Topic: Standard Windows GUI stuff in FreeBASIC  (Read 5379 times)

Offline muguk

• Sarcastic Git plc!
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 32
  • Mug U.K(tm)
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Word Toolbox
Standard Windows GUI stuff in FreeBASIC
« on: April 22, 2013, 01:28:12 PM »
Has anyone tried to code a proper looking Windows GUI-based util in FreeBASIC?  I know AndyRCM uses this for his games etc. but I prefer to code utilities :)

I can knock these out with ease in VBA / VB Script but trying to make it look a bit more polished and as a stand-alone .EXE file (without having to launch Word first) is proving a little cumbersome.  I'm allowed to install FreeBASIC because it's freeware .. my last attempt at this was doing it in PureBASIC but as that's not a company-licensed copy, I can't install it on my work machine :(

It's a simple GUI front-end to (when I've converted it) a simple VB Script-based code to auto-generate x number of HTML lines of code for our stock Intranet page.  Start simple and then learn as I go along.

It features (so far): One input box, one spin box and a wad of checkboxes.   It can't be *that* hard, can it?   

I'm using FireFly GUI editor to craft the GUI first as that allows me to (like VBA) double-click on a form item and put the code behind it.  It seems easy enough so far ... anything I should be aware of that are known FreeBASIC foibles?

Offline AndyRCM

• >=))))º> GO FEED THE FISH! <º((((=<
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
Re: Standard Windows GUI stuff in FreeBASIC
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 01:53:15 PM »
I write utilities in FreeBasic too mate . . . just don't publish them as they are usually for me to do stuff behind the scenes for games etc.
FreeBasic is excellent for stuff like this to be honest - can't see you running into any major problems. Storing data is pretty easy too.
If you need any pointers (!) let me know . . .

A
"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

Offline muguk

• Sarcastic Git plc!
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 32
  • Mug U.K(tm)
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Word Toolbox
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 02:28:04 PM »
Cheers Andy .. it seems like it's a case of getting used to how it handles the simplistic stuff (message boxes, input boxes and such like) that I know how to use in VB stuff.  Also looked at Q7BASIC as that allows full VB-style language, but that might be for home-use only as it's a "pay for" language + compiler (£30) but it looks exactly like VB6/VBA :)

Offline porchy

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 33
    • View Profile
    • JAMMArcade
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 06:57:18 PM »
you can get the express versions of VB.NET free from MS if thats any help? They are pretty bloated but works well for me

Offline muguk

• Sarcastic Git plc!
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 32
  • Mug U.K(tm)
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Word Toolbox
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 10:10:45 PM »
Vague memories of trying VB Express a few years ago.  Nice and easy to develop for, but what a load of bloat to get the same code running on multiple machines - i.e. I work in a team of 4, so that's 3 x lots of forms to fill in for the support files to be copied across before anyone else can run my programs..... compared to a 5K VB Script file :)

I've installed that Q7Basic this evening for a play.  14-day trial to see if it's as VB6/VBA/VBScript compliant as it says it is.  It lets you use the VB Express as the GUI designer .. until I went to install it and it wants a further 75Mb download of SQL something-or-other.  Lost patience with it for now, so will have another look tomorrow.

Offline Rink

• CPC 464
  • Kudos 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 09:27:36 AM »
but what a load of bloat to get the same code running on multiple machines - i.e. I work in a team of 4, so that's 3 x lots of forms to fill in for the support files to be copied across before anyone else can run my programs..... compared to a 5K VB Script file :)
?

Your work/team machines don't have .NET installed? I thought it was only my retarded company that decided to filter .NET from the Windows builds/updates. FWIW Windows 7 comes with .NET 3.5 framework installed by default usually, and Windows 8 has .NET 4.5.

Edit: Sorry, that's misleading. Win8 has .NET 3.5/2.0 installed as well but it's not "enabled" by default. However, you can just enable it in the control panel. So 3.5 is a pretty safe target if you're using WinForms for GUI. Although WPF is soooo much nicer. :D

Offline muguk

• Sarcastic Git plc!
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 32
  • Mug U.K(tm)
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Word Toolbox
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 10:37:14 AM »
You wouldn't believe the rules in place for where I work :)

E.g. Our Infrastructure had to roll out Windows SP1 last month ... and then abort it because it caused no end of problems with some of our legacy systems.  Luckily the problem was fixed but Windows SP1 has been out for how long already?

I've been looking more into a library for FreeBASIC that allows me to tinker with Word files (as that's the majority of my VBA coding requirements).   Looks like it could replace the need to keep creating 'quick fix' macros once I can get the hang of FreeBASIC.