Topic: Soldering on!  (Read 2355 times)

Offline MrTrev

• ZX80
  • Kudos 2
  • Laugha while you can Monkeyboy!
    • View Profile
Soldering on!
« on: October 07, 2012, 10:10:11 PM »
Just wondered if I could pick your brains. I'm about to upgrade my soldering setup and as such I'd like to hear your recommendations for gear. I'm looking for a variable iron (my 25w Antex has had it's day), something that will work with traditional components and  SMD stuff. Plus a de-soldering station. Hell while I'm at it, I may just upgrade my meter too. So what do you reckon is the business and best bang for the buck? 

Offline porchy

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 33
    • View Profile
    • JAMMArcade
Re: Soldering on!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 03:20:21 AM »
For a multimeter I personally like Fluke
Metcal is my soldering iron brand of choice but they are expensive.
For smd stuff I'm using a cheap hot air rework station I got from cpc, not sure of brand but it does the job nicely.

Offline sirmorris

• Atari ST
  • Kudos 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 10:43:31 AM »
Anything by Hakko. I couldn't recommend my soldering station more - it's only a low-end machine (fx888) but it is such a great quality piece of kit. And the sole distributors in the UK (http://www.dancap.co.uk/) are a model of how a family business should be run. Don't be put off by the web site. Call them and have a chat. I spent a happy half hour talking with someone there about my choice of soldering tips.

C
-=-= Will Hack Hardware For Beer =-=-

Offline Scarlettkitten

• Enjoy the silence
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 31
  • Queen of the 3DO people
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 06:42:13 PM »
I use Kada (cheap Hakko clone) hot air gun and Aoyue soldering station, have been used without faults for years now :) s

Offline MrTrev

• ZX80
  • Kudos 2
  • Laugha while you can Monkeyboy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 10:47:59 PM »
Thank you all for the responses so far. I'm going to start researching! And yes I'd love a Fluke, awesome meter's! Better ask Satan for one for Xmas! BTW, that wasn't a typo ;D