Topic: Best Home Computer / Console Arcade Ports  (Read 3967 times)

Offline marculos

• Administrator
  • CPC 464
  • Kudos 8
    • View Profile
Best Home Computer / Console Arcade Ports
« on: July 30, 2012, 10:29:34 AM »
discuss :) One of my retro gaming aims in life is to get the best arcade ports of all my arcades favourites. During 80s and 90s I lived by the seaside which in its heyday had three decent arcades. They had lots of arcade greats - Battlezone, Phoenix, Kung Fu Master, Robocop, Double Dragon, Afterburner, Star Wars, Bubble Bobble, Outrun, Chase HQ, Street Fighter 2, Tron, Return of the Jedi, Vigilante,Pacland,  Space harrier, Enduro racer, Wonderboy, Operation Wolf, Splatterhouse etc etc. Those were the days, most arcades these days are rubbish - full of fruit machines and  grab machines, if your lucky you may get a few racing games...I digress .. Here are some of my favourite arcade ports that I can think off the top of my head that I have played..please add to the list and disagree if you want! I'm sure I have left out lots of obvious ones here ..

Outrun             -  Dreamcast
Space Harrier    -  Dreamcast
Afterburner       -  Dreamcast
Chase HQ         -  Spectrum
Bubble Bobble    -  ST / Amiga ? Sharp x68000 supposed to be the best
Street Fighter 2 -  SNES - very debateable, Plays very well on GBA too
Galaga             -  PC Engine
R Type             -  PC Engine, spectrum port is pretty decent too !
Splatterhouse    -  PC Engine
Double Dragon   -   Does anyone know of a good port , used to love this in the arcade and could complete on 10p!
Donkey Kong     -   Atari XL/XE
Frogger            -   Colecovision
Defender          -   Atari XL/XE
Stun Runner      -   Atari Lynx
New Zealand Story - Amiga
Eswat                  - Megadrive
Road Blasters        - Atari Lynx
Snow Brothers       - Nintendo Gameboy
Dig Dug                 - Nintendo GBA
Super Hangon         - Megadrive
Golden Axe             - Megadrive
Pacman                 - Not sure on this one at all, suggestions ? Ms Pacman is great on Atari XL
Tempest                - Atari jaguar
California Games (was this in the arcade ?) - Mastersystem
Parodius                 - Sega Saturn
Pang                      - Amiga / ST / Amstrad GX4000 ?
Rainbow Islands        - Amiga / ST / Spectrum ?
Space Invaders        - Must be on an Atari / Colecovision ?
You fail it! Your skill is not enough, see you next time, bye-bye!

Offline Rink

• CPC 464
  • Kudos 5
    • View Profile
Re: Best Home Computer / Console Arcade Ports
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 11:40:30 AM »
Ah, Double Dragon. I had such fond memories of that as a kid, but every version I've played of it recently has been crap-o-la.

Before I broke my NES, I would perhaps alledge that it was the best version of the arcade game (at least, it seemed half playable)... unlike the Amiga one, for instance, which looks pretty good but somehow plays like s**t.

To be honest, I'm beginning to doubt that it was ever any good in the first place.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 07:27:34 PM by porchy »

Offline marculos

• Administrator
  • CPC 464
  • Kudos 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 12:05:29 PM »
Double Dragon was class in the arcades ( I think), great two player scrolling beat em up with kicks, punches, elbows, whips, knives and baseball bats in your fighting arsenal, music was cool too. I've yet to play a decent port though, I did here the NES version was at least playable but a bit different than the arcade game .. guess will stick with Mame for now then 

Ah, Double Dragon. I had such fond memories of that as a kid, but every version I've played of it recently has been crap-o-la.

Before I broke my NES, I would perhaps alledge that it was the best version of the arcade game (at least, it seemed half playable)... unlike the Amiga one, for instance, which looks pretty good but somehow plays like shit.

To be honest, I'm beginning to doubt that it was ever any good in the first place.

Offline MaxHall

• CPC 464
  • Kudos 13
  • 80s throwback...
    • View Profile
    • Max Hall music pages.
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 01:12:29 PM »
I kinda like Paperboy, and Ghosts n Goblins/Ghosts n Ghouls on the Megadrive, great arcade conversion's, so close to original...also Crazy Taxi on the Dreamcast (Jap one) is as close to the arcade as it gets, just like playing arcade. Also House of the Dead II on the Dreamcast as well, very true to arcade...

Of course, Rainbow Islands on the Amiga, and Donkey Kong on the Atari Xl/Xe as you say are great...

Max

Max Hall

Producer and Remixer.

Offline AndyRCM

• >=))))º> GO FEED THE FISH! <º((((=<
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 01:21:02 PM »
Pacmania on the Amiga
Crazy Comets/Mega Apocalypse (Mad Planets) on the C64
Scramble on the Vectrex
Pole Position on the Vectrex
Ghosts n Goblins on the C64
Commando on the Atari 2600

:)
"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

Offline Prime

• CPC 464
  • Kudos 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 04:10:13 PM »
Gauntlet II on the megadrive (as Gauntlet IV), I believe it even used some of the same code as they where both 68x00 based.

Cheers.

Phill.

Offline Scarlettkitten

• Enjoy the silence
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 30
  • Queen of the 3DO people
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 04:20:07 PM »
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo :- 3DO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7kvA7if8SY

Offline porchy

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 33
    • View Profile
    • JAMMArcade
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 07:18:33 PM »
I kinda like Paperboy, and Ghosts n Goblins/Ghosts n Ghouls on the Megadrive, great arcade conversion's, so close to original...also Crazy Taxi on the Dreamcast (Jap one) is as close to the arcade as it gets, just like playing arcade. Also House of the Dead II on the Dreamcast as well, very true to arcade...

Of course, Rainbow Islands on the Amiga, and Donkey Kong on the Atari Xl/Xe as you say are great...

Max

Crazy taxi and HOTD2 in the arcade were on the Naomi platform. The Naomi is pretty much a dreamcast with a few tweaks. It originally ran on carts but they released a gd rom addon for it. Every game that was converted to home console it almost perfect as a result.

Thankfully sega released a CF replacement for the gd rom drive on Naomi but its also possible to netboot games on to it. I love my Naomi ;)

Frogger on the Vectrex
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 07:27:04 PM by porchy »

Offline marculos

• Administrator
  • CPC 464
  • Kudos 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 10:03:53 PM »
Oh dear just googled Naomi .. want want want !!

Forgot about Virtual Fighter 2 and Sega Rally on the Saturn both class. SF II on 3DO ..interesting ... one port I've never seen

Max

Crazy taxi and HOTD2 in the arcade were on the Naomi platform. The Naomi is pretty much a dreamcast with a few tweaks. It originally ran on carts but they released a gd rom addon for it. Every game that was converted to home console it almost perfect as a result.

Thankfully sega released a CF replacement for the gd rom drive on Naomi but its also possible to netboot games on to it. I love my Naomi ;)

Frogger on the Vectrex

Offline resident paul

• C128
  • Kudos 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 10:33:43 PM »
Space Invaders (TI Invaders) for the TI 99/4a is a good port + bonus mothership levels.

Offline Scarlettkitten

• Enjoy the silence
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 30
  • Queen of the 3DO people
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 10:49:12 PM »
For Double Dragon I'd have to say Sega Master System, the sprites are smaller but it plays very well.