Topic: Memotech ROMs or images thereof  (Read 3936 times)

Offline Andy Key

• ZX80
  • Kudos 4
    • View Profile
Memotech ROMs or images thereof
« on: October 15, 2011, 10:30:40 PM »
I'm not talking about cassette tapes, .mtx file images of tapes, .run files, .com files, or other games/programs as files.
I'm also not talking about the 3 8KB ROMs in every MTX, known as OSROM, BASICROM and ASSMROM.
I'm also not talking about the SCPM ROM in MTX/SDX systems running CP/M 2.2, as I have this (indeed I have the source and created this in the first place)

I mean the following 8KB ROMs, possibly on ROM cards, or even just 8KB file images of them :-

- FDX boot ROM

- SDX ROM in normal SDX disk add-on, providing USER LOAD, USER SAVE, USER RUN and other USER commands to MTX BASIC, allowing it to access the floppy disk

- Speculator ROM

- "Z" ZX Spectrum basic emulator ROMs (probably 3 8KB chips on a 4 socket ROM card, only one or two of these were ever made)

- NewWord word processor

- HiSoft Pascal

- Any of the games which were blown to ROMs for use at trade shows

If anyone has the chips and doesn't wan't part with them, I can probably write and supply a program to read them to a file.

I want to try running some of them in my Memotech Emulator (aka MEMU).

{{{ Andy

Offline Andy Key

• ZX80
  • Kudos 4
    • View Profile
Re: Memotech ROMs or images thereof
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 10:45:59 AM »
Update: I now have

SDX (type 03) ROM, typically put in slot 3, providing USER commands to access the floppy disk to MTX BASIC.
SDX (type 07) ROM, could be put in slot 3, providing USER commands to access the floppy disk to MTX BASIC.
SCPM (type 07) ROM, probably put in slot 4, booting the system to CP/M.
SCPM+SDX (type 07) concatenated together to make a 16KB ROM, typically in slot 4 and 5, in later SDXs.
NODE ROM, as used to network MTXs.

I have integrated one of the SDX ROMs into MEMU, allowing the emulator to use MTX BASIC USER commands to load and save files, stored in the same format as they would have been on the real floppy disks.

Of course, if anyone has other ROMs (Speculator, HiSoft Pascal, games, etc..) I'm still interested.

{{{ Andy

Offline Andy Key

• ZX80
  • Kudos 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 12:37:00 PM »
Update:

I no longer need CP/M boot ROM or SDX ROM images.
I can assemble my own from source.

I no longer think the Speculator had a ROM.
Turns out it has a 2KB RAM instead.

We have the NewWord ROM images somewhere, but these aren't that interesting as NewWord is available on disk.

We have an image of the NODE ROM.

I'm still interested in the HiSoft Pascal ROM(s), and other more exotic ROMs (custom ROMs for games etc).

Thanks.

{{{ Andy

Offline Phu

• RCM Workshop
  • Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 41
  • Pay no attention to that PCB....
    • View Profile
    • ZX Spectrum Laptop Project
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 11:01:21 PM »
Your description of Speculator seems right. If I remember the description, you had to load a "helper" from tape for the compatible game you wanted to play. The helper was essentially a program  (ran in it's own RAM, under interrupts maybe?) and was aware of which bits of the screen were actually being updated as per the game you were playing.

Seeing as there is little in that process that can be put into ROM, it wouldn't surprise me if it only had some RAM in there.

-- Richard
8 End of File, RCM:1

Offline questor

• user
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 11:53:42 PM »
RCM Guys - Pretty sure we had a PASCAL plug-in ROM for the Memotech kicking around - would that be the one Andy is looking for ??

No chance of finding it right now given state of HQ post move - but there is a PASCAL rom for the MTX in there somewhere.

Offline Panther

• Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 35
  • Look at the size of my.......Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 07:41:43 AM »
That is ringing some bells, I'm sure we have one in a box, just need to find the right box !

Needle and haystack springs to mind  :o

Offline Phu

• RCM Workshop
  • Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 41
  • Pay no attention to that PCB....
    • View Profile
    • ZX Spectrum Laptop Project
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 06:46:52 PM »
RCM Guys - Pretty sure we had a PASCAL plug-in ROM for the Memotech kicking around - would that be the one Andy is looking for ??

No chance of finding it right now given state of HQ post move - but there is a PASCAL rom for the MTX in there somewhere.

Yes, we definitely had this, and it was even in a working state.

It might take a while to get it to you though, as it is buried under a mountain of stuff right now.

-- Richard
8 End of File, RCM:1

Offline Andy Key

• ZX80
  • Kudos 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 12:58:13 PM »
We now have images of the Pascal ROM, and run it in the MEMU emulator.

{{{ Andy