Topic: SNES + Semi-working Double-Fighter Pro  (Read 1831 times)

Offline muguk

• Sarcastic Git plc!
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 32
  • Mug U.K(tm)
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Word Toolbox
SNES + Semi-working Double-Fighter Pro
« on: August 13, 2011, 10:36:30 PM »
After today's trials and tribulations (with lots of support via text message from Blackpanther), I finally got my SNES (well, one borrowed from RCM whilst Porchy has mine) working through the VGA monitor (olde worlde CRT as the flatscreen one I had couldn't handle most of the modes).  Then, after testing all the carts (Euro, NTSC & Japanese), the only thing remaining was the Double Pro Fighter 2in1.

After almost giving up a few times, I chanced upon a video on YouTube which featured the same model as mine.  But this guy kept saying 'Super Famicom' .. then the penny dropped.  I'd have to run it through the import cartridge that I'd used earlier to test out the NTSC & Japanese carts.  D'oh x tons!

Which is how I ended up with the first picture ... SNES + Import cart (with UK game sticking out the back), Double Pro Fighter plugged into import cart .. and 5 x other SNES games used as a 'shelf' for it to rest on!  Yeah - it worked!

Picture 2 shows the make, model and how much RAM I have.  Blackpanther has said that there's so few games that need more than 24M that I should be fine for most of the titles (his DPF has got 96M apparently) so that's fine by me.

But .. as you can see by pictures 3 & 4 .. the floppy drive is knackered.  So I've kind of hit a brick wall.  The only replacement drive I have has the IDE & power cables on the opposite ends to the Sony one that's in the unit.  Not got spare floppy IDE / power cables that are long enough to allow me to use my spare drive, even if I could.  So it'll have to wait until I'm next at Bowlers (or ask the IT dept on the QT in work!).

But, the main query is probably aimed at BilldoorUK, Phu, Porchy etc.  If I get my SNES (which is currently with Porchy) converted into one of those multi-region BIOS hacks, and always leave it in NTSC mode, can I skip the whole import cart + balance malarky as per picture 1?

Or am I better off saving up for an Everdrive and, with great pleasure, get someone to cut a hole into the pristine boxed copy of FIFA that I have :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 11:22:31 PM by muguk »

Offline Blackpanther

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 16
  • Trust is a weakness
    • View Profile
Re: SNES + Semi-working Double-Fighter Pro
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 01:24:45 AM »
After today's trials and tribulations (with lots of support via text message from Blackpanther), I finally got my SNES (well, one But, the main query is probably aimed at BilldoorUK, Phu, Porchy etc.  If I get my SNES (which is currently with Porchy) converted into one of those multi-region BIOS hacks, and always leave it in NTSC mode, can I skip the whole import cart + balance malarky as per picture 1?

One of my Snes's is multi-region and the backup drive (Same as yours) works perfect everytime without the import cart.

Or am I better off saving up for an Everdrive and, with great pleasure, get someone to cut a hole into the pristine boxed copy of FIFA that I have :)

Everdrive is by far the best device for the Snes so far. The problem with all the backup drives is the floppy disks. Most of the games need to be split onto 2 or even 3 disks which is a pain (Loading etc). The best backup drive is the Wild card DX2 which allows you to connect a Zip drive or CF card to the system. Also the Game Doctor series released a CD drive but these sell for £100+ these days  :-\

So Everdrive is the one to buy.
Nintendo 3DS Friends Code: 2793-0594-8875

Offline porchy

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 33
    • View Profile
    • JAMMArcade
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 08:44:36 AM »
ya, the CIC mod that ive done on mine actually replaces the lockout chip altogether and it  switches the 50/60Hz modes according to reqion selected. This mod even plays the awkward games (Kirby I think was one of them) but that maybe doesnt apply in this case?

If I had the cash spare I would buy an everdrive, it simply looks like the best option.

Offline muguk

• Sarcastic Git plc!
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 32
  • Mug U.K(tm)
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Word Toolbox
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 10:15:01 AM »
OK, so the CIC mod is the way to go for now.  Porchy - how much to mod that SNES of mine? :)

Then I just need to find a multi-region Megadrive ....

Offline porchy

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 33
    • View Profile
    • JAMMArcade
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 10:43:38 AM »
OK, so the CIC mod is the way to go for now.  Porchy - how much to mod that SNES of mine? :)

nowt mate, ive got all the stuff here. You will lose your switch though as its all done using the reset button

Offline muguk

• Sarcastic Git plc!
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 32
  • Mug U.K(tm)
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Word Toolbox
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 04:18:38 PM »

nowt mate, ive got all the stuff here. You will lose your switch though as its all done using the reset button

Nice one squire ;-)