Topic: Introduction . . . to yourselves!  (Read 264758 times)

Offline iainjh

• ZX80
  • Kudos 0
    • View Profile
Re: Introduction . . . to yourselves!
« Reply #855 on: August 17, 2011, 12:47:29 AM »
Hi, I'm Iainjh

A Brit currently residing in Canada, I brought all my retro stuff over with me, and can confidently say that all of it works at 60hz :) I bought a nice big 250v PSU just for the retro and all works ;)  Though I did make the move an excuse to thin it out /refine the collection a little, and also to add one or two key items before we came over.

So I have
BBC B
Atari 800
RML 380Z
Philips MSX2
Apple 2e
Speccy
Zx81
Saturn
Dreamcast
3DO
TurboGFX
Jag
...just the greats, and most have flash devices.

Being over here though doesnt mean I dont seriously lust after an Acorn Atom.. And a UK101.. And a tandy Model 4D.. one day...

Anyway, when I'm over in the new year I'll stop lurking and will drop by!

cheers, Iain :)

Offline AndyRCM

• >=))))º> GO FEED THE FISH! <º((((=<
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #856 on: August 17, 2011, 09:00:11 AM »
Welcome Iain!
Not a bad collection there - must have cost you a large sum to get them shipped over to Canada?
I look forward to meeting you in the new year! Enjoy your time on the forums . . .  :)

Andy
"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

Offline billdooruk

• Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 26
  • I could murder a curry
    • View Profile
    • Our site:-
« Reply #857 on: August 17, 2011, 10:47:46 AM »
Welcom to RCM Iain

Like Andy...hope to meet you in the new year :)

Offline Panther

• Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 35
  • Look at the size of my.......Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: August 17, 2011, 04:16:02 PM »
Not a bad collection there - must have cost you a large sum to get them shipped over to Canada?

Andy

Yeah them RM 380Z and Apple iie's ain't the lightest things !!

Welcomes aboard the good ship RCM Iain  ;D

Offline iainjh

• ZX80
  • Kudos 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: August 18, 2011, 01:15:36 AM »
the answer is a nice big container and a 4 week shipping time between continents ;)

I forgot the c64 and the vectrex.  doh!

See you next year.. Hopefully then I'll have misappropriated funds from the joint back account for an Atom, you never know !

PS I didnt mention my motivation, why have all this stuff. I love the aesthetics, the character, the 'tactile' of the older computers. Plus my dad was a computer engineer (as they called them at the time), so I saw loads of big iron and then I got a zx81. So its his fault.  And then I used to run/manage a computer shop after I messed up O levels in the 80's. So I played a load of games, sold and saw a load of lovely hardware go past but then couldnt afford it. Now I cant afford it and just cant always justify it ;)

cheers everyone

Offline Khashoggi

• ZX80
  • Kudos 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: August 19, 2011, 10:51:49 PM »
Hi.  I'm Julian from just outside Kettering.  Can't compete with most on here, but do have a ZX81 and a 48k Speccy somewhere.  About 10 years ago, I had about 30 retro computers squirreled away in my house, but can not take any credit as they all belonged to my housemate.  I can't be certain, but my old amiga might have made it up to your museum. 

Offline AndyRCM

• Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #861 on: August 19, 2011, 10:58:04 PM »
Welcome Julian - ZX81 and Speccy . . . great stuff - two of my personal favourites! :)
What amiga would it have been? and how/when would it have been donated to RCM?
Cheers
Andy
"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

Offline questor

• user
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: August 19, 2011, 11:11:45 PM »
Welcome Julian - ZX81 and Speccy . . . great stuff - two of my personal favourites! :)
What amiga would it have been? and how/when would it have been donated to RCM?
Cheers
Andy

The 30 machines were mine (got quite good at finding new places to store them) - and the Amiga 500 is in my attic at the moment.

Good to see you on here mate - you thinking of coming along on the 17th - if so let me know if you need/want a lift.

Offline grant74

• ZX80
  • Kudos 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: August 28, 2011, 11:20:56 PM »
Hi all! My name is Grant, I'm 37 and currently living in Linton, Derbyshire. I'm a life-long gaming fan and still own my original Atari 2600 "Vader-style" that my parents bought me as a child, I also own an Atari 800xl modded to 320k (thanks Mike - aka "1200xl"), a Jaguar, and an ST modded to 2mb (thanks Mike again!) - so yes, a definate Atari fanboy! I also own a PS3 and a PSP too - but gimme Atari anyday! if I had to choose 2 consoles to take to a desert island? a tough one but I think the Atari 800xl and the 2600 would just clinch it!
I was introduced to the scene by Mike (1200xl) whom I met through Atariage website - and have loved getting involved with the meets ever since. Look forward to it every time!

Thanks to all for keeping Retro gaming alive - nice to see some younger members at the meets too - always cool to have you guys on board and carry the whole scene forward for us all!

Offline AndyRCM

• Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #864 on: August 28, 2011, 11:22:58 PM »
Welcome to the forums Grant! ;) Always good to have new members on here - pleased that you enjoy our events too! See you for some gaming on the 17th September! ;)

Cheers
Andy

Offline Slasher-Tab

• ZX80
  • Kudos 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: September 20, 2011, 11:40:31 AM »
Hey guys

Slasher-Tab here

just checking this out.

as me and some mates are going to open up a Retro Gaming Museum and lounge/Cafe in Central london ;)

so yeah, If anyone had any massive tips that would be great in regards to any hidden funding that would be availiable.

Thanks a lot peeps ;)

Offline AndyRCM

• Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #866 on: September 20, 2011, 11:42:45 AM »
Welcome Slasher-Tab . . . sounds good - I wish  you well with that.
As for funding - unless you are a charity or know somebody rich - forget it! :( Sorry to be so blunt but hardly anybody is investing at the moment. It has taken us three years to get to a point where we can open to the public.

Cheers
Andy

Offline Panther

• Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 35
  • Look at the size of my.......Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: September 20, 2011, 12:00:14 PM »
Welcome Slasher-tab,

Yeah fundings a bitch, but like Andy said it's taken us a while, so sometimes perseverance is the key  :)

Good luck though.

Offline Slasher-Tab

• ZX80
  • Kudos 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: September 20, 2011, 12:53:07 PM »
we were thinking of making the museum part of the company a charity to see what benefits we would be entitled to (reduced business rates, tax and things like that)

But we scrapped the idea, as doing so would mean the charity would be loaded and the business wouldnt make as much money.

We already have £30k invested because of our business plan.

looking to get £50k total then we can get a premises and start the ball rolling ;)

Got some great contacts so far, Including people up high in ubisoft and konami :d

WE were thinking of getting sponsored by "retro gamer" magazine, have you thought about the sponsorship side of funding at all?

Offline AndyRCM

• Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #869 on: September 20, 2011, 01:05:50 PM »
Yeah we did look at sponsorship but don't like to bow down to other people, we want to do it our way. :)
I look forward to seeing where you go with this . . . keep us up to date on how it goes.
I can see a visit coming up . . . :)

A