Topic: Optimistic Arcade Manual  (Read 1515 times)

Offline Womble

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 33
    • View Profile
    • Aussie Arcade
Optimistic Arcade Manual
« on: April 06, 2011, 10:21:47 AM »
I bought an original copy of the Paperboy Manual and Schematics pack the other day even tho the pdfs are available online and found myself rather amused at part of the introduction. Thought it was rather optimistic of Atari.

Your System II cabinet with the PAPERBOY game uses more effective audio than previous games, which results in more player involvement and enjoyment. The System II games use advanced digital sound generation techniques to create realistic musical instrument sounds (such as clarinets, harmonicas, drums, and violins). Although a player may not be consciously aware of the music, it has a direct effect on the excitement and emotional experience of the game.

The PAPERBOY game creates ear-catching sound effects which are designed to give feedback to make the player believe that the game is responding directly to his actions. To maximine the players enjoyment of this enhanced audio and maximise your earnings, consider the following hints-

1) The game location should be a relatively dead acoustical environment. The goal is to minimise unnecesary sound reflection, so that the sounds from the PAPERBOY game won't be drowned out by the accumulation of other sounds that bounce around the room. Carpets help eliminate sound reflections from the floor. Accoustical tile is also useful, especially if you have low ceilings.

2) If you use an enviroment sound system or a stereo, consider lowering its volume or perhaps even turning it off. In the days when video games just made harsh beeps and boops, a central sound system helped make up for a lack of drive and excitement in a game's sounds. But your PAPERBOY game is very musical, and a sound system interferes with the game's ability to interest players and draw bystanders.

3) Be concerned with the overall volume levels in arcade environments. The goal is to involve the players emotions, not to damage their hearing. To a certain point, raising the game volume helps add to player excitement, but above that level it creates hearing fatigue and drives players away. Rather than turning up the volume on the PAPERBOY games to cut through the background sound level, try lowering the volume of any neighboring games that have sounds which are not an attractive or important element. Careful placement of games and attention to unnecessary noise sources can also help increase the player's sense of game involvement and interaction.

Did they really think arcade owners would read this and set out to buy carpet and accoustic tiles, switch off the music and turn down all other games in reverance of the almighty PAPERBOY!!!!

:D

Arcades of my youth were places with an absolute cacophany of game sounds. You could barely make out if a game had music over the din, you were lucky if you could hear the sound effects on most games.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 04:35:00 PM by Womble »
Sic Transit Gloria Atari

Offline AndyRCM

• >=))))º> GO FEED THE FISH! <º((((=<
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
Re: Optimistic Arcade Manual
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 10:33:19 AM »
LOL! What a good read that is mate . . . I will go out now and buy a carpet for our mame cab too! ;)

A
"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

Offline Panther

• Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 35
  • Look at the size of my.......Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 12:14:40 PM »
Perhaps they though that the majority would be bought by individuals with sound proof rooms to play them in  ;D

Offline Elgen

• Vic 20
  • Kudos 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 06:19:09 PM »
Absolutely fantastic reading; this just saved my day, after being pissed off by the bitch at the post office };-D