Topic: Hello everybody  (Read 1407 times)

Offline dan

• ZX80
  • Kudos 0
    • View Profile
Hello everybody
« on: December 06, 2010, 08:38:52 AM »
Hi Everybody,

Just introducing myself - I'm based on the Isle of Wight and I am interested in any old Acorn hardware, particularly the 8-bit stuff. I stumbled across RCM while looking for ways of interfacing a PC Gameport joystick to the BBC Micro's analogue port (if anybody can help with this, please let me know).

All the best,

-dan

Offline Panther

• Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 35
  • Look at the size of my.......Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Hello everybody
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 08:47:52 AM »
Hiya Dan,

Not been to the IOW for a while, used to go all the time !!

Welcome to RCM  :)

I stumbled across RCM while looking for ways of interfacing a PC Gameport joystick to the BBC Micro's analogue port (if anybody can help with this, please let me know).

Over to Phu for this one methinks !!

Offline Phu

• RCM Workshop
  • Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 41
  • Pay no attention to that PCB....
    • View Profile
    • ZX Spectrum Laptop Project
Re: Hello everybody
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 03:04:19 PM »
A genuine analogue stick can be made to work with a BBC Micro, as they operate on the same principle.

If you dig out the analogue port pinout from the User Guide, and look up a PC game port pinout on the internet you can see the pin translations needed.

Normally PC Game ports string the resistors between +5V and ground. On the BBC, you want VRef (which is the absolute high voltage reference for the A/D conversion) rather than the +5V supply on the port. Otherwise it should be pretty simple.

Interfacing digital sticks is a bit harder, as there seems to be some quirk of the A/D circuit that makes normal circuitry not work right. Something that is giving me a right pain in the arse at the moment.

By the way, I'm just up the country from you in Portsmouth :)

-- Richard
8 End of File, RCM:1