Topic: Spares shop open now!  (Read 2100 times)

Offline Spirantho

• Vic 20
  • Kudos 2
    • View Profile
Spares shop open now!
« on: June 16, 2014, 06:59:14 PM »
Hi everybody,

I hope nobody minds my spamming the forum like this. 
 For ages I've been trying to get my business to have a representative selection of software, but I noticed many of us (myself included, until recently) have a need for a spares shop.

Therefore, (after spending far too much money), I now have a fairly good stock of parts! I've now got good (tested!) stocks of CPUS (C64 and C16/+4), VIC-I, VIC-II, TED, CIAs, DRAM, SRAM, 2564 and 2364 EPROMS (which fit straight into a mask ROM socket, unlike normal EPROMS) - and, of course, SID chips (6581 of various flavours and 8580R5).  I'm still trying to track down Spectrum ULAs but it's proving very elusive (and expensive!), but I have RAM chips (4116-compatible and 4164s for the upper RAM).

The URL is here:
http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/index.php?cPath=65

I've tried to undercut Ebay prices wherever I can, but these chips did cost a lot of money to get in, so some of the prices may seem a little high - I've tried to strike a happy medium whereby I recoup my costs while not making prices too high to be worth it.

I'm hoping to add more chips soon (currently looking at 6522, 6510T and 6523T chips) and if I can get hold of a B128 or P500 I want to get 6509 and 6525s in, but as I can't test them yet I'm not getting them yet.

If people want me to find a particular chip, let me know!

(And yes, I know there's no C64 PLA in my shop yet - I'm working on it  )

Any questions or comments, please let me know and I'll be happy to help.

Spam over.  :)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 07:07:06 PM by Spirantho »
Ian Gledhill
ian@mutantcaterpillar.co.uk but with a hyphen between "mutant" and "caterpillar"
Mutant Caterpillar Games - vintage computers and games in our shop!
http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/

Offline AndyRCM

• >=))))º> GO FEED THE FISH! <º((((=<
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
Re: Spares shop open now!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 07:10:52 PM »
Nice one Ian - a great service you have there mate.

I am sure quite a few of us (myself included) will be taking a good look around. :)

A
"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

Offline Spirantho

• Vic 20
  • Kudos 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 08:25:21 PM »
I'm hoping to build up more unusual chips as I go - so hopefully people will ask me for a chip and I can go hunting. The chips are out there if you can find the reputable sellers - but most of them have minimum orders and large courier charges - plus sifting the good suppliers from the bad is a time (and money) consuming endeavour!  What I want is to offer a way for people get replacement chips without having to buy 100 of them, and without the risk of rogue sellers. That way everybody benefits - my shop gains reputation for good replacement parts, and people get to keep their old 8-bits running.
Ian Gledhill
ian@mutantcaterpillar.co.uk but with a hyphen between "mutant" and "caterpillar"

Offline questor

• user
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 10:55:40 AM »
Have you contacted the arcade community - some of those guys have also stock piled chips and many are common across the 8-bit systems. I know for example that at least one ex-collector still has a stock pile of 6502s etc. Not sure what he plans to do with them if anything.

Offline Spirantho

• Vic 20
  • Kudos 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 09:09:16 PM »
The 6502s are rather easy to get - I'm going to get some in (just for completion's sake - I want to be the one-stop-shop for computer bits, after all, so I need them) but it's really the more esoteric - and computer-specific - chips I need, as they're the ones you just can't normally get.
Arcade boards are very good for odd (but standard) chips, though, you're right! I may well do that when I've stocked up on my computer-specific bits.
Ian Gledhill