Topic: Things found inside .NDS files :)  (Read 1491 times)

Offline muguk

• Sarcastic Git plc!
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 32
  • Mug U.K(tm)
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Word Toolbox
Things found inside .NDS files :)
« on: November 29, 2009, 06:59:29 PM »
Was having a mess around with some music rippers for the NDS and, whilst looking for the SDAT files to play back on the PC using VGMTrans, I've found some interesting files contained within :)

• Inside Classic Games are 4 XM tracker files which weren't too shabby.
  • Asterix (Ubi Soft) left two .BAT files inside the ROM which seemed to run a video conversion tool called compactrv
  • Are you Smarter Than A 5th Grader - the complete list of questions, the multiple choice answers *and* which one is the correct answer to pick in a single .TXT file :)

I'm sure there's more to have a mess around with but these are the recent pickings from NDSHeader v2.0 :)

Offline Andy

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 17
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computers
Re: Things found inside .NDS files :)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 11:32:10 PM »
You find the same kind of info inside Wii ISOs too.

BTW - I have a LG GDR-8162B in my PC  ;)

Offline muguk

• Sarcastic Git plc!
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 32
  • Mug U.K(tm)
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Word Toolbox
Re: Things found inside .NDS files :)
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 08:06:21 AM »
I did some reorganisation of my older PC's drives last night (i.e. taking them out, putting into an IDE caddy and moving the data across) as I'll be scrapping the monster tower PC case at some point (only reason for keeping it is for doing Catweasel reads).  So I've moved all my ROMs (MAME etc.) onto a separate drive and will give me the chance to have some more noseying. 

Some firms put all their graphics data into a large link file (e.g the old WAD file style from ID games) inside the ROM which you have to extract and then re-extract using a PC tool that sniffs around for known picture files etc. But some of them (and I like these ones) just dump everything into the ROM in nice easy to find file layouts :)

Will be looking at the other 'Are You Smarter' titles at some point tonight as they're bound to be the same coders but with slightly changed graphics for the country of release.  Wouldn't be surprised if the questions are 99% identical too :)