Topic: Anyone want help writing a user guide?  (Read 2168 times)

Offline Rink

• CPC 464
  • Kudos 5
    • View Profile
Anyone want help writing a user guide?
« on: August 28, 2013, 10:28:47 AM »
I'm lucky enough to be coming to the end (90% certain) of the job I've suffered through for nine years, and am thinking of a making a move from software/app development to technical writing; preferably writing user guides etc. for software. As part of that, I need to start building up a portfolio (and practicing) so am on the look out for anyone who wants some free help.

Thought I'd post here because if I could find someone who's working on something retro-computer related, and could use me, then it'd make this much more enjoyable. :)

Feel free to PM me.

Offline muguk

• Sarcastic Git plc!
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 32
  • Mug U.K(tm)
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Word Toolbox
Re: Anyone want help writing a user guide?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 11:26:18 AM »
It's a job I've done for the last 10 years (3 different employers, plus numerous articles written / proofread etc.) and it's - mostly - fun.

Currently I'm proofreading a load of websites that the company I work for bought years ago and hadn't kept up to date with the text on their main website.

As for the free work, last year I proofread the manuals for two different Atari Jaguar games that were released: Impulse-X and Flashback. 

Offline Rink

• CPC 464
  • Kudos 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 01:00:53 PM »
Ah great - I didn't realise that's what you did mate. Have sent you a PM response and LI invitation in case general writing chit chat gets boring for the forum. :D

That's a fun idea - I hadn't considered the homebrew games and software scenes as a potential source of experience. That must have been an interesting gig for a retro computing fan!?

Offline muguk

• Sarcastic Git plc!
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 32
  • Mug U.K(tm)
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Word Toolbox
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 03:07:14 PM »
That's a fun idea - I hadn't considered the homebrew games and software scenes as a potential source of experience. That must have been an interesting gig for a retro computing fan!?

Impulse-X was purely out of me reading a preview of his manual at an eJagfest (in Germany) a few years ago.  The game took a lot longer to be made available (I think the cartridge version is still on-going) and it was nice to get a copy of the game on CD for my efforts (plus my "name in lights" in the manual).

Flashback was also due to the French Atari Connexion show.  I used to help fully translate the 'Franglais' that was in the ST Magazine English issues and from there my name was associated with (or maybe someone mentioned it at one of the events) and I was sent the manual to look through.

Offline Rink

• CPC 464
  • Kudos 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 08:45:51 PM »
Pretty cool.

Right place, right time. I'll have to keep an eye out for stuff like that.