Topic: Which computer shop did you go in the 80/90`s?  (Read 7225 times)

Offline Amiga Man

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 10
    • View Profile
Which computer shop did you go in the 80/90`s?
« on: May 31, 2010, 04:06:08 PM »
For me.....Back in the 80`s   I went to Mircofun so often and it was Great shop.
It got all Atari, C64, Zx Spectrum and I remmy when I bought Amiga 500 plus in mircofun as oringal amiga 500 was out of stock :( as I couldnt contain my excitement to take that specail computer home and play it. My first amiga games was CAPTAIN Planets :D

The second computer shop was computer stores where loads of amiga games but i saw PC games looking good and were catching up the amiga :(

Hell of fun back in the 80/90`s

Today games isnt much fun as were back then :(

Offline porchy

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 33
    • View Profile
    • JAMMArcade
Re: Which computer shop did you go in the 80/90`s?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 04:32:27 PM »
Today games isnt much fun as were back then :(

100% agree with that.
I (well, my Dad) used to go to a place called Castle Computers in Blackpool, although I never once recall him buying anything.
As for games, the newely opened Morrisons in Preston was a gold mine for them. I loved going food shopping in those days ;)

Offline Blackpanther

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 16
  • Trust is a weakness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 04:34:36 PM »
I can't remember the name as it was only a small gadget type shop and I was kid. He a had very small selection of Amstrad, Spectrum and Commodore games in stock, as I was young I didn't read computer mags so I wasn't after a praticular game. So everytime I went in with my mother she bought me a game  :) Good times!!!
Nintendo 3DS Friends Code: 2793-0594-8875

StarshipUK

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 05:52:08 PM »
Commodore 16 games were hard to come by, but Asda used to sell them and I would get a new budget game everytime we went shopping.

I think Software Plus sometimes had them. Then I got quite a few at Car Boot Sales where they would often appear, but have not seen any computer games on tapes at car boot sales for a few years now.

I remember when I got my C64, Toys R Us had just put all their C64 games on sale to sell them off. There was also local shops Software Plus, Escom Computers, SES Computers, The DOS House (which I bought all remaining games from for £5 when they closed down - a big box I had to carry home!) and the car boot sales of course.

Nowdays its mostly EBay for modern and retro games.

Offline muguk

• Sarcastic Git plc!
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 32
  • Mug U.K(tm)
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Word Toolbox
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 06:16:27 PM »
Quite a few - depending on where I lived at the time.  Mostly it was Gallery Software in Wandsworth.  Run by Keith Wadhams and many, many knowledgeable teenage kids (and adults) who'd have nothing else to do but hang around in his shop - OK, I was one of them.

Then, when I relocated to Rhyl in 1988, it was Jo Micro run by a not-so-knowledgeable bloke for the owner who popped in once in a blue moon.  I remember selling my pristine collection of ZX Spectrum adventure cassettes (quite a few 'OMG R@RE' ones in there) for enough cash to buy a pair of trainers!  Oh how cruel hindsight can be!

Then a worker from that shop set up Broadsword Computers, about 1989, around the corner from Jo Micro, and that was that for a couple of years until Broadsword went under :(
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 06:59:55 PM by muguk »

Offline AndyT

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 17
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computers
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 06:55:31 PM »
I went to SRS on Watford high street and also Watford Electronics. SRS are still going, but now do cameras. http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/

Also bought a lot of £1.99 games on tape from Woolworth's.
Andy
http://www.retrocomputers.eu
Xbox Live Gamertag : AndyCTaylor

Offline AndyRCM

• >=))))º> GO FEED THE FISH! <º((((=<
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 07:46:57 PM »
I shopped at a few places for C64 and Speccy stuff, namely my corner shop . . . £1.99 games from Mastertronic etc . . . and of course the great shops of the day such as Boots and Woolworths had a good selection of the more expensive games at the time . . . :)

And when it came to Amiga . . . Datanest (in Leicester) - just ask PhoenixTLB about that! ;) :)  :P  ::)  :o  ;D

"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

Offline porchy

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 33
    • View Profile
    • JAMMArcade
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 08:28:46 PM »
I shopped at a few places for C64 and Speccy stuff, namely my corner shop . . . £1.99 games from Mastertronic etc . . . and of course the great shops of the day such as Boots and Woolworths had a good selection of the more expensive games at the time . . . :)

And when it came to Amiga . . . Datanest (in Leicester) - just ask PhoenixTLB about that! ;) :)  :P  ::)  :o  ;D

i was gonna ask if Boots sold games once upon a time but thought my memory was really having a laugh at my expense. Pretty sure ive had a few games from Boots too.

Offline AndyRCM

• Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 08:31:23 PM »

i was gonna ask if Boots sold games once upon a time but thought my memory was really having a laugh at my expense. Pretty sure ive had a few games from Boots too.

One of my favourite games for the C64 came from boots - still has the price sticker on it too! £8.95 for Mega Apocalypse! ;)
I think Parallax for the C64 came from there too! :) also around that sort of price! :)
"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

Offline porchy

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 33
    • View Profile
    • JAMMArcade
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 08:35:05 PM »

One of my favourite games for the C64 came from boots - still has the price sticker on it too! £8.95 for Mega Apocalypse! ;)
I think Parallax for the C64 came from there too! :) also around that sort of price! :)

Andy, your a genius. I was trying to think of Mega Apocalypse the other day but couldnt get past Crazy Comets. Had a few games on that instead. Time to load up VICE

Offline AndyRCM

• Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 08:36:21 PM »
erm . . . did I mention I know Simon Nicol? The guy who coded Crazy Comets and Mega Apocalypse! ;)

Offline porchy

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 33
    • View Profile
    • JAMMArcade
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 08:38:47 PM »
erm . . . did I mention I know Simon Nicol? The guy who coded Crazy Comets and Mega Apocalypse! ;)

I believe you just did

Offline billdooruk

• Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 26
  • I could murder a curry
    • View Profile
    • Our site:-
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 09:30:56 PM »
Can't remember why we got the Oric software from (I'm ready for the comments back on that one!!!)

I used to use either Mr Disk in Birmingham centre (by Nostalgia & Comics) but my main shop was called Game Over in Walsall....I got to know the owners very well....wonder what happened to them?

I did pay about £100 for JAP Mario All Stars a couple of day's after it's Jap release...How on earth did I afford it!!!! - Ahhh that's right....Single & living at home with parents!!!

Offline flicky

• CPC 464
  • Kudos 4
    • View Profile
    • Flicky's Videogame Page
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 09:33:40 PM »
Excellent thread!

The computer shops I went to were mostly in Guildford, during my lunch breaks when I went to school there.

I remember Lasky's had a lot of different machines (including quite a few Ataris) and I spent a lot of time there. There was also an independent computer shop at the top of North Street, but for the life of me I can't remember their name. I remember them stocking some cool machines though. I think they had that "luggable" system by Osborne and the Coleco Adam.

The other places I remember going a lot in the early 80s in Guildford were Woolworths (which for a time, sold the Colecovision) and the department store Army & Navy - is that still there!? - which sold the Vectrex. I remember going into town every lunchbreak for an entire term to look at the Vectrex :)

There was also a small chain in the South of England in the 80s called Ultima - anyone remember them? They sold software only IIRC. I had a QL for a while and recall looking at the vast selection of um, 2 QL titles they had in store (Chess and Match Point). Also remember seeing The Sentinel for the C64 on display in the shop and finding it very hypnotic.

John Lewis stores also had a great selection of machines, remember trying out an Atari 400 there once, and I'm sure they had a lot of the more obscure systems too.

Ah, happy days.

Offline AndyRCM

• Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 09:38:43 PM »
Just thought of another shop in Leicester - one that is still there . . . MAYS! ;)

A