Topic: 8 BIT Basic Game Contest  (Read 2180 times)

Offline discomeats

• ZX80
  • Kudos 0
  • More gravy, man.
    • View Profile
8 BIT Basic Game Contest
« on: October 02, 2012, 05:27:12 PM »
http://rsp.retrocomputacion.com/

Anyone going in for this?

Hope this isn't classed as spam :) thought it might be interesting to folks that might not have seen it.

-
None of the above is likely true.

Offline AndyRCM

• >=))))º> GO FEED THE FISH! <º((((=<
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
Re: 8 BIT Basic Game Contest
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 06:37:47 PM »
Nice link - many thanks for that! :)
"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

Offline Rink

• CPC 464
  • Kudos 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 01:51:55 PM »
Should be, yes.

I know the deadline is not til April, but time is slowly ticking along and I had been hoping to be further ahead than I am.

Offline carlsson

• Vic 20
  • Kudos 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 04:25:11 PM »
Nice initiative, but I'm slightly confused about the rules. You may not include inline assembly (or in the form of DATA statements to be POKE'd and then run), but you may use a wide row of 3rd party Basic extentions and even compile your game which will cause it to look like machine code anyway? Back in the days, very few of the listings in the magazines relied on Basic extentions, just so it should work for anyone. In this set of rules, it seems even GEOS is allowed on the C64 platform.

While a multi-platform event never can have 100% fair rules, I think it should be a little more strict and equal when it comes to hardware and size limitations, language features and so on. I'm sorry if this comes out as bickering.

Anyway, I'm having a hard time developing a polished game in Basic. Nowadays I think it is fine for prototyping or CSSCGC entries, but for anything that I'd like to be proud about, I think I would involve so much machine code (or even compiled C etc) that it would be disqualified anyway.

Offline Rink

• CPC 464
  • Kudos 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 08:45:04 AM »
You can only compile your game if you provide the runnable BASIC source code. So essentially, they're just giving you a speed boast to your BASIC program... which seems fair since a magazine listing that needed more speed would have used DATA statements for machine code but we're not allowed to do that.

Don't know about the extensions exactly - didn't read that because I don't have any.