Topic: Cheap 7" Android Tablet (Onda VX610W)  (Read 4024 times)

Offline muguk

• Sarcastic Git plc!
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 32
  • Mug U.K(tm)
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Word Toolbox
Cheap 7" Android Tablet (Onda VX610W)
« on: May 30, 2012, 12:44:25 PM »
This arrived yesterday (29th May) and, with only a few minor caveats, I'm very pleased with what I got.

Pros:

Android v4.0.3 (Ice Cream Sandwich) already installed

Already rooted, so can install the more 'useful' software packages.

Nice big screen (compared to my 4.3" Samsung Galaxy).  The 10" screens seem overly large to me, but I'll probably end up migrating to one later on when pennies permit.

Handles most audio and video formats out there.

Bad points:

You have to uninstall almost everything (I left Adobe Flash behind, but that was it) as it's all stock Chinese software *and* the default input language is Chinese too.  Not a big problem but a quick install of Play Store twigged what apps I would be allowed to install :)

No GPS - quite a few apps on Play Store wouldn't install onto it due to lack of GPS.  Tried a few of the 'fake GPS' apps but Android is clever enough to know it won't work on my tablet, so this means No Facebook via Friendcaster but I can use it via Seesmic.  Odd.

No 3G (but you can add 3G dongle, or use your phone's 3G signal with some sharing)

No Bluetooth (that I could find)

Couldn't get the screenshot function (standard in ICS) working .. normally it's power + volume down, but there's no physical volume buttons.  Ended up installing some screenshot software I had from when my Samsung was running olde worlde Gingerbread :)

Pricing

Total cost: £62 + £12.99 (32Gb Micro SD card from eBuyer) and (when they arrive), a further £1.49 for the 3.5" -> Component TV out leads.

The £62 was inc. the delivery at £5 and this was an auction price, so you could get it cheaper (or more expensive).

Overall

If you don't mind on-screen controls, this is a bigger version of the Gamepad thingummy that Andy's recently bought. Although there's a USB input for power and there's a lot of those 7" tablet cases on ePrey which come with a mini-USB keyboard.  That might get you 'proper' controls for games.  In two minds whether to buy one of these just to see if it'll work with the games ...

Games-wise you get all of Play Store plus it handles most of the emulators very well so you can easily fill up the external SD card with your favourite (legally downloaded, natch!) ROMs.

Apps-wise.  If Play Store allows you to use it, then it's all systems go!

And finally

There are several of this out there on ePrey, all with ICS on them.  I wouldn't waste your pennies on one that has Gingerbread, or worse, Froyo on it.  Unless you know there's a free update out there and you're comfortable with doing the operating system update.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 08:22:01 PM by muguk »

Offline BassHead

• Administrator
  • CPC 464
  • Kudos 7
    • View Profile
Re: Cheap 7" Android Tablet (Onda VX610W) - WIP article :)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 03:23:51 PM »
Sounds interesting.  Did the screenshot hot keys change in ICS?  My phone is still on Gingerbread and the screen capture is power+home.
b(H)

Offline muguk

• Sarcastic Git plc!
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 32
  • Mug U.K(tm)
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Word Toolbox
Re: Cheap 7" Android Tablet (Onda VX610W) - WIP article :)
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 04:19:18 PM »
Sounds interesting.  Did the screenshot hot keys change in ICS?  My phone is still on Gingerbread and the screen capture is power+home.

I bought a copy of Screenshot by Edward something-or-other and never used anything else.  I didn't install it when I went to ICS as I'd read up on the screenshot facility on Modacco.

I've tried all the combination of buttons on this tablet earlier on this afternoon but no joy in getting a screen capture.  So I'll dig out my licence for the Screenshot program and install that :)

Offline muguk

• Sarcastic Git plc!
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 32
  • Mug U.K(tm)
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Word Toolbox
Re: Cheap 7" Android Tablet (Onda VX610W)
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 11:26:31 AM »
Sold at EuroCon in Germany .. wasn't being used as much as I thought it would.

Offline Panther

• Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 35
  • Look at the size of my.......Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 11:56:53 AM »
I've looked at the various tablets before, and to be honest I've still not found that I'm missing anything by not having a smart phone, so just don't think I'd benefit from one !

Offline muguk

• Sarcastic Git plc!
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 32
  • Mug U.K(tm)
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Word Toolbox
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 12:32:29 PM »
It suited my purposes as being an all-in-one portable device to take on an almost week-long trip to various places in Germany (i.e. lots of travelling on the train and a lot of time in hotels with no English channels to watch).

I doubt I could have watched what I took with me on my 4.3" Samsung screen.

Mates on the Retropassion forum (Rp2Mp) are raving about the Galaxy Nexus 7" but, to do Blu-Ray rips - from your original BD discs to help protect them from damage :) - a justice, I reckon you need a higher size screen.

Filecore brought his 10" Asus Prime (I think) with him and that's his main travelling gadget.  That does show the difference between price in the quality and the overall umpf :)

Offline billdooruk

• Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 26
  • I could murder a curry
    • View Profile
    • Our site:-
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 05:48:46 PM »
The ASUS Prime is a lovely bit of kit :)

I'm looking into the ASUS Transformer Pad :)

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/asus-transformer-pad-tf300-t-tablet-pc-with-docking-station-13657744-pdt.html

not cheap but great  ;D

Offline stiggy2009

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 25
  • I eat RetroBrite and Cornflakes for breakfast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 08:55:40 AM »
I'm looking at something like this for emu's as it's got physical controls built in. I won't part with my beloved iPad/iCade setup but something like this would be great for on the go/arm chair gaming. Not sure how it stacks up against other andy-media tablets in the same price range, but for me it just for emulation.

http://www.chinavasion.com/china/wholesale/Android_Tablets/7_Android_Tablet_PC/Android_2.3_A9_CPU_Touchscreen_Tablet_PC_and_Game_Console_Hybrid/

Can usually be picked up for £70 - £80