Topic: me = new member();  (Read 1886 times)

Offline linux_geek

• ZX80
  • Kudos 1
    • View Profile
me = new member();
« on: May 31, 2012, 08:32:35 AM »
Hi
I'm new, unlike some of the machines I own  ;D

First computer I ever saw? A ZX80, that a friends Dad had brought home, that was a long time ago, I was 11 or 12! From that moment on, I was addicted.
Recently I started my own little collection - more like a restoration project, with some machines that I got from fleabay. Funny how most of them smell like a Hobbit's pipeweed pouch! Don't know if that's the electronics, or if these machines have developed a nicotine addiction!

So far, I have managed to get my hands on:

Apple Macintosh Classic (B&W, 4Mb RAM, 40Mb Disk)
Spectrum 128K +2A, with light gun
Acorn Electron (well looked after)
Commodore Amiga 600HD/30

It was nice opening the Amiga and seeing 2 little SCI stickers; I used to work there many a year ago, and was on the Surface Mount production line that populated both the A1200 and the A600 motherboards.

They are all in need of some serious TLC (except the Electron), but that's part of the fun in restoring these pieces of digital heritage.. isn't it?

;)

« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 08:50:49 PM by linux_geek »

Offline AndyRCM

• >=))))º> GO FEED THE FISH! <º((((=<
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
Re: me = new member();
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 09:54:53 AM »
Hello mate - welcome to the RCM forums . . . hope you like what we do - depending on where you live I also hope you come and visit us . . . ;)
"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

Offline linux_geek

• ZX80
  • Kudos 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 08:38:03 PM »
Thanks Andy. Love what you guys are doing. These machines are part of our digital heratige, and a whole generation of us grew up as bedroom programmers. Just a shame that on modern machines, there's so many layers of abstraction, it's hard to get to the real machine anymore.
A pity, as it makes it harder for today's kids to learn about programming, hardware etc.

As for visiting, might need to plan a holiday in that region...  ;D Bit far from Ayrshire lol

Offline billdooruk

• Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 26
  • I could murder a curry
    • View Profile
    • Our site:-
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 10:00:46 AM »
Welcome to RCM...enjoy and there are plenty of peeps on her who can help with technical problems during your restorations....but not me  :o