Topic: Our MUSEUM . . .  (Read 7463 times)

Offline AndyRCM

• >=))))º> GO FEED THE FISH! <º((((=<
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
Our MUSEUM . . .
« on: October 18, 2008, 11:35:53 AM »
Our Museum at the moment is only online - I wil be adding more machines onto our front page soon - It will definately take us up to almost 100 (if not more!). The reason we don't have a real museum is we are really struggling to find premises big enough to do both the Museum and also the Wheat Free Tea Room. If you can imagine this, 100 or so computers and consoles with either monitors or tvs on tables, accessible to all! The room that needs alone would be massive! Then add in the bits that go with these, such as joysticks, printers etc. phew!!!! Scary isnt it! Then add onto that again . . . tables and chairs for customers to sit and have a coffee, tea or a piece of cake etc, then add in a good sized kitchen! Then also add onto that toilets . . . then last but not least . . . car parking!!! We are aiming to eventually do this BUT - money, location and timing are all a deciding factor! Location wise we are hoping to have it somewhere in the East Midlands, UK. You will all be the first to know any developments regarding this.

Regards

Andy and Linda
"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

Offline combatking0

• Atari ST
  • Kudos 10
    • View Profile
    • Combat King 0's Barcode Battler Site!
Re: Our MUSEUM . . .
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 02:18:02 PM »
How many square metres or square feet do you think you'll need?

It's all squares with me this week  ;D
Retroman!

Offline zerohour

• ZX80
  • Kudos 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 07:06:12 PM »
Good luck with this venture....

I am a member of Museum Of Computing in Swindon.  We at the moment don't have a display room but we have many machines in storage.

We used to used to be at University of Bath in Swindon but it sadly withdrew from the town.

We may resurface in time with a mobile exhibition. Just thought i would wish you best of luck with this... solidarity and all :)

Our website is still up at http://www.museum-of-computing.org.uk

Bri.

Offline PJ

• CPC 464
  • Kudos 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 07:32:24 PM »
@zerohour

Can you tell us what's the latest with the 'Pong to Playstation' exhibition mentioned on your site ? I saw this on the Expositionis site a while ago and it says that it will be on tour again next year, but with no venues detailed. Is this still going ahead, canned or TBA do you know ?

Offline zerohour

• ZX80
  • Kudos 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 08:00:08 PM »
At the moment its all up in the air.  We have our stuff in storage at the moment.  We are negotiating with various people to see if we can get the "Pong to Playstation" exhibit into a mobile concept and take it on the road.  Obviously it means we will have to scale it down to accommodate such.

When we get more announcements I am sure we will put it news of it up on the site.

Well I will considering I am the Web Editor :D

Bri.

Offline AndyRCM

• Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 05:45:44 PM »
Nice to have you on here Zerohour - i was gutted when i heard about your place. After trying to do one myself I can see how hard it is to start something like this . . . why does nobody want to support things like this . . . My bank manager is superb but he can only do so much, it should be something fully supported by the government!

A mobile concept intrigues me now!!!

Andy
"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

Offline combatking0

• Atari ST
  • Kudos 10
    • View Profile
    • Combat King 0's Barcode Battler Site!
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 07:38:32 PM »
Do you still have that caravan? :P
Retroman!

Offline AndyRCM

• Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 09:04:42 PM »
Erm yeah -  :P ah! erm! well! you see . . .  :'(

Offline tte

• Vic 20
  • Kudos 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 10:06:39 PM »
Have you ever thought about becoming a registered charity, or applying for a grant from those lottery people or a arts council,, surely educating people about older computers/technology/ history etc would fit into their critera somewhere, just a thought to get some dosh to get a building :)

Offline AndyRCM

• Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 10:17:35 PM »
We are looking into all sorts of issues at the moment. We did contact the arts council and basically they said that we didn't fit into their criteria! :(
The registered charity idea is maybe the only way we can go, what I would really love though is some sort of corporate/private funding - this would be good but the investment might never make enough for anybody to be interested, but a large donation would be equally as good.

Our other idea that runs in conjunction the museum could be a potential money earner. That idea is our Wheat Free Tea Room - potentially could be superb for Wheat Intolerants like myself, along with Coeliacs and other people who suffer with similiar symptoms. My wife (Linda - TheTwins) is an absolutely superb cook, her cakes, bread and other savouries/sweets etc are simply amazing! :)

Andy

Offline tte

• Vic 20
  • Kudos 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 10:28:13 PM »
have you tryed contacting the local papers, or local Tv and radio, tell them what your aiming to do, might get some secret millionare donate or back you, you just never know,, I love the idea of the wheat free tea room aswell. Write to business people like Richard Branson let them know what your doing, I wonder if there are any celebrities that are into older computers who might donate or put their name to your idea,, just a few different ideas that come to mind :)

Offline AndyRCM

• Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 10:30:50 PM »
Local papers and tv and radio are all being contact for our next event . . . Richard Branson, Alan Sugar etc are two people whom I would love to talk to!
Thanks for your input though matey - always good to hear other peoples thoughts on this - any ideas are cool, between us all we will find the answer!

Andy

Offline Foulkesy

• ZX80
  • Kudos 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 06:23:20 PM »
You could try having weekly themes in the Cafe. Week 1 Amstrad/Spectrum, Week 2 C64/128 + Amiga and week 3 Atari consoles + STs.  That way you don't really need a large Cafe. Or you can change it monthly.

I would like to Speak to Mr Sugar too.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 10:54:29 PM by Foulkesy »

Offline MaxHall

• CPC 464
  • Kudos 13
  • 80s throwback...
    • View Profile
    • Max Hall music pages.
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 09:55:33 AM »
Have you ever thought about becoming a registered charity, or applying for a grant from those lottery people or a arts council,, surely educating people about older computers/technology/ history etc would fit into their critera somewhere, just a thought to get some dosh to get a building :)

Words right out of my mouth...

Max
Max Hall

Producer and Remixer.

Offline comicbooknerd

• CPC 464
  • Kudos 8
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube page
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 02:09:29 PM »
It really is such a shame your stuggeling so much. I can see why possible investors may be weary as you said it may take a long time if at all for them to make a return on there investment. So the dragons den suggestion goes straight out the window on that note. Hopefully with the weekend event next year it may attract more people to come along and in turn make more revenue for you guys. I think the gaming tournaments were a really cool idea but compared to the cost of buying a premises, I know it wouldn't cover the cost of a door let a alone a building to go with it! I guess the more active we all are about getting more people interested in the rcm the better it will become. Have you ever considered doing a few more videos for your youtube channel to raise more awareness etc? You could almost certainly do some cracking reviews on things, hopefully racking up enough views to get a youtube partnership but also to get the word out a lot more.Granted I know putting a proffesional style video together can take time but the end result I'm sure would be brilliant.I'm just spitballing here of course and I have really no idea how to raise such a huge investment, but just a few ideas at least.