Topic: Micro$oft XBox 1 vs $ony PS4 . . .  (Read 6339 times)

Offline AndyRCM

• >=))))º> GO FEED THE FISH! <º((((=<
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
Micro$oft XBox 1 vs $ony PS4 . . .
« on: June 11, 2013, 08:17:13 AM »
Thoughts on this . . .

Hardware is too close to call . . .
Prices? $100 different in the favour of  $ony
Online gaming - I don't personally play . . .
Can play 2nd hand games . . . $ony wins again . . .

. . .
"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

Offline muguk

• Sarcastic Git plc!
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 32
  • Mug U.K(tm)
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Word Toolbox
Re: Micro$oft XBox 1 vs $ony PS4 . . .
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 08:48:39 AM »
M$ shot themselves in the foot with their draconian "you can't sell on the games" (*) and the overpricing.  $ony must have been rubbing their hands with glee when the Xbox One price was announced.  And/or just looked at the bottom line and went "yes, we'll lose money, but look at all the games we can sell on and on and on".

Will I jump to PS4?  Probably not.  I think it's time for the next-gen to be giving a nice shiner and with some of the new Android-powered consoles where you can use Play Store and pay for the games you want to play instead of the ones that are the "must haves".

(*) unless you play their silly games, and don't mind being ripped off as the 2nd-hand purchaser, and you're the friends of the seller for at least 30 days.

Offline AndyRCM

• Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 08:52:36 AM »
I have to agree Mike - I think android could EASILY mess up the next gen of consoles! ;)

A
"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

Offline questor

• user
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 09:08:41 AM »
Both are very close in terms of hardware - but underlying design of PS4 should take the lead - but it may take a year or so for it to be pushed to the max.
Price difference is really significant and will be a winning strategy (See Nintendo Wii)
Used games / lending games has always been a huge part of the eco-system and I think those who pay attention will be leaning towards PS4.
iPlayer/NetFlix/Lovefilm/etc - integration of these is VERY useful as is the ability to play Blueray/DVD - but its not the core focus.

But I also agree that the elephant in the room for the casual gamer is Android - especially for the casual gamer where the range and style of games are very much pickup and play.

I won't be rushing to buy either this time - I still have a catalogue of games for earlier systems that I need to play before I die - so they get priority right now - its not all about the latest and greatest  ;D

Offline flibblesan

• ZX80
  • Kudos 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 09:11:45 AM »
I'm perfectly happy with my PC - which plays modern & retro games, my Xbox 360 and one of those Android-based things. Probably the GameStick.

I'm not paying £330 or £430 for a console.

Offline Greg

• Subscriber
  • ZX80
  • Kudos 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 09:30:19 AM »
I'm so glad that I'm into retro gaming. No corporate controlled and owned DRM servers are required to enable my carts and tapes to work. Long live retro.

Offline AndyRCM

• Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 09:32:24 AM »
Yeah - looks like MOST of us won't even bother . . . RETRO FTW! ;)

A

Offline Rink

• CPC 464
  • Kudos 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 10:14:34 AM »
Well... I never liked Sony.

But the used game thing was a critical point for me - both as someone who doesn't game enough to play everything when it's recent, and as someone who collects/hordes and appreciates retro gaming (one day, long after the activation servers are turned off, Xbox One and PS4 will be retro).

Throw in a few other things like having a crappy internet connection and not wanting Microsoft recording me 24/7 and passing that AV data to the American government, and it was clear that my attention would have to turn to Sony.

They delivered, IMO. And at £320-£360, I probably will buy one although it is more than I would like. Plus I think that gamers need to take a stand against the unpopular measures Microsoft are trying to bring in, and the only way to do that is to spend your money with a competitor.

Atlus's seemingly unwavering loyalty to Sony is also a factor for me to consider.

I don't want a media hub (every device in my house can play videos over the network and watch Netflix etc.), I want a games console. Would have liked to support Nintendo but that's hard with no interesting games yet.

Offline resident paul

• C128
  • Kudos 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 11:05:14 AM »
But the used game thing was a critical point for me - both as someone who doesn't game enough to play everything when it's recent, and as someone who collects/hordes and appreciates retro gaming (one day, long after the activation servers are turned off, Xbox One and PS4 will be retro).

Will the X-box One is needed to be connect to play the games when it is retro?

Offline AndyRCM

• Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 11:41:53 AM »

That is the problem Paul - the servers will be long closed down/deleted etc when these poor things are retro! So unplayable! :(
I guess that is why what the Retro Computer Museum and all of our friends are doing in the scene is EVEN more important - we need to preserve what we have now as in the future there will only be three/four manufactures (at the most).

Offline Greg

• Subscriber
  • ZX80
  • Kudos 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 12:24:13 PM »
That is my concern too. Piles of unplayable tech when it becomes retro. Like downloaded apps from clouds etc - where's the hard copy??? Where's the servers to activate the software???

Offline rewind

• C128
  • Kudos 13
    • View Profile
    • http://retro-blog.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 12:24:29 PM »
I'm not buying either but as I said on facebook, I've never in my whole life seen a company serve another's backside up on a plate to them like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kWSIFh8ICaA

And whilst I'm not a fan of Sony, I think it's hilarious.

I may consider the PS4 at some point in the future, but only when its down at sub £200, which is where I usually jump onto a console. Although since my current pc hardware is level with the PS4, and given the price you can currently get PC games for (humble bundle etc), even that's not terribly likely.

The xbox's "features" are shameful and wrong. And I hope the gaming community sticks it to them as a clear message. Sadly the most likely outcome here is that MS will water down all those horrid features to the point they become borderline acceptable, and they'll pull it off. Simcity style. Grr.  >:(
All sorts of retro related stuff: http://retro-blog.co.uk
Gaming Parts and Spares!! http://www.rewind-bits.co.uk/

Offline questor

• user
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 12:35:43 PM »
And Sony have also now confirmed the PS4 is REGION FREE out of the box and the HDD is customer upgradable.
Bye bye Microsoft - was nice knowing you - go and join Sega and Atari in the console history book (and I'm not a Sony fanboy either - just a realist).

So - whose money is on Microsoft selling off their Xbox division sometime next year.....

Offline Scarlettkitten

• Enjoy the silence
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 31
  • Queen of the 3DO people
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 10:19:32 PM »
And Sony have also now confirmed the PS4 is REGION FREE out of the box and the HDD is customer upgradable.
Bye bye Microsoft - was nice knowing you - go and join Sega and Atari in the console history book (and I'm not a Sony fanboy either - just a realist).

So - whose money is on Microsoft selling off their Xbox division sometime next year.....

My thoughts exactly.

I'll stick with my 360 for a while for modernish stuff.

Offline Gaztee

• Vic 20
  • Kudos 7
  • No longer living life in VR
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 12:01:50 PM »
Got my PS4 on pre-order, happy that Sony are sticking with what they've done on PS3 with used games. I find MS's stance with a lot of things really arrogant. It seems they've turned into Sony 2005, when they were flogging the PS3 as a multimedia device.
I never did get the attraction of the 360. I just don't like those joypads, i still think they're a horrible cheap thing, with all the comfort of a 3DO pad. The xbox controller S is still my favourite joypad! \Never experience the online stuff with MS, so am happy to stay with Sony especially as PS+ is such a great service these days.
Android gaming is gonna increase for sure, but I'm sure there are enough people who want a full console experience still. Has anyone actually got a OUYA yet? The reports I've heard about it are not great.
Aircars 94 for the Atari Jaguar now available at aircars94@jagfest.org