Topic: Ultra rare Sinclair ZX Spectrum offspring (NUON) for sale!  (Read 1962 times)

Offline QLvsJAGUAR

• ZX80
  • Kudos 2
    • View Profile
    • QLvsJAGUAR - Lots of information on the Sinclair QL personal computer and the ATARI JAGUAR multimedia system.
Ultra rare Sinclair ZX Spectrum offspring (NUON) for sale!
« on: November 30, 2010, 01:25:28 PM »
Hi folks,

I'm about to sell my NUON gaming system on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NUON-Bundle-Samsung-DVD-N504-Iron-Soldier-3-Gamepad-/230555421919?pt=de_entertainment_games&hash=item35ae2c8cdf

History behind the NUON:
The NUON technology was the successor of the ATARI JAGUAR and was first presented at the E3 show in 1998 (or was it 1997) under the name PROJECT X. The JAGUAR was developed for ATARI by Flare. At that time ex Sinclair Research employee Richard Miller headed R&D at ATARI. After the Sinclair Research sell-out to Amstrad in 1986 Mr. John Mathieson, Mr. Martin Brennan and Mr. Ben Cheese founded a company called Flare which was to develop video game computers. Although the company found limited short term success with chipsets, the concept of a complete system never evolved. Later, Mr. Cheese would go on to design the Nintendo Super FX chip. Mr. Mathieson and Mr. Brennan would become "the co-fathers" of the Atari Jaguar.

So you can see the NUON in the genealogical tree ZX Spectrum, LC3, LOKI, Flare One, Konix Multisystem, JAGUAR, NUON, some NVIDIA chipset logic.

Up for auction is a bundle consisting of:
- Samsung DVD-N504 NUON Interactive DVD Player (region code 2, 220/230V), the remote controller, the manual, the original box. Yes, it's the rare PAL thing.
- Interactive DVD holding the Iron Soldier 3 game (no manual, just the DVD in the shell).
- Iron Soldier 3 game manual as PDF (28 pages).
- Warrior NUON Gamepad, complete with plastic box.

This is all you need to start your NUON experience!

All is in very good condition.

Cheers, Urs
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLvsJAGUAR - Much more than retro!
Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/QLvsJaguar
Pictures: http://cid-c250d8748980ce5a.photos.live.com/albums.aspx

Offline Womble

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 33
    • View Profile
    • Aussie Arcade
Re: Ultra rare Sinclair ZX Spectrum offspring (NUON) for sale!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 09:26:58 PM »
Optimism redefined before our very eyes.
Sic Transit Gloria Atari

Offline AndyRCM

• >=))))º> GO FEED THE FISH! <º((((=<
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 09:50:32 PM »
That sure is a lot of money . . . I love stuff like that but how do people find the money to buy it? :(
"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

Offline Womble

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 33
    • View Profile
    • Aussie Arcade
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 09:54:55 PM »
I have seen them go for between 30 and 50 quid before, its a bit like the CDi, uncommon but not OMG!!!RARE!!!!! The local Crime Converters even had one for a while recently.

Claiming they are somehow magically imbued with the spirit of Sinclair is just silly tho.
Sic Transit Gloria Atari

Offline AndyRCM

• >=))))º> GO FEED THE FISH! <º((((=<
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 09:56:49 PM »
Really? I don't remember seeing one before to be honest. I will keep an out mate for one of those. :)
"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

Offline Womble

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 33
    • View Profile
    • Aussie Arcade
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 10:09:01 PM »
One went recently for US$75

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=130455640683&si=OD8%252BZ0tDdK6gfksPS%252FF29s9RTlM%253D&viewitem=#ht_1394wt_1140

Amazon even sell the units second hand.

Have heard rumours that the Toshiba ones are the most useful as you can download content to them, though quite what sources are left these days I dunno.

Can't comment on the rarity/value of a PAL system seeing as virtually every TV made in the last 10 years will happily take NTSC, SECAM and umpteen flavours of PAL anyway.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 10:15:06 PM by Womble »
Sic Transit Gloria Atari