Topic: Events for 2010 . . .  (Read 19627 times)

Offline AndyRCM

• >=))))º> GO FEED THE FISH! <º((((=<
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
Re: Events for 2010 . . .
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2009, 03:44:26 PM »
Thanks for that Richard, rightly so I personally feel! :)

As most of you know, I am Wheat Intolerant, the smell of anything, whether it be bread, cakes or something that has wheat in it in any form makes me feel physically sick . . . a bit like mushrooms with PhoenixTLB (eh Dave?) . . . so that would also be out! :)

Andy
"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

Offline AndyT

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 17
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computers
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2009, 04:36:25 PM »
Some people may not like this idea.... but......

How abouts only having 'retro' machines. For example, PS2 and Xbox are still not really 'retro'.... It will save more room for the older machines.

Please dont shoot me....  :-\
Andy
http://www.retrocomputers.eu
Xbox Live Gamertag : AndyCTaylor

Offline AndyRCM

• Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2009, 04:38:17 PM »
to be honest mate you are right . . . although they do always get well used! :)
"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

Offline AndyT

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 17
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computers
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2009, 04:40:06 PM »
a bit like mushrooms with PhoenixTLB (eh Dave?) . . . so that would also be out! :)

:-X  :o  :-X Ewwww.....
Andy
http://www.retrocomputers.eu
Xbox Live Gamertag : AndyCTaylor

StarshipUK

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2009, 07:12:07 PM »
good points StarshipUK!

1) - we tried a doom setup last May and it just didn't work out properly for some reason.

2) - we also tried alcohol at our May event due to requests - in the end nobody really brought any! we made quite a loss on that one!

3) - I tend to agree but takeaways in the main hall would be a no-no as it would stink out the entire room! whatever it was!

The main problem we have with any venue, including this one is that setting up on the friday is an absolute arse, it means booking the venue for virtually three days!

Andy

1. If the setup works, and it is advertised I am sure people would use it an play on it. I had a 5 (or was it 6 or 7?) PC Half Life multiplayer going at one of the RVs and it was rather popular.

2. But if you are going to run the event into the evening in a venue near a hotel that would be a different story. I can understand why no one would drink alcohol during the day at an event in the middle of nowhere that most people have driven to. At the private event I think it ran out of alcohol and we bought a load more (there was no Cider for me and Woody anyways :) ). If you are looking at a new venue, why not pick one that has bar facilities, and try and do a deal for cheap or free venue hire if they keep profits for the drinks.

3. Again I cannot live on Jacket Potatoes and Cake for lunch, breakfast and dinner for two days. I would want at least a pizza in the evening or the venue to be near somewhere that does food. If it comes to the worst I will eat something in the car or the hotel room. I have plastic spoons afterall.

Again, find a venue where you can do a deal that you would need to setup on Friday evening. There must be a social club or large pub somewhere that would be suitable?

Offline stiggy2009

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 25
  • I eat RetroBrite and Cornflakes for breakfast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2009, 07:29:09 PM »
Remember though, is it not that people are coming to the event to meet & play. Is drinking & eating such a big deal? By that i don't mean  fasting for one/two days (especially those that have been there since the wee hours setting things up) but simply if you're hungry and whatever is on offer at the venue is not to your liking or you require something different/bigger then go out & find somewhere. Likewise, need a beer, find a local pub?

On the flip side I'm guessing an increased ticket price to cover the costs of a venue that can accommodate drinks/food/eating inside?

Regard

StiGGY

Offline witchfinder

• C128
  • Kudos 6
  • Uber-geek
    • View Profile
    • Addicted to Gaming
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2009, 07:45:07 PM »
Is drinking & eating such a big deal?

To me it is, yeah! Being diabetic means not eating is not an option, and sinking a few beers with friends is always enjoyable! ;)

As Starship has said, if the event becomes a 2-dayer in a venue in close proximity to some accommodation then you'll see the beer flow... That said, it will make the RCM event basically the same as all the other events (Byte Back, Retro Reunited etc) so do you really want that?

With regard to Friday access, both myself and SirClive negotiated free access to our venues on the night before the event started - if the venue sees the potential income, you won't have an issue with this I'm sure...
Check out my "Addicted to Gaming" blog: http://gameaddict.blog.co.uk
(last updated 17th Sept 2009)

Offline The Twins

• Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 37
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2009, 10:23:35 PM »
Our Current venue has offered us free access on the friday night, but not until after 9pm (due to a longstanding and regular booking from a Judo Club, who will not be asked to cancel/move nights). This will then make it a very late night followed by a very early morning.

If people do not want to eat the food on sale they can always bring their own with them.

Offline Panther

• Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 35
  • Look at the size of my.......Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2009, 09:20:11 AM »
Your always going to get the old "You can please some people some of the time, but you can't please all the people all of the time" syndrome. My son wouldn't eat the Jacket potatoes (cause he's a fussy bugger !) at the November meet, so he bought sandwiches, but if other stuff was on offer it may have earned RCM a few more pennies, but then where do you stop ? Where do you draw the line, and not create too much work for the supporting RCM people serving the food ?

I'd consume alcohol if I hadn't got to drive (probably too much of it  :P), but it's a nice to have, not an essential.

With regards to things like linked PC's with multiplayer Doom, or anything similar these just don't get advertised, at the last meet, there was the playstations linked to play Ridge racer etc. but nothing to highlight this fact, so people may not have been aware.

Offline AndyRCM

• Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2009, 10:44:06 AM »
Food wise, like you say Stu, we felt that jacket potatoes were a good all round food for most people, I don't eat them very often personally due to me not really liking them, trouble is, if we supplied, say, sandwiches, because of the RCM/Wheat Free Tearoom link - the bread would have to be Wheat Free, as you may or may not know Wheat Free stuff (to buy) costs a small fortune. Linda can make bread, cakes etc etc but where does she stop? How much bread/sandwiches do we make? Would people buy Wheat Free Sandwiches? Quiches went down well as did the cakes so . . . maybe?

We won't be doing alcohol at the present venue again, even if we do go to a two day event. We lost over £60 last time and we just can't afford to do that again.
If we do move to another venue that has a bar, that is a different thing altogether. I would welcome that to be honest. A nice pint would go down nice!

As for the advertising . . . that I guess is down to me, but sometimes if it is organised by somebody else and they don't mention/ask me to do some publicity etc. what can I do? I have enough on my plate organising the machines etc as well as the tickets, flyers and everything else that goes out! :(

Andy

Offline muguk

• Sarcastic Git plc!
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 32
  • Mug U.K(tm)
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Word Toolbox
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2009, 12:46:03 PM »
If the local hotel is cheap enough and/or room on a sofa is available - I'd be happy to lend a hand on the Friday evening to help set-up.

Likewise, if it's a two-day event, more than happy to lend a hand on the RCM stall or in the kitchen or whatever is needed.

Offline AndyRCM

• Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2009, 12:53:28 PM »
Thanks Mike - means a lot to me personally that does! :)

Offline Panther

• Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2009, 01:11:13 PM »
Quiches went down well as did the cakes

How about Wheat free Pizza ?

As for the advertising . . . that I guess is down to me, but sometimes if it is organised by somebody else and they don't mention/ask me to do some publicity etc. what can I do? I have enough on my plate organising the machines etc as well as the tickets, flyers and everything else that goes out! :(

Andy, I hope you don't think I was having a dig here, You know I'll happily help out with any admin type stuff  :) I felt really guilty about leaving you guys to finish setting everything up last time.  :-[

Offline The Twins

• Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 37
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2009, 01:28:33 PM »

How about Wheat free Pizza ?

Making this at home for the family is fine!! But making it on the scale required to sell the the open day would be nigh on impossible.  I do pasties, which would be easier to do on a larger scale! We could possibly do chicken curry with rice, or sweet & sour with rice. I am looking into other things as well.

Offline Panther

• Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2009, 01:29:49 PM »