• Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
Criticism
« on: September 23, 2008, 06:49:45 PM »
Some constructive cricitism - from a friend of mine who knows his stuff - he has organised several events like this one.
This 'Open Day' needs to be an event. Basically I need to think bigger . . . scares me shitless already though.

Thinking of maybe having a mini-site just for the event? What do you all think?

Firstly, the event is to have a get-together of like minded people to have a chat, a laugh and of course a play on retro machines.
Secondly, the event is to raise money/awareness of the long term project - the RETRO COMPUTER MUSEUM.

HELP!?!?!?

Andy
"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

Offline jimbob005

• Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 29
    • View Profile
    • http://midzamigagroup.freeforum.me.uk/index.htm
Re: Criticism
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 06:57:27 PM »
sounds good .. could have pub night once a month or something untill you get your place and when you get your place curry night with play offs

james
Sega went from 16bit to real life with the megaCD

Offline Andy

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 17
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computers
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 07:03:27 PM »
May be worth having a chat with my mate at http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/ as he's managed to get his museum on TV and has got backing from the local tourist board.

Offline billdooruk

• Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 26
  • I could murder a curry
    • View Profile
    • Our site:-
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 07:20:18 PM »
I'd be up for monthy meet ups.

If you get a poster put together i'll see if I can get it into the British Gas sites in Leicester (yes that's where I work but i'm nothing to do with energy - I work for a different part of the business)

The site/location you are looking for, i guess your looking to rent...... What used to be my local Quik-Save is up for rent. I think it's just under 5000 sq foot. It's in South Wigston, on the edge of Leicester and only 5-10 mins walk from the train station (ideal for visitors!!)

Do you want me to try to get the info for you?

Offline PJ

• CPC 464
  • Kudos 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 08:27:01 PM »
Andy,

Being the new boy here, I haven't wanted to shout too loud for fear of looking a bit negative, but as you've asked -  your friend is absolutely right.  Not to say you can't have some fun at the same time, but I presume your aims in having the event are 1/ to raise some money 2/ to inform people about your intentions 3/ to attract support and sponsorship ?

You therefore need to promote as widely as possible - suggestions: flyers, adverts in local papers, promo on various retro websites or how about talking to the local papers and see if you can get a news item in one or more of them ? Definitely have a dedicated web site as you've suggested (or a page on here so that you can quote it when people want more info) - if I ever hear vague word of something I may be interested in then the first place I look is google...

Also consider the venue - my daughters boyfriend is interested in reptiles and his local reptile club ran a very successful event by just basing it somewhere where there were people going past all the time (in the visitor centre at Wollaton Park in Nottingham on a Sunday). I honestly think they got about ten times the number of visitors they would have expected by doing just this.  Suggestion: could you get a slot in Snibston Discovery Centre ? They are just about to invest £15 million upgrading the museum and one of their target areas of interest is the growth in technology in recent years  - the development of games machines illustrates that very well and also is something which would be very 'hands-on' for visitors like the rest of the museum. With a bit of salesmanship you may be able to generate some interest from them. It could even be an initial base for the museum (kind of a 'visiting exhibition')

Just a few ideas anyway. Let me know what you think..

Offline AndyRCM

• >=))))º> GO FEED THE FISH! <º((((=<
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 08:32:26 PM »
Bloody hell - thanks PJ - didnt know they were doing a re-vamp - and they are on my doorstep!!!

Andy
"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

Offline PJ

• CPC 464
  • Kudos 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 08:44:51 PM »

Offline muguk

• Sarcastic Git plc!
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 32
  • Mug U.K(tm)
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Word Toolbox
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 10:43:13 PM »
That place sounds like a good starting point

Offline combatking0

• Atari ST
  • Kudos 10
    • View Profile
    • Combat King 0's Barcode Battler Site!
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 12:48:07 PM »
I'll advertise the museum and open day on my main, forum and Game Builders' Club sites.

I couldn't imagine where to start when looking for sponsorship, but there may be many local companies willing to help you either financially or in other ways.
Retroman!

Offline Andy

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 17
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computers
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 08:49:52 AM »
Ive put a item about the open day on my website, you never know, it may help.....

Ive also noticed there is nothing on the front page of this site. You only find out about the open day once you are in the forums.

Offline AndyRCM

• >=))))º> GO FEED THE FISH! <º((((=<
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 09:33:50 AM »
Andy - thanks for putting the open day info on your website. Good of you.

Yeah I know - I need to address the open day problem asap. I am sending people to the site but . . . they cant find it unless they sign up or go onto the forums.
I need some sort of mini site before the main site . . . :)

Andy

Offline combatking0

• Atari ST
  • Kudos 10
    • View Profile
    • Combat King 0's Barcode Battler Site!
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 01:01:05 PM »
I have almost sorted the flash "poster". I'll host it and supply the HTML code needed to view it.

I'll let AndyRCM view it first though to check that it is correct.
Retroman!