ARCHIVED ITEMS > RCM GAMING EVENTS - OPEN DAYS 2010

Events for 2010 . . .

(1/13) > >>

AndyRCM:
We are currently looking at event(s) for next year . . . a couple of problems may effect us . . .

The date for our first open event in 2010 is looking at being on the weekend of 22nd of May. Dependant on a two day (sat & sun) or one day (sun) event.

1) Current venue - we now feel that for next times event that it would be too small.
2) 2 Day Event - Do we move to a two day event rather than a one day event next time?
3) New venue - if we do move to another venue, do we find somewhere that will allow us to do our own food or do we want a change?

we will add further complications/suggestions into this later . . .

Andy and Linda

muguk:
Parents used to help run/organise the North Wales Radio Rally in the early 90s and found the bigger the venue, the less control you have over the event.  The food bill is higher (mainly due to feeding the volunteers at the venue's stupidly-high rates) and that's before the buggers have stung you for the rent on a per-table & per-chair cost with electricity for those who needed it (*) at a premium on top of that as well!  The venue makes up part of the profit for hosting the event via their own catering, which would make it nigh on impossible for the running of the 'wheat free' canteen side of RCM ... which means no chocolate cake!!!

As per your FB post, the current place can't cope unless you give it one more try but over a 2-day period.  It then becomes a bit more expensive for the likes of us that aren't local as it involves a hotel stay (but more than happy to stay over).

All you can then do is set a limit of people per day with a small overhead for those that turn up out of the blue (and they're charged the premium price).

(*) Radio amateur gear tends to need lots of it!

Blackpanther:
Current Venue

I think there was enough room for the amount of people that was there in the last event. But the way its looking is, a bigger venue will be needed as its becoming more popular.

2 Day Event

I think that's a great idea! More people are likely to turn up as its on for 2 days. I also think people are more likely to travel up from further places as they can stay over. You could stick with just the one day event (Sunday) and do one 2 day event per year?

New Venue / Food

If you make your own food then its more work/hassle for yourselfs and I'm sure you've got enough work to do. At the same time (based on previous events) the food and drinks have been far to expensive and with paying for a hotel it becomes to much (I'd still go tho).

Maybe using the same venue for the 2 days would work?

The Twins:

--- Quote from: Blackpanther on November 22, 2009, 10:20:40 PM ---
New Venue / Food

If you make your own food then its more work/hassle for yourselfs and I'm sure you've got enough work to do. At the same time (based on previous events) the food and drinks have been far to expensive and with paying for a hotel it becomes to much (I'd still go tho).

Maybe using the same venue for the 2 days would work?

--- End quote ---
All the food for the events held so far have been made by myself (with the exception of the chilli), it would just mean that I will have more to do if we do a 2 day event.
Are you saying our prices are too high? We have been told that we are too cheap!

Blackpanther:
Sorry I meant previous events as in retro reunited. If you use a different venue and they make the food then it mite be to expensive with us having to pay for a hotel aswell.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version