Topic: WANTED ----> Acorn Archimedes A3000, A3010 or A3020 <---- WANTED  (Read 7815 times)

Offline JamesX

• ZX80
  • Kudos 0
    • View Profile
Hi,

I just found this site by Googling for an Acorn Archimedes A3000, A3020 or A3010, think I missed a sale on here recently but if anyone has one of these or knows someone with one and wants to sell it please contact me as I'm looking for a nice computer with built in BASIC like this to teach my primary school aged kids how to program and play retro games.

It will go into my retro computer collection along with my BBC Masters, Spectrum 128k, Amiga's, Commodore 64's, Amstrad CPC6128, Atari ST and will be well cared for in it's retirement :-P

Cheers, James...

Offline AndyRCM

• >=))))º> GO FEED THE FISH! <º((((=<
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
Re: WANTED ----> Acorn Archimedes A3000, A3010 or A3020 <---- WANTED
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 11:58:28 AM »
James,
Why not go back a little further and go for a BBC Model B - a machine I used myself in my school days - absolutely superb! :)
We might be able to sort you out with one of those . . . :)
Whereabouts are you in the UK - we will be opening our lovely museum to the public within the next few months - and ready for school visits next term maybe? Is this something that you might be interested in?

Andy
"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

Offline Phu

• RCM Workshop
  • Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 41
  • Pay no attention to that PCB....
    • View Profile
    • ZX Spectrum Laptop Project
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 11:59:36 AM »
I realise this is not the best offer, so you may want to hold out for a better one, but...

I have an A3000 that is in working order with the exception of the power supply. So if you're willing to cover the cost of my replacing the PSU (the existing one is proper dead) you can have it for "free".

It has a 2Mb upgrade fitted, which IIRC gives it 3Mb total. No hard disk/interface but fitted with Risc OS 3.1 and the floppy drive is in perfect working order.

I'm down in Portsmouth, so you can either collect it or pay for delivery costs.

-- Richard
8 End of File, RCM:1

Offline JamesX

• ZX80
  • Kudos 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 12:40:16 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies :-)

I bought 2 BBC Masters from eBay recently as they are great computers so that after I have finished some decorating in the house my 2 sons can have them setup in their rooms to learn programming and play some games on real computers with build in BASIC like we used to have before PC's.

I've always wanted an Archimedes myself as when young I was an Atari ST guy and most friends only had Atari's or Amiga's but no one could afford Archimedes, lol... but as well as finally getting what I desired in my youth I figure it would be awesome for my kids to use Archimedes also.

I'm very gratefull for the offer of the A3000 and will send you a PM shortly :-)

I'm eager to build a nice retro collection so please keep the offers coming :-P

Cheers, James - London, UK

P.S. I'm also very interested in coming to the Museum when it opens to the public.

Offline JamesX

• ZX80
  • Kudos 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 09:52:12 PM »
Hi,

Just a quick update on my search for an Acorn A3000 series computer.

I was Googling and found a link to a guy who posted an A3000 for sale in Gumtree over 6 months ago and just on the off chance I messaged him and he still had it so he's boxed it up and posted it for an all inclusive price of £20, woo hoo!

Also I found a Turtle for the Archimedes just like the BBC used to have turtles in school, except that the Archimedes one is wireless; it comes with manuals, Logo language, disks etc and cost me £35 on eBay, I did try to buy an original BBC turtle on eBay over 2 months ago but got out bid, haha.

Also when I was searching eBay I bought an Atari 520STFM for £1.04 and popped around to the guys house to collect it in London so didn't cost me anything in delivery so quite chuffed that I bought a retro computer for only £1.04... new lowest record price for me :-)

Still searching for an A3010 and A3020 though, and also a Risc PC would be fantastic but they sure do sell for a lot on eBay when they pop up!

Have a great weekend.

James....

Offline Phu

• RCM Workshop
  • Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 41
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 09:29:51 AM »
I take it you won't be needing mine then?

-- Richard

Offline JamesX

• ZX80
  • Kudos 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 09:50:22 AM »
Hi Richard,

Please hold on to it for now as I'm sure another retro collector will come along searching for one, hopefully the one coming my way in the post is not dead on arrival; I'm still looking for an A3020 and A3010 though as I'm guessing I'll then be able to play most of the Archimedes games on the A3010 and more demanding applications on the A3020?

Would it be worth me getting a Risc PC do you think as I have no idea about the volume of archimedes software available or the software requirements so not best placed to guess what machines I'd need to be able to run 99% of Archimedes software?

James...

Offline Phu

• RCM Workshop
  • Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 41
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 10:49:05 AM »
A Risc PC makes an excellent word processing/artwork machine (get a copy of Impression Publisher, and if you can find it, !ArtWorks) but because the CPU is 32bit rather than 26bit like the Archimedes, a lot of games won't run on it.

The best combination is a Risc PC with upgrades (though StrongARM can be costly) and an A5000 with the Arm3.

-- Richard

Offline JamesX

• ZX80
  • Kudos 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 11:10:28 AM »
I've read that some owners of the A3000 series could upgrade their CPU's to ARM3's so I'm guessing the A5000 could run anything the A3000 series and all Archimedes prior to these could... and what you're saying is then Acorn changed their ARM architecture from 26bit to 32bit with Risc PC's?

So to run everything I'd need a Risc PC and an A5000.

I can't believe I grew up always wanting an Archimedes A3000 being an Atari ST owner and then having no knowledge of the following machines such as the A5000 and Risc PC's... I grew up in Cornwall before coming to London and they just never had any magazines for Risc PC's in the shops so no idea they existed, lol...

It's a real shame Acorn went tit's up and PC's became dominant as I'm sure Risc PC's would have wiped the floor with them if they were still around... at least ARM architecture dominates the planet outselling Intel chips ten fold per year and when they launch ARM based laptops I'll be buying one for sure; Microsoft have already ported most of their software in house to ARM architectures in rediness for the hardware to hit the shelves and Linux has supported ARM since for ever :-)

I can't wait to get the renovating out of the way in my house as my Retro collection is getting bigger now and I haven't even turned any of them on yet apart from an Atari STE for 15 minutes to show the kids Black Lamp; and I have so much equipment in boxes ready to setup an electronics lab which will be fun.

I better get on with some work now as am in the office :-P

By for now, James...

Offline Phu

• RCM Workshop
  • Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 41
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 11:16:31 AM »
I've read that some owners of the A3000 series could upgrade their CPU's to ARM3's so I'm guessing the A5000 could run anything the A3000 series and all Archimedes prior to these could... and what you're saying is then Acorn changed their ARM architecture from 26bit to 32bit with Risc PC's?

That's correct. The 26bit program counter register limited the pre-Arm6 CPUs to 16Mb of RAM. To keep up with technology, Acorn was forced to moved to a 32bit architecture with the Arm6. A certain amount of backwards compatibility is retained, but as games often use hacks to make things happen, some incompatibilities crop up.

So to run everything I'd need a Risc PC and an A5000.

Need is such a strong word... Compatibility wise there's not much difference between an A305 and an A5000. The original Archimedes machines have an Arm1. The A3000 has an Arm2. The A3010, A3020 and A4000 have an Arm250, and the A5000 has an Arm3. So as you proceed through the series, the CPU gets faster.

Your A3000 will happily run anything the A5000 will run, but may have less RAM in it, restricting a few of the later and memory hungry titles. Also note that A3000 and earlier and the A3010 don't have a hard disk as they come, so unless your A3000 has a hard disk upgrade you'll be running from floppies. The A3020, A4000 and A5000 by comparison come with hard drives, making life easier.

I can't believe I grew up always wanting an Archimedes A3000 being an Atari ST owner and then having no knowledge of the following machines such as the A5000 and Risc PC's... I grew up in Cornwall before coming to London and they just never had any magazines for Risc PC's in the shops so no idea they existed, lol...

It's a real shame Acorn went tit's up and PC's became dominant as I'm sure Risc PC's would have wiped the floor with them if they were still around... at least ARM architecture dominates the planet outselling Intel chips ten fold per year and when they launch ARM based laptops I'll be buying one for sure; Microsoft have already ported most of their software in house to ARM architectures in rediness for the hardware to hit the shelves and Linux has supported ARM since for ever :-)

I can't wait to get the renovating out of the way in my house as my Retro collection is getting bigger now and I haven't even turned any of them on yet apart from an Atari STE for 15 minutes to show the kids Black Lamp; and I have so much equipment in boxes ready to setup an electronics lab which will be fun.

I better get on with some work now as am in the office :-P

By for now, James...

-- Richard

Offline JamesX

• ZX80
  • Kudos 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 11:40:29 AM »
Oh nice, so think I try to find an A3020 then upgrade it to 4MB ram and solid state HD, then get a Risc PC and that'll be my Acorn collection complete... for now :-)

Do you know, that a few years after arriving in London shortly before the year 2000 I went along with a friend to a computer auction company that had fortnightly auctions of ex-council or ex-education or business hardware and this is where I first seen a Risc PC... I had no idea what they were until I got home that evening and Googled.

But the kicker is that at that time the hall was full of literally hundreds of Risc PC's and the autioneer could not sell them for even £10 each as no one was buying them... maybe they didn't know what they were at the time just like me... if only I could turn back the clock!

James...

Offline JamesX

• ZX80
  • Kudos 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 02:52:10 PM »
Just wanted to update this thread to confirm I have now bought two Acorn Archimedes A3000's and an Acorn Archimedes A3020 on eBay, I've not tested them yet as am in the middle of decorating but they should be fine  ;D

Unfortunately I fell asleep last night and missed out on buying a RiscPC I had been tracking for a week on eBay, it was a StrongArm with 486 card and sold for only £21 with collection in London... bugger, lol

Will keep searching for a RiscPC as then that'll be my Acorn collection complete.

James...

Offline Panther

• Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 35
  • Look at the size of my.......Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 06:15:57 PM »

Unfortunately I fell asleep last night and missed out on buying a RiscPC I had been tracking for a week on eBay, it was a StrongArm with 486 card and sold for only £21 with collection in London.

James...

Was looking at that myself, just haven't got the room.