Topic: Introduction . . . to yourselves!  (Read 265222 times)

Offline Spirantho

• Vic 20
  • Kudos 2
    • View Profile
Re: Introduction . . . to yourselves!
« Reply #840 on: May 26, 2011, 12:20:33 PM »
Hi,

I've just joined because I have a problem... actually not my problem, my Colour Genie. But thought I'd say Hi! first!

I'm Ian Gledhill, I live in Aberystwyth, and I have a few computers. Just a few... ;)

I've also just turned my business into a retro-computing shop but I don't want to plug it yet because then people would think I was only joining to spam the forum, and I'm not. Most of my time these days is spent repairing Spectrums, it seems!

My main retro machine is of course the Sinclair Spectrum, but I cut my teeth on my Dad's TRS-80 Model 1 back in '79 when I was three. First computer of my own was a ZX81.

So - hello! :)
Ian Gledhill
ian@mutantcaterpillar.co.uk but with a hyphen between "mutant" and "caterpillar"
Mutant Caterpillar Games - vintage computers and games in our shop!
http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/

Offline AndyRCM

• >=))))º> GO FEED THE FISH! <º((((=<
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #841 on: May 26, 2011, 12:28:28 PM »
Welcome Ian to the madhouse - hope you enjoy what we do on here . . . always interested in speccy fans! ;)

Andy
"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

Offline Panther

• Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 35
  • Look at the size of my.......Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: May 26, 2011, 01:35:56 PM »
Hi Ian,

I have the odd Speccy or two  :) as well as a genie  :D. RCM has just a few speccy's that have been donated, and love the ZX81 as well.

Welcome to the asylum RCM  ;D

Stu.

Offline Spirantho

• Vic 20
  • Kudos 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: May 26, 2011, 01:58:36 PM »
Thanks people. Hopefully I can help people with their problems too!
Ian Gledhill
ian@mutantcaterpillar.co.uk but with a hyphen between "mutant" and "caterpillar"
Mutant Caterpillar Games - vintage computers and games in our shop!
http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/

Offline billdooruk

• Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 26
  • I could murder a curry
    • View Profile
    • Our site:-
« Reply #844 on: May 26, 2011, 11:20:36 PM »
Welcome Ian

I get to Aber at least one a year as family friends live near by :)

Can't beat the Lemon Meringue pie from Rydol cafe/cake shop in Aber (sorry if my spelling is wrong!!)

Welcome to RCM

Karl

Offline Ant@RetrogearUK

• ZX80
  • Kudos 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: June 06, 2011, 10:16:56 PM »
Hi all,

Usually a bit of a lurker and don't post much but thought I'd say hello.

My names Ant and I have run Retrogear UK (http://www.retrogearuk.co.uk) since it started way back in 1999, and also blog at http://www.retrogamescollector.com when time allows.

I saw RCM on Twitter and followed links here, interesting idea and I'm sure I will be able to contribute some hardware in the near future.

I'm a massive Sinclair collector (not fat, just got a lot of stuff...) a small amount of which can be seen here: http://www.retrogamescollector.com/sinclair-zx81-zx-spectrum-ql-collection/.

I started programming on a ZX81 back in '81 and gaming in arcades back in the 70's sometime on stuff like Pong, Boot Hill and Asteroids. Never stopped since and I've probably owned nearly every console made at some time or other (excepting some clones). Only thing I've never owned is a full size coin-op but hope to remedy that soon (if she who must be obeyed allows).

Looking forward to visiting the RCM collection sometime soon.

Cheers for now,

Ant

Offline Panther

• Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: June 07, 2011, 07:01:24 AM »

I'm a massive Sinclair collector (not fat, just got a lot of stuff...) a small amount of which can be seen here: http://www.retrogamescollector.com/sinclair-zx81-zx-spectrum-ql-collection/.

Ant

Hi Ant and welcome to RCM.  :)

I thought I'd got alot of Sinclair kit, but your collection is quality !!

Stu.

Offline AndyRCM

• Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #847 on: June 07, 2011, 07:52:24 AM »
Nice one Ant - and as Stu mentioned nice kit! :)
Hope you enjoy your time on here - we are a friendly bunch. :)

Andy
"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

Offline Derek Barnet

• ZX80
  • Kudos -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: June 21, 2011, 06:22:56 PM »
Hi
I'm Derek from Barnet, just off the M25 J23. On ebay I'm the b***d that keeps bidding on Acorn stuff. Retired but busy - family, grandchildren, endless list of to do's (DIY) and then some me time.

During my career I have been Software Manager, Leader, Consultant, Designer, Senior Progammer in mostly Real Time applications. ( Communications, Process Control, Train signalling, Automated Warehouse +). I was a hands on guy. Unix Systems Engineer and Administrator.

Joined Forum - to find people who might like to chat with me - about details/techie stuff. I understand hardware but it fights me. Like the rules about this forum - left another forum after they didn't understand what I was saying - and turned it into a joke.

Project just started to compile data discs ( one non copyrighted - another copyrighted) of Acorn Atom stuff and hand a copy to a Retro Computer museum. Download yes, but a lot more than that !  Have purchased an Acorn Atom but when powered up it just makes a burr sound on the speaker ( hardware problem !!!!). Perhaps someone can help - and guess what - all advice and help will be duly added to the data disc.

At my age its hard to keep up with the latest Microsoft Windows knowledge. But I hope with  the Retro Micro world once I have gained an understanding - the target will not move.

As a project manager, I am keen to encourage those interested in this Retro Micro world to see yourselves as members of the same team. That together we may achieve things.

Offline WizRider

• ZX80
  • Kudos 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: July 19, 2011, 02:38:23 PM »
Hi all.

I'm Curt (a IT Consultant from Northampton).  I'll be honest and say that I've just signed up so that I can attend an event with my good mate JB (hyperfan on these forums).  So that's the honest reason why I've signed up but now that I know these boards exist and that I'm a member then I'll definitely be reading and lurking and sometimes posting too.

I'm into most retro stuff but mainly from a gaming perspective.  Got a MAME cab and next to it a SNES (with Super Everdrive), a megadrive (with Everdrive), a DC, an NES (with a PowerPak on the way from the states) and the current cream of the crop, a Speccy 128+2 all hooked up to a really nice 21" Sony Trinitron TV.

Hopefully see some of you at the 'members only' event on the 3rd Sept!

Cheers...

Offline AndyRCM

• Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #850 on: July 19, 2011, 02:40:28 PM »
Welcome Curt - I look forward to meeting you in September! ;) Great that you have joined us - please do post - sounds like you have some nice kit too! :)

Andy

Offline Panther

• Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: July 19, 2011, 02:56:28 PM »
Hi Curt,

Not at all jealous in anyway whatsoever about them everdrive carts   ;D

I want a MAME cab, but there is a reason I don't have one, can't remember what it is....................oh that's right, the Wife  :D

Post away even if it's crap..........Andy does  :P

Stu.

Offline questor

• user
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: July 19, 2011, 04:37:04 PM »
Hi Curt,

Not at all jealous in anyway whatsoever about them everdrive carts   ;D

I want a MAME cab, but there is a reason I don't have one, can't remember what it is....................oh that's right, the Wife  :D

Post away even if it's crap..........Andy does  :P

Stu.

And for the exact same reason my MAME cab now belongs to RCM and is in the entrance to RCM HQ.

Offline Lesley HS

• ZX80
  • Kudos 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: July 21, 2011, 10:18:31 AM »
Hi
I'm Lesley I have been to a number of RCM shows along with Phill my other half.  Congratulations on getting your new headquarters and am looking forward to seeing it.
Lesley

Offline AndyRCM

• Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #854 on: July 21, 2011, 10:20:17 AM »
Nice one Lesley . . . see you in September! :)

A