Topic: C64 power supplies?  (Read 2061 times)

Offline flibblesan

• ZX80
  • Kudos 3
    • View Profile
C64 power supplies?
« on: August 30, 2014, 05:07:56 PM »
I'm on the hunt for a C64 and theres a guy on ebay not far from me that has a few units for £30 without power supplies, but have been tested working. Question is are power supplies easy to get hold of or is it even possible to buy third party psus or build them?

Or should I just pay the extra £40 for a C64 that comes complete? Is an old original PSU even going to be reliable?

Simon

Offline AndyRCM

• >=))))º> GO FEED THE FISH! <º((((=<
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
Re: C64 power supplies?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 07:11:07 PM »
I would get a known working one (c64 complete I mean) . . . you can get PSUs but they do occasionally play up a little.

A
"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

Offline flibblesan

• ZX80
  • Kudos 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 01:40:16 PM »
I would get a known working one (c64 complete I mean) . . . you can get PSUs but they do occasionally play up a little.

A

Yeah I'm thinking it'll be easier to just buy a complete system with PSU. What I'll definitely be doing is checking the caps and probably replacing them as they'll be getting on a bit and I've read that it isn't pretty when a C64 PSU decides to go "pop"

Offline AndyRCM

• >=))))º> GO FEED THE FISH! <º((((=<
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 02:47:23 PM »
We had one recently that was 'playing up' - the symptoms were black screen when warm and random 'buzzing' from the C64 itself.
We changed the PSU and it went away completely - I would say we were lucky with that one. Literally threw it away - 'cos if it went . . . it would take the C64 with it! :(

A
"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

Offline flibblesan

• ZX80
  • Kudos 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 02:50:59 PM »
We had one recently that was 'playing up' - the symptoms were black screen when warm and random 'buzzing' from the C64 itself.
We changed the PSU and it went away completely - I would say we were lucky with that one. Literally threw it away - 'cos if it went . . . it would take the C64 with it! :(

A

Yeah that's exactly what I've been reading. So it would probably be a very good idea for me to check the PSU and replace anything that looks slightly dodgy. I've been watching too many lukemorse1 videos on youtube so I want to get some retro kit and refurbish the lot :D