Topic: Just got a new dog !  (Read 3141 times)

Offline Panther

• Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 35
  • Look at the size of my.......Paws
    • View Profile
Just got a new dog !
« on: April 18, 2011, 11:42:13 AM »
Up until 4 years ago we had a lovely Boxer dog named Zeus who died at the age of Eleven. Since then we have considered getting another dog, but there's always been factors that have stopped us such as, the initial expense of buying one, the kids we felt were a bit too young at the time, holidays etc. etc.

Well finally we've given in, but instead of getting a new puppy we have adopted a retired greyhound, and here he is.

His name is Rio, he's nearly six years old (they can live to 16) and although we have only had him two days, he is extremely well behaved (no mess in the house), taking him for a walk is an absolute pleasure, he walks by your side and doesn't pull etc. and he is very friendly to everyone he meets.

Bit of an issue we have at the moment is that he can climb the stairs, but can't get back down  :-\ and the cats are not best pleased about having him in the house !!

Still it's early days, he needs a bit of training, as he doesn't even recognise his own name yet !!

From my initial experience I would certainly say to anyone who is thinking about getting a dog to consider adopting one of these, the kennels we got him from will even take him in at a really low cost while we are on holiday !

Offline stiggy2009

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 25
  • I eat RetroBrite and Cornflakes for breakfast.
    • View Profile
Re: Just got a new dog !
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 12:45:45 PM »
Well done mate, always nice to see them find a new home.

Offline resident paul

• C128
  • Kudos 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 06:13:32 PM »
He's a lovely dog! :)

As for the name recognising why don't you play the 'Duran Duran' song a few times eventually he'll get it! ;)

Offline Prime

• CPC 464
  • Kudos 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 12:46:54 AM »
He's a lovely dog! :)

As for the name recognising why don't you play the 'Duran Duran' song a few times eventually he'll get it! ;)

But won't that just confuse him after all the song lyric goes "HER name is rio....." :) :)

Seriously nice dog tho and it's good that you are re-homing a rescue dog.....our cats are all rescue cats too :)

Cheers.

Phill.

Offline Panther

• Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 01:14:13 PM »
Cheers guys, he is great, lazy bugger tho' take him out for a walk and he needs a sleep afterwards  ;D

Just wished he got on with the cats a bit better (and they got on with him), suppose you have to remember he was trained to chase small things that move  :o perhaps the cats should learn to play statues  :P

Offline billdooruk

• Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 26
  • I could murder a curry
    • View Profile
    • Our site:-
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 01:23:07 PM »
Just wished he got on with the cats a bit better (and they got on with him), suppose you have to remember he was trained to chase small things that move  :o perhaps the cats should learn to play statues  :P

that made me chuckle to myself :)

Offline PhoenixTLB

• Cowabunga!
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 24
  • There goes Bugaboo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 09:43:42 AM »
What a cutie, lovely colour  :)
Be sure to pray at the Shrine of Bub & Bob

Offline Panther

• Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 10:00:50 AM »

Would you beleive they have real problems rehoming the Black ones  ???

He's now mastered the art of getting down the stairs  :) as one of the cats found out this morning  ;D

Offline Prime

• CPC 464
  • Kudos 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 11:31:10 AM »

Would you beleive they have real problems rehoming the Black ones  ???
I have a friend that works for Cats protection, and she says that apparently black cats are also difficult to home, I'd always asumed it to be because some people considder black cats unlucky, didn't realise that it also happened for dogs.

Odd in any case.

Cheers.

Phill.