Poll

How do you rate hacked / Modded ROMS

Most are Great
A few are good
Whats a hacked ROM?
Most are bad
They are all terrible

Topic: Hacked / Modded ROMS ... Hot or Not?  (Read 3912 times)

Offline rain_storm

• ZX80
  • Kudos 1
    • View Profile
    • org_100h
Hacked / Modded ROMS ... Hot or Not?
« on: July 09, 2008, 06:02:37 PM »
Well I suppose they can be weird and even misformed at times but some are interesting. I like it when the developer has redone the entire story and added like a new installment to a classic series. This is destroyed by the weirdo developers that take pleasure in seeing Mario running around butt naked. I am not including the translated mods as they always seem to remain truthful to the original game cant say for sure cos I only speak english

Offline AndyRCM

• >=))))º> GO FEED THE FISH! <º((((=<
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
Re: Hacked / Modded ROMS ... Hot or Not?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 06:16:25 PM »
I know what you mean - a game that was hacked to bits was Duke Nukem 3D - the official mods were excellent - some of the other stuff that came out was shite!
I even had a go at level editing myself but they were even more shite!

Andy
"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

Offline Shockwave

• RCM Programmer.
  • user
  • C128
  • Kudos 14
    • View Profile
    • My Home Page
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 09:20:14 PM »
There were some pretty cool mods for the Sims that added value to the game, in fact modding games is often a path that leads people to work in the computer games industry.

I'm for it if it improves the game or adds some features to it.

For instance, new barbaric weapons and cars for GTA would be great.

Offline Zetr0

• ZX80
  • Kudos 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 01:19:13 AM »
I remember playing an Alien Breed MOD for Unreal Tournament, it was a beta, but it really was fantastic!!! alas i think it got canned.

It had a Top Down over view, slightly oblique (similar to Loaded on the PSX) it had not only multi-player but also in-game bot-team commands too... i wonder what ever happened to it...

Another couple of MODs that went Independent and commercial were infact Heratic and Hexen, using the DOOM / Quake engines from ID

infact in a lot of ways games today are built on licensed code so there mods of mods of mods LOL but there comes a gem once in a while :)
If i had a hammer, I would hammer in the morning.... I would hammer in the evening.... I would hammer all day :)

Offline Infernospence

• Vic 20
  • Kudos 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 11:56:03 AM »
The only really game that i have played with mods is Oblivion on 360 and they were pretty good added alot more to the game ...... but i have seen video's of hacked games ..... saw someone turn Mario 64 into a Pokemon world that were pretty funny
Tweet Tweet Time to Sleep...Or are you Waking up?

Offline rain_storm

• ZX80
  • Kudos 1
    • View Profile
    • org_100h
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 07:32:26 PM »
I loved modding San Andreas they had some great tools to work with. Loved building a collection of real cars porsche 911 instead of the comet / Ford GT40 instead of the bullet etc, etc. This added alot to the replayability. I even made my own proper Subaru Imprezza WRC skin for a Subaru mod (Why on earth release a Subabru Imprezza mod without WRC badges?). the guys who are modding Final Fantasy 7 have been doing so roughly 10 years and they still dont have even a fraction of the mods available for GTA. What a difference it makes when the companies make their games mod friendly just look at Doom more mods for that than most any other game

Offline Zetr0

• ZX80
  • Kudos 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 09:56:57 PM »
.... did you say Final Fantasy 7 Mods?!

OMG!!!! WHERE!!!!

Please.... I needs the info....
If i had a hammer, I would hammer in the morning.... I would hammer in the evening.... I would hammer all day :)

Offline rain_storm

• ZX80
  • Kudos 1
    • View Profile
    • org_100h
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 04:01:55 PM »
Okay here are the links to the main people who have all made tools for modding /patching / game saves etc

http://forums.qhimm.com/ <- Hub of the FF7 mod scene
http://mirex.mypage.sk/ <- tools for extracting + packnig game archives
http://www.alhexx.com/ <- more tools
http://www.ficedula.co.uk/ <- more tools
http://www.geocities.com/cyberman_phillips/ <- some more

Ive had most success with the stuff from Mirex + Alhex. BTW There is a high res mod you use battle models in the feild mode :)

Edit - All these mods only work with the PC version but dont work with the Ultimania Cracked version only the normal one there is only 2 versions that I know of
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 04:11:17 PM by rain_storm »