Topic: Defective (original Irem) R-Type  (Read 19538 times)

Offline Elgen

• Vic 20
  • Kudos 2
    • View Profile
Re: Defective (original Irem) R-Type
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 10:11:18 PM »
Ok, here are the best I could do.

main board (the one with the JAMMA connector)

close up of the section 2-3 x f-l (hope that makes sense)

close up of the section 4-5 x m-s

lower board (connected with ribbon cables to the main board)

close up of the section 5-6 x c-h

close up of the section 8-9 x b-f

upper board (mounted in 2 sockets on main board)

Direct link to the album on PhotoBucket: http://s1189.photobucket.com/albums/z437/R-Type/ElgenDK/
Hope the quality of the pictures good enough };-D
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 07:00:05 PM by Elgen »

Offline Womble

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 33
    • View Profile
    • Aussie Arcade
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 02:25:48 AM »
Its hard to know what to suggest on this one, if it was on the bench it would be a case of following my nose but remotely that isnt impossible. If you are missing an entire graphics plane then you are either missing the data at its source, or that data isnt being read from the roms, or it is not being mixed in at the final stage of the video assembly.

Go over the board looking for any ROMs or RAMs that are doing nothing on their data pins. If you find any that are doing nothing then check the status of their /OE and /CE pins.

Track rot is apparently a common problem with Irem boards, yours looks pristine on the parts side but bad tracks on the solder side might be a possibility.

Also as your board is a multiboard stack you should also check that the boards have not ever rubbed against each other, the solder sides of boards will scratch the crap out of each other, nicked tracks are fairly common if the board has lost its original standoffs.

Finally I would check the power cable interconnect (the 3 wire linker cable) and the joints of the connectors to see if they are ok. Volt sag on the video board due to broken power linker could cause oddities. Finally check the voltage on a chip at the back of the board that doesn't have the JAMMA connector on it, again checking for volt sag.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 02:36:20 AM by Womble »
Sic Transit Gloria Atari

Offline Elgen

• Vic 20
  • Kudos 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 08:00:58 AM »
Thx mate... now I have a lot to go at (and a day home alone with my son, who just got LegoStarWarsIII in mail, so I'm free to dive into 'cave' in the basement };-D).

I also found that the scanned manual found at KLOV contains a parts list with indication of what is RAM, ROM, TTL etc.

So now I'm going to fire up that ol' scope o'mine };-D

Offline porchy

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 33
    • View Profile
    • JAMMArcade
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 09:04:58 AM »
Just to confirm,
Have you checked your voltages and your not plugging this straight into a jamma harness are you? According to the manual its not standard JAMMA but the board says it is.
Hope you get this sorted mate, please do let us one what you find
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 09:34:43 AM by porchy »

Offline Womble

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 33
    • View Profile
    • Aussie Arcade
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 10:28:19 AM »
According to the manual its not standard JAMMA but the board says it is.

Yea this has caused much confusion over the years, the edge connector is missing some pads for unused functions and feeds, eg there is nothing there for -5V and no test button. What is present does conform to the JAMMA standard, KLOV seem to regard this as a non JAMMA unique conversion class but personally I don't see how this is any different from presenting a fully populated JAMMA edge connector and then not using some pads.
Sic Transit Gloria Atari

Offline porchy

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 33
    • View Profile
    • JAMMArcade
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2011, 11:43:19 AM »
My mistake. Just looked at the manual again, got confused as the numbered and lettered pins are listed together rather than separate. Silly me. Really need to stop using my phone as a primary means of internet access

Offline Elgen

• Vic 20
  • Kudos 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2011, 01:26:59 PM »
I can't seem to find the pinout for TMM2016BP anywhere. Does anybody have a good link or a scan they could send me?

Also is the pinout for all TMM2018* the same?

Offline porchy

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 33
    • View Profile
    • JAMMArcade
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2011, 01:31:50 PM »
I can't seem to find the pinout for TMM2016BP anywhere. Does anybody have a good link or a scan they could send me?

Also is the pinout for all TMM2018* the same?

As far as I recall, the 2016 and 2018 are the same pinout

Offline Womble

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 33
    • View Profile
    • Aussie Arcade
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2011, 04:24:35 PM »
Yes 2015, 2016 and 2018s are all the same pinout, they are all 6116 type rams anyway.

The number after the TMM2018- refer to the max speed rating in nsec, it doesn't affect the pinout.
Sic Transit Gloria Atari

Offline Elgen

• Vic 20
  • Kudos 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2011, 09:59:45 AM »
Phew, that was a bit of a hazzle!
Haven't used a scope since my time at technical gymnasuim some 17 years ago. And I've never used this perticular one, just purchased it some years ago, cause it was a bargain };-D
But now it's (more or less) up and runnin' and calibrated. I've been over all the RAMs now and they seem to live a healthy life with a lot of activity on all address and data lines...some of them I had to probe from the solder side, as they sit under the little 'piggy-bag'-PCB...

Some of them have the 2 upper address pins (A9 and A10) tied low, but as this is clearly intended (I can see the tracks leading to GND with my naked eye), i figure it's because the game only use the lower address space of these chips.
But it actually gave my a crazy idea: If you ever come across a RAM chip where only some of the address space is corrupted and some of the address pins are tied to either high or low, will it then be possible to change to a good segment of the space, by reversing one or several of those pins, without having to desolder and change the whole chip? Just a crazy n00b idea!!!

Next step will be to run over all the ROMs, but I fear what I'll find, as I have no access to an EPROM programmer, and then I'll be kind'a stuck....

Offline porchy

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 33
    • View Profile
    • JAMMArcade
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2011, 10:31:49 AM »
Shame your not UK based. Id gladly check those roms for you.
You could pick up a semi cheap programmer that's very good. The one womble has seems very popular and it tests rams too

Offline Elgen

• Vic 20
  • Kudos 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2011, 10:51:18 AM »
What's it called and where do you find it cheap (link)? Best in EU as Danish Customs don't let anything pass under the radar atm };-(

Offline porchy

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 33
    • View Profile
    • JAMMArcade
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2011, 10:59:49 AM »
I'll let the man himself answer that one although he has mentioned it a few times in his repair logs.
I recall seeing them on eBay quite a bit.
I guess it depends on how much your going to use it and how much your willing to spend.
You can get a cheap willem one that may suit your needs although I've heard very mixed reviews about them, I personally have not used one.

Offline Elgen

• Vic 20
  • Kudos 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2011, 12:07:12 PM »
It has to have a USB-interface, as my laptop doesn't have a parallel port.

Offline porchy

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 33
    • View Profile
    • JAMMArcade
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2011, 12:13:59 PM »
I think its a wellon vp 280 but don't quote me on that  ;)