Topic: Events for 2010 . . .  (Read 19415 times)

Offline AndyRCM

• >=))))º> GO FEED THE FISH! <º((((=<
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
Events for 2010 . . .
« on: November 22, 2009, 09:39:19 PM »
We are currently looking at event(s) for next year . . . a couple of problems may effect us . . .

The date for our first open event in 2010 is looking at being on the weekend of 22nd of May. Dependant on a two day (sat & sun) or one day (sun) event.

1) Current venue - we now feel that for next times event that it would be too small.
2) 2 Day Event - Do we move to a two day event rather than a one day event next time?
3) New venue - if we do move to another venue, do we find somewhere that will allow us to do our own food or do we want a change?

we will add further complications/suggestions into this later . . .

Andy and Linda
"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

Offline muguk

• Sarcastic Git plc!
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 32
  • Mug U.K(tm)
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Word Toolbox
Re: Events for 2010 . . .
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 10:03:48 PM »
Parents used to help run/organise the North Wales Radio Rally in the early 90s and found the bigger the venue, the less control you have over the event.  The food bill is higher (mainly due to feeding the volunteers at the venue's stupidly-high rates) and that's before the buggers have stung you for the rent on a per-table & per-chair cost with electricity for those who needed it (*) at a premium on top of that as well!  The venue makes up part of the profit for hosting the event via their own catering, which would make it nigh on impossible for the running of the 'wheat free' canteen side of RCM ... which means no chocolate cake!!!

As per your FB post, the current place can't cope unless you give it one more try but over a 2-day period.  It then becomes a bit more expensive for the likes of us that aren't local as it involves a hotel stay (but more than happy to stay over).

All you can then do is set a limit of people per day with a small overhead for those that turn up out of the blue (and they're charged the premium price).

(*) Radio amateur gear tends to need lots of it!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 10:14:45 PM by muguk »

Offline Blackpanther

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 16
  • Trust is a weakness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 10:20:40 PM »
Current Venue

I think there was enough room for the amount of people that was there in the last event. But the way its looking is, a bigger venue will be needed as its becoming more popular.

2 Day Event

I think that's a great idea! More people are likely to turn up as its on for 2 days. I also think people are more likely to travel up from further places as they can stay over. You could stick with just the one day event (Sunday) and do one 2 day event per year?

New Venue / Food

If you make your own food then its more work/hassle for yourselfs and I'm sure you've got enough work to do. At the same time (based on previous events) the food and drinks have been far to expensive and with paying for a hotel it becomes to much (I'd still go tho).

Maybe using the same venue for the 2 days would work?
Nintendo 3DS Friends Code: 2793-0594-8875

Offline The Twins

• Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 37
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 10:41:08 PM »

New Venue / Food

If you make your own food then its more work/hassle for yourselfs and I'm sure you've got enough work to do. At the same time (based on previous events) the food and drinks have been far to expensive and with paying for a hotel it becomes to much (I'd still go tho).

Maybe using the same venue for the 2 days would work?
All the food for the events held so far have been made by myself (with the exception of the chilli), it would just mean that I will have more to do if we do a 2 day event.
Are you saying our prices are too high? We have been told that we are too cheap!

Offline Blackpanther

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 16
  • Trust is a weakness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 10:44:55 PM »
Sorry I meant previous events as in retro reunited. If you use a different venue and they make the food then it mite be to expensive with us having to pay for a hotel aswell.
Nintendo 3DS Friends Code: 2793-0594-8875

Offline AndyRCM

• Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 11:39:33 PM »
Thanks for the input Mark, we know what you mean.

Andy
"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

Offline Panther

• Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 35
  • Look at the size of my.......Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 09:30:11 AM »
Andy,

Not questions or comments really  :-\ but just a few things to consider. (sorry if it looks like I'm posing more questions, and not offering any answers  :-[)

a) By having a bigger venue would you be looking at displaying more machines ? if so how would this impact RCM in terms of setting up, transport, shut down/clean up afterwards.

b) In making this a two day event, would you expect to increase footfall from people coming one day that couldn't make the other ? or by people attending both days ? or possibly both ?

c) What are the benefits be in terms of increased cash gereation and RCM exposure, against outgoing costs (hire of the hall), loss in revenue if RCM don't supply the food etc.

d) What would the implications be on ticket prices from a one day to a two day event ?

Presumably you are looking for Venue's close to the unit to aid the transportation side of things.

From a personal point of view I would be really struggling to manage two days in may, as it's a week before I go on holiday, and also the Sunday is my Birthday, and I can't see the wife being too happy if I spent the weekend away from home  :-[

Offline AndyRCM

• Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 03:37:34 PM »
:)

a) bigger venue = more machines but not just RCMs machines, other peoples as well as we did run out of room for other people last time.

b) I think we would get increased footfall but if people can't make one day, hopefully they would may the other? People attending both days would be great.

c) Bigger Hall or Two Day Event where we are will double the rent . . . so we need to cover that, by supplying food that does generate income so . . . difficult one!

d) Ticket prices need to be confirmed but people will be able to buy a one day or two day ticket . . . :)

and yes we do want to be fairly close to the unit really - within half an hours drive would be great.

The dates we have chosen are the only weekend that is feasible for both myself and Linda in May, if other people can't make it that is very unfortunate but I do understand people do have commitments outside of RCM, me included! Any help given by the admins and friends is always very much appreciated.

Okay?

Andy

Offline AndyT

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 17
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computers
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 04:27:15 PM »
Please make sure the new venue is on the ground floor, or it has a suitable lift!  ;D (Who remembers the Retro Reunited venue! :o )
Andy
http://www.retrocomputers.eu
Xbox Live Gamertag : AndyCTaylor

Offline AndyRCM

• Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 04:46:55 PM »
What was wrong with the venue then Andy?

Offline AndyT

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 17
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computers
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 04:49:31 PM »
What was wrong with the venue then Andy?

There was a lift, but the enterance to it was not wide enough for a trolley, let alone a arcade cab. You also had to go into the kitchen to get to the lift. The lift also kept breaking. Its the type with the manual doors.

There were stairs, but it was very hard work!
Andy
http://www.retrocomputers.eu
Xbox Live Gamertag : AndyCTaylor

Offline woody.cool

• I get Woody for Camy
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 10
  • HADOOKEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 05:16:20 PM »
There were stairs, but it was very hard work!
Tell me about it ...... I got roped in to helping with getting arcade cabs up the stairs. That really buggered me up!

Offline PJ

• CPC 464
  • Kudos 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 11:37:43 AM »
My opinion is that you could consider either a larger venue for one day, or the same venue for two.

I didn't feel that you were radically undersized last time - yes at the peak it got quite busy and most of the machines were in use, but the majority of the time it was about right. The  Beeb room seemed to have too much space for the interest it generated & so you could cut that a bit & prioritise some other machines in there if you wanted. And there was some space in the arcade room that could have been used. The football table took a lot of space and I didn't see it used a lot (dont dare cut that pinball machine tho ! ;-)

Unless you are really expecting a lot of extra people next time, I personally would think carefully about going for a bigger venue.

If you hold a two day event, I suspect that the core enthusiasts will come on both days, but a lot of people will come one day or another, so giving you more space on each day.

One more suggestion - if you did hold a two day event, why not have a games-related film in the evening on one of your big screens - King of Kong or something like that. It would give people an incentive to stay over as well adding a bit of variety.

Offline AndyRCM

• Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 12:11:37 PM »
Like your thinking about the saturday night PJ! ;)
King of Kong, Wargames, Tron, Sneakers, Hackers etc etc etc ;)

:)

Offline Scarlettkitten

• Enjoy the silence
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 30
  • Queen of the 3DO people
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 12:33:48 PM »
I could bring a laserdisc player, Retro movies on a retro format 8)