Topic: King of Kong  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Rinoa

• CPC 464
  • Kudos 7
  • In a World gone Mad
    • View Profile
King of Kong
« on: January 14, 2010, 06:30:02 PM »
Been meaning to see this for a while now, and finally got my chance at the cinema last night.

Although I knew it was a documentry, I wasn't too sure what to except. Pleased to say I thoroughly enjoyed it though!

Can't believe how much of an arse Billy Mitchell (except with that Q*Bert lady of course) and the majority of the Twin Galaxies people were. What a shame.

I'd love to go and visit Funspot one day. That place looks awesome.

Offline AndyRCM

• >=))))º> GO FEED THE FISH! <º((((=<
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
Re: King of Kong
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 09:19:28 PM »
I met a couple of the people in King of Kong . . . well I say I, myself and Dave (PhoenixTLB) when we went to CGEUK.
The lady in question is Doris Self and was amazing on Q*Bert . . . she played it in front of us and was amazing.
Unfortunately she was killed in a car accident a few years ago.
I agree though Billy Mitchell made himself look like a right arse! Big headed arse too!
Walter Day was really nice at CGEUK too! There the only three people I can remember off hand.

Andy

"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

Offline Rinoa

• CPC 464
  • Kudos 7
  • In a World gone Mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 11:37:49 PM »
Yeah, I noticed the "In memory of Doris Self" at the end of the film. Shame that :(
What a trooper though, you certainly don't see many ladies her age playing games, let alone challenging a world record highscore!

Walter Day seemed like a nice guy in the film. I wonder, did he ever release an album in the end? ;D

StarshipUK

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 12:49:23 AM »
I was at that CGEUK as well, but was not that heavily into the retro gaming scene at the time and did not really know who anyone was.

If you liked King of Kong, it is also worth watching Chasing Ghosts if you can find it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chasing_Ghosts:_Beyond_the_Arcade

Offline comicbooknerd

• CPC 464
  • Kudos 8
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube page
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 12:33:35 PM »
It is a fantastic film, I really enjoyed it. Now though Walter Day has left TG to pursue his music career......eeeshhh

Offline Old Skool 75

• ZX80
  • Kudos 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 01:11:47 PM »
I thought that the 'King Of Kong' was a really good Documovie. I would love to go to Funspot. It looks like heaven for gamers. I don't think Walter will be a million selling recording artist. After hearing him play I think he should stick to running Twin Galaxies!

Offline MaxHall

• CPC 464
  • Kudos 13
  • 80s throwback...
    • View Profile
    • Max Hall music pages.
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 12:38:43 PM »
Yeah, bought this film on DVD, is a good watch.

Agreed Billy Mitchell is a noob, lol and the Q*bert lady a legend, bless her...RIP

Max
Max Hall

Producer and Remixer.