Topic: Silicon Dreams - 5th-7th July 2013 (Updated)  (Read 2550 times)

Offline AndyRCM

• >=))))º> GO FEED THE FISH! <º((((=<
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
Silicon Dreams - 5th-7th July 2013 (Updated)
« on: January 01, 2013, 11:31:08 AM »
Silicon Dreams

The new year gets off to a great start with the announcement of Silicon Dreams, the UK's first festival to celebrate the silicon chip. This will take place at Snibston Discovery Museum, Coalville in Leicestershire. Snibston is an overlooked gem of a visitor attraction for everyone - it's also quite centrally located and easy to get to no matter where you're travelling from. Mark the date in your diary - 5th-7th July.

This will be a family event including computing workshops, retro computing, vintage gaming, film and arts and electronic music. On top of all this, there will be all the attractions of our host venue including science galleries, a toy box gallery, fashion gallery, industrial engineering exhibits, transport gallery, a heritage railway and an area for under 5's. It will be the first of its kind and we think that it will be a very special weekend for everyone.

In amongst all of that lot will be the second Vintage Computer Festival GB. The inaugural event was held in 2010 and hosted by The National Museum of Computing and Bletchley Park. Those who were key to the 2010 event have returned to take up the challenge again!

Silicon Dreams is a much broader, family-oriented festival for families, geeks, schoolkids, big kids – just about everyone. That plus the demand for another VCF and... well, you're effectively getting two festivals for the price of one. Our charitable beneficiaries will be the Centre for Computing History, the Retro Computer Museum and the Raspberry Pi Foundation.

To the 2,500 people who attended VCF-GB 2010, I hope you will come to the 2013 event at Snibston. To everyone else, we'd love to see you too, as there really will be something for everyone. We realise that many of our visitors have families, and not everyone in the family is a geek! It won't be dumbed down - we'll just have lots more variety.

We hope to have a website running very soon, but in the meantime the holding page has links to our Facebook and Twitter pages.

http://www.silicondreams.org.uk/

you can also find out further details on their facebook page here:-

https://www.facebook.com/silicondreamsgb?fref=ts

and further information here - several events are planned for the weekend including a fantastic concert with Heaven 17! :)

https://www.facebook.com/silicondreamsgb/events

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 01:19:03 PM by AndyRCM »
"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

Offline tubblog

• ZX80
  • Kudos 2
    • View Profile
Re: Silicon Dreams - 5th-7th July 2013
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 05:58:16 PM »
This looks great Andy! Thanks for the advanced warning - I've put it into my diary as I've never been to the Snibston Museum before and this looks like a great excuse!

Cheers,

Ric.

Offline g4ugm

• ZX80
  • Kudos 2
    • View Profile
Re: Silicon Dreams - 5th-7th July 2013 (Updated)
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 09:56:46 PM »
 Went today. Much better than expected and well worth the visit, but sadly thinner than last time...
Always looking for an Analogue Computer

Offline AndyRCM

• Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 08:50:33 PM »
What a great weekend - unfortunately the turnout wasn't as good as expected but the entertainment Saturday night was just fantastic - a great show with a lot of machines and stuff to do . . . well done to Simon H and his team.

A
"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

Offline AndyRCM

• Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 07:51:10 PM »