can generally knock together out of scraps if the colours are simple.

so lets just say £3 in bits ish give or take depending on numbers, how many people would be interested in one? and what themes are we looking at here?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 09:58:26 AM by david656 »

Offline Blackpanther

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 16
  • Trust is a weakness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 10:07:57 AM »
I'm interested.... could you do some sort of gaming theme?
Nintendo 3DS Friends Code: 2793-0594-8875

Offline AndyRCM

• >=))))º> GO FEED THE FISH! <º((((=<
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 10:45:15 AM »
Of course RCM would be very interested . . . and yes a gaming theme, mario & sonic or something like that ???
or RCM logo on the counters or on the game itself?

Andy
"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

Offline The Twins

• Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 37
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 11:58:35 AM »
OK, if 8 people were interested and wanted the exact same colour case I could do the case part for a £1.

The inner connect 4 board can be made for £1.50 or less depending on how many are interested.

and the counters I can generally knock together out of scraps if the colours are simple.

so lets just say £3 in bits ish give or take depending on numbers, how many people would be interested in one? and what themes are we looking at here?

Mass produce them and we can sell them for you at the Open days!!! Just a thought!!!!

Offline david656

• Vic 20
  • Kudos 4
  • Groovy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 05:00:21 PM »
Hi,

i'll happily knock up an RCM themed one  ;D and as long as the game are is simple 2D stuff so say pac-man or space invaders etc i'm more than happy to do something like that too.

Mass produced is almost out of the question, the laser cutter is our schools and the more you cut the dirtier the lens get - meaning they would need cleaning more regularly than normal. Once these are cut out they also have to be assembled and tensol cemented together by hand. I'm sure I could make a donation towards the tech department and get some leniency, but big numbers is just not a possibility.

However, if there is a big demand for these I am prepared to make a few each month which I'm sure they will be fine with.

I will knock up a RCM theme and post it so you can see what you think. 

Edit: to do RCM i will need the logo but in black and white, with out the 3D effects, if Andy or someone with the time can post a basic black and white version i can get to work on that  :)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 05:10:18 PM by david656 »