Topic: Atari ST - Hard drive  (Read 1858 times)

Offline Panther

• Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 35
  • Look at the size of my.......Paws
    • View Profile
Atari ST - Hard drive
« on: May 18, 2011, 03:47:05 PM »
Being a relative Atari ST Virgin (I've got an STfm, I took it out the box, powered it up and it went back in the box type thing), I wondered why you never seem to hear much mention of hard drives for them.

Why is this ? are they just damn expensive ? difficult to fit ? or something else ?  ???

More out of curiosity than anything  :)

Offline Panther

• Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 35
    • View Profile
Re: Atari ST - Hard drive
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 04:06:47 PM »
Not been able to find much about fitting drives, did find this

"Any ST/STE owner interested in using a HDD is strongly recommended to use the latest TOS available, TOS 2.06 (or TOS 1.04 at a bare minimum)."

How do you find out which TOS you have ?

Offline muguk

• Sarcastic Git plc!
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 32
  • Mug U.K(tm)
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Word Toolbox
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 06:22:57 PM »
Click under the Fuji symbol on the GEM Desktop (from memory).

As for the h/drives - forget them.  Get an UltraSatan or SatanDisk instead.  Boot from the SD card which can also be formatted in such a way that you can move files onto it using your PC :)

Offline Blackpanther

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 16
  • Trust is a weakness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 10:25:37 PM »
Click under the Fuji symbol on the GEM Desktop (from memory).

As for the h/drives - forget them.  Get an UltraSatan or SatanDisk instead.  Boot from the SD card which can also be formatted in such a way that you can move files onto it using your PC :)

or an Sdiskemul :) . As Mike said keep clear of the original harddrives unless you buy a LINK cable and use a more modern harddrive. I would recommend the UltraSatan if you have the money.
Nintendo 3DS Friends Code: 2793-0594-8875

Offline Womble

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 33
    • View Profile
    • Aussie Arcade
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 01:56:36 AM »

Why is this ? are they just damn expensive ? difficult to fit ? or something else ?  ???

A bit of both, hard drives were blimin expensive when the ST was a current machine, and matters were made worse by the ASCI HDD standard that Atari used. It predates even SCSI drives and was not a common or long-lived standard. So you need an adaptor to hook up an IDE or even a SCSI drive to it and they were only made when there was a mass demand, which was short lived. As the ST ended up being predominantly a games machine the vast majority of users had no use for a HDD, even if you get one now virtually no games will support or make use of it. So they never really took off, plus some of the drives made for it required you to manually park the heads before moving the drive meant that many of the original drives were easily destroyed.

These days it is no much better, if you want to use a real HDD you will need to track down an interface card which are rare, as mentioned before if you really want mass storage you are better off getting an UltraSatan - although these suffer from the same price problems as the original HDD options i.e. low demand plus real world production costs makes for a high price per unit.
Sic Transit Gloria Atari

Offline Panther

• Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 07:04:27 AM »
Cheers guys, like I say it was more out of curiosity than anything, looks like the ST will be staying in the box a while longer  :P