Topic: Feedback for Snibston event . . . please?  (Read 2935 times)

Offline AndyRCM

• >=))))º> GO FEED THE FISH! <º((((=<
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
Feedback for Snibston event . . . please?
« on: April 08, 2012, 05:24:55 PM »
Hi,
Many thanks to all of you that visited our little event at Snibston.
Again it was a resounding success for us as we reached a milestone of almost 300 visitors! Nice one.
Please do post your thoughts here . . . good or bad?
Cheers
Andy
"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

Offline MaxHall

• CPC 464
  • Kudos 13
  • 80s throwback...
    • View Profile
    • Max Hall music pages.
Re: Feedback for Snibston event . . . please?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 06:42:13 PM »
Wonderful weekend again Andy, great to see all those systems doing what they were designed to do, PLAYING GAMES!

Enjoyed every minute, only complaint is the weekend isn't long enough, (Will have to make more hours in day!) but other than that a most enjoyable experience again, and great to see friends we haven't seen for along time, and have a good natter.

Enjoyed playing on most of the systems, particular the Amiga 1200 this time...

Keep up the good work...and see you soon.

Max
Max Hall

Producer and Remixer.

Offline rewind

• C128
  • Kudos 13
    • View Profile
    • http://retro-blog.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 06:53:08 PM »
a good day for me even though a fleeting visit most of which was spent on bomberman ;) ;)
Had a go on a visual boy for the first time, eventually. Doesn't half mess your eyes up! Actually the DOF is almost identical to the 3DS, which is interesting.
Anyway, was also nice to have signposts from the MWay - which was impressive!
See you all at the next one!
All sorts of retro related stuff: http://retro-blog.co.uk
Gaming Parts and Spares!! http://www.rewind-bits.co.uk/

Offline woody.cool

• I get Woody for Camy
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 10
  • HADOOKEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 07:32:10 PM »
As usual, had a brilliant time - all positives!

I have two negatives: I didn't have enough cash to buy more stuff LOL and I wish there was more hours in the day (damn it went so quick)

Really looking forward to the members do next month.

Offline blackmaiden

• ZX80
  • Kudos 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 10:19:46 PM »
Thanks to Andy and all the rest who made this weekend another fantastic time to get to meet people and check out some great systems. Great time had can't wait to meet up again. Thanks again everybody.

Offline MrTrev

• ZX80
  • Kudos 2
  • Laugha while you can Monkeyboy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 10:46:15 PM »
Andy, thank you to you and your team! I had a fantastic weekend, I loved every second of it, shame it seemed to go so quickly.
It was a pleasure to meet you and the members of the RCM posse! I'm looking forward to the next meetup! :)

Offline muguk

• Sarcastic Git plc!
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 32
  • Mug U.K(tm)
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Word Toolbox
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 08:04:44 PM »
Positives:

a) Lots of visitors and new faces (staff-wise).

b) The hotel owner recognises me now and I can 'skip the queue' whenever needed and don't need to book via Laterooms from now on :)

c) My birthday cake - still some left in the fridge :)

d) The beer session at Wetherspoons until 10:30pm - we'll have to do that again next time as there was so much lovely beer to choose from :)

Minor negatives:

a) Pity we couldn't have today too .. the queues were almost out of the door whilst we were packing the stuff away.

b) The DivIDE dying on the Friday afternoon.  That's mine, the one from The Lass and now the RCM ones - all duffers in one way or another.  There's got to be a way to resurrect them.

c) My 6128 proving it can CAT a disk and that it's the 12V supply on the monitor that's knackered.  Was all hoppy & skippy and lalala .. until it tried to load something.  Fail and a diagnosis of knackered RAM from questor, Phu and confirmation by the tech bods over at CPC Wiki forum.  Whenever I feel the retro love, it bites me in the arse :(

d) Some personal bad news I received on the Saturday evening just as we were finishing off but won't go into it here.  These things happen at one time or another.

Roll on the next one @ Snibston, whenever that will be.  
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 08:39:41 PM by muguk »

Offline questor

• user
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 10:03:07 PM »
Positives (from a staff view point):

1. Friday was well organised and we set up in record time (partly thanks to the extra van driver!) - consider future bank holidays in our schedule to be open as could have sold tickets (same I guess goes for Monday when we were packing up). We could have opened at lunchtime on Friday or stayed open Monday until 3pm for £3.50 per head or whatever the uplift is in tickets - especially now that we are organised.

2. Great event, busy, fun and 10-player bomberman has to be seen to be believed.

3. Thought the room layouts worked very well with a busy main room and a "slower" side room

4. Great offers from the traders, some real bargains were had by visitors.

Negatives (being picky now):

1. System/TV failures before and during the event - can't be helped and we coped very well in covering with replacements etc. Just now means we have a growing workshop list.

2. Not sure competitions worked as well as the could of - we covered our costs and fun was had so more neutral than negative.... Both worked, but maybe we need to catch people as the come in and have a posted "time" for bomberman to start etc.

Offline Prime

• CPC 464
  • Kudos 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 11:00:17 PM »
Had a good time as normal, just sorry that I had to leave earlier than I had planned :(

Picked up a couple of bargains from the people selling stuff, could prolly have spent twice what I did :)

So what where the final scores for the CE compo ?

Cheers.

Phill.

Offline AndyRCM

• >=))))º> GO FEED THE FISH! <º((((=<
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 11:42:55 PM »
I will post the scores next time I put my laptop on . . . unfortunately Richard (Phu) Gellman massacred your score mate . . .
"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

Offline felicemaggie

• ZX80
  • Kudos 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 09:33:15 AM »

As others have said (and the four of us all agreed) - we had an excellent day out with the RCM crew and visitors on Sunday at Snibston.

Snibston itself is a much better, much brighter and probably even larger (for the space that RCM had alone) than the old village hall at Swannington. We certainly all enjoyed the bonus of having a wander around the museum as well :) Although we didn't eat in the museum's cafe, I noticed that the prices were rather decent, ie, a baked potato with 2 toppings for just under a fiver. I did buy a couple of bottles of coke from the cafe though and these were also reasonably priced at £1.30 each.

Many thanks to Flicky and the other guy (whose name I forget) that were selling the retro kit in 2 of the rooms. The selection of stuff available to buy was seriously good - it was a case of working out what to buy as the prices were very reasonable. I personally came away with a Quickshot 2 joystick and a tshirt, all of which I'm very pleased with.

Greetings to Max Hall, Jackie Mason, Mike Mee, AndyRCM and the rest of the staff crew. The staff all did a wonderful job and there were no problems that I could see.

We'll definitely visit again if another event is held at Snibston !

Cheers,

Rich

Offline Prime

• CPC 464
  • Kudos 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 10:20:13 AM »
I will post the scores next time I put my laptop on . . . unfortunately Richard (Phu) Gellman massacred your score mate . . .

Like I said there are people that make me look like an ametuer :)

Cheers.

Phill.

Offline levs

• CPC 464
  • Kudos 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 06:25:42 PM »
Had great day Saturday, it was good to meeting new people and being able to help out RCM with the day, even got a few games on Soul Calibur in aswell! The Bomberman set up was brilliant, may be one comp in the morning and one in the afternoon to get more use out of it? The Traders were a good bouns with alot of stuff for sale and good prices.
(Monday Snibston was packed with about 1400 vistiors due to the rain so may of been worth running for the day,tho the museum would of been less busy if the sun was out!)

Carnt wait till the next one! Well done RCM! :)

Levs

Offline HeadingtonBard

• C128
  • Kudos 12
    • View Profile
    • Alex Aris Games
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 11:15:33 AM »
Another great event, as per usual. Mary and I enjoyed ourselves. Perhaps we should have played 'Chuckie Egg' a few more times ? ;)

Looking forward to the May event ! ;)

Alex. :)
:: HeadingtonBard ::

[ http://www.alexarisgames.co.uk/ ]

Why not check out Google Play Store for more games to buy and for *FREE* with no adverts or nag screens !