Topic: Writing BBC 3.5" disks  (Read 1508 times)

Offline billdooruk

• Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 26
  • I could murder a curry
    • View Profile
    • Our site:-
Writing BBC 3.5" disks
« on: October 27, 2012, 08:46:03 PM »
Can anyone help with an idiots guide!!!

I can not seem to write a .SSD game image to a 3.5" floppy disk (with one hole) what am I doing wrong???

This is what I currently do:

Format disk on PC using OmniFlop using these options:

40/1/10x256 Acorn BBC DFS 40-track single sided 100kb  or using 80/1/10x256 Acorn BBC DFS 80-track single sided 200kb as both work

Say's disk has formatted successfully :)

If I try to use OmniFlop to write a disk it says "failed to write to the disk. The operation was abandoned" - this includes a game image I have downloaded and a game image I have created from a BBC B Disk Phu has given me - as I know the original runs on the machine ok and it created the image without any problems.

also...I format the disk on my BBC B using formatting software (I can't remember the name but it displays "Utilitie" above the menu)  and it fails on track 28 when I try to format as drive 0 and 40 track (when I try drive 0 and 80 track it fails on track 50)

What am I doing wrong ???

Offline porchy

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 33
    • View Profile
    • JAMMArcade
Re: Writing BBC 3.5" disks
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 09:19:21 PM »
With omniflop I found I had to boot an old pc into freedos or actual dos to get it to work properly. Dosbox didn't work.
I know omniflop does work for the bbc 3.5" as the guy I got mine from said he used it all the time. I've never got round to trying it though