Topic: Recovering data from a wiped PS3 60gb drive  (Read 1713 times)

Offline muguk

• Sarcastic Git plc!
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 34
  • Mug U.K(tm)
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Word Toolbox
Recovering data from a wiped PS3 60gb drive
« on: February 07, 2010, 08:50:08 PM »
As per my long-winded post in the Time Game thread, I was given a 60gb drive by the same guy who had R4 problems.

It wouldn't read in discs any more and this guy had been told by Sony that as it was out of warranty, it'd cost him £112 to get it fixed.  He was quote £50 more @ Bowlers and that was using a 2nd-hand laser!  Needless to say he's going to send it back to Sony but whilst he was on the phone to them sorting this out, they suggested he do a system restore.......

.... which promptly wiped the entire drive (including all his kids' saved games).  Does anyone know if the PS3 h/drive is a standard PC format that can be recovered by running GetDataBack?  If so, I'll get started on that challenge.

What kind of filenames (if it is a standard PC format drive) am I looking for to recover?

Offline billdooruk

• Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 26
  • I could murder a curry
    • View Profile
    • Our site:-
Re: Recovering data from a wiped PS3 60gb drive
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 09:41:00 PM »
I think it may not be a standard format.....but i've not checked as my USB connection kit is at a friends.

I know the PS2 HDD's (HDAdvance etc) are not readable as standard on PC's - I had to use software to add/remove stuff.

I'll try to get my USB kit back later in the week, probably Wednesday, and connect my 60GB PS3 drive to my PC and let you know the outcome.

Offline muguk

• Sarcastic Git plc!
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 34
  • Mug U.K(tm)
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Word Toolbox
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 09:52:14 PM »
OK cheers - the bloke bought his kid a new (slimline) PS3 so it's not as if there's a major rush with the broken PS3 about to go back to Sony for a repair/replacement.  It'd be nice if I can recover the files and when the repaired one re-appears, he can slot the drive back in and then transfer his saves across to the slimline one.

1200xl

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 03:20:57 PM »
It's not a standard format, you can transfer the data to a USB drive or a USB HDD, but the PS3 will format it first, then you can transfer the files to the new drive.

It takes ages  >:(

Offline billdooruk

• Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 26
  • I could murder a curry
    • View Profile
    • Our site:-
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 04:55:28 PM »
Mug

I won't be seeing my mate tonight as planned....I'll let you know when I get my USB kit back and will update ASAP.

Sorry

Karl

Offline muguk

• Sarcastic Git plc!
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 34
  • Mug U.K(tm)
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Word Toolbox
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 05:30:09 PM »
Ah well, looks like he'll be in the dog house with his son then as this drive had all of his son's finished games / saved games / downloads on it.

Ooops!