Topic: Wanted: Apple iMac G3  (Read 2210 times)

Offline jack_farmer

• ZX80
  • Kudos 2
  • "I'm not anti-social; I'm just not user friendly."
    • View Profile
Wanted: Apple iMac G3
« on: June 09, 2015, 04:48:16 PM »
Hello everyone,

I'm currently on the look out for an iMac G3 computer, as part of a project I'm trying to do. I'm planning to take an iMac, strip it of all of it's internal components, and replace them with a Mac Mini and a newer LCD display, all while keeping the same fantastic looks the iMac came with. Ambitious I know, but some have done it before and I'm certain I'm up to the task   ;D

Looking to replicate this: http://imgur.com/a/JpONm#18oMK

I'm in a pickle though, eBay prices are ridiculous right now for old Apple machines and besides, none are anywhere near me (Nuneaton, Warwickshire) and most ask you to pay twice the Mac's value for delivery!!

Preferably, I'd like a slot-loading model (1999 onwards) and would like one that externally is in okay shape. It doesn't matter if the iMac is broken, since I'll be taking out the old components anyway. I hope I'm not being too picky!  ;)

If anyone has an old broken iMac taking up space, or knows someone that does, I'd be so grateful if you'd respond to this thread. Thank you so much in advance!  :D

Reply to this or send me a message and we can work out a good deal.

- Jack

P.S. If anyone is interested in my plans for the iMac, I have some diagrams I've created that I'll upload too :) And of course, when I start the project, the RCM forums will get plenty of photos of the process.  :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 10:35:48 PM by jack_farmer »

Offline Panther

• Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 35
  • Look at the size of my.......Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: Apple iMac G3
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 08:51:54 AM »
Any more news on this ?

Offline jack_farmer

• ZX80
  • Kudos 2
  • "I'm not anti-social; I'm just not user friendly."
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: Apple iMac G3
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 05:32:19 PM »
Still researching and looking, but G3 iMacs seem to have suddenly become much harder to come by, I suppose. That and eBay prices are still super inflated and often pretty insane (some are asking well over 100 for a 'rare' model which really isn't!)

I'm considering leaving some of it until September when I start an Electronic Engineering course, so that I have a little more knowledge to help me along with the tough bits. It seems that the more you look into it, the more and more difficult it seems to do!  :-[

I'll post updates as and when I move along with this little project in an appropriate part of the forum.

Thanks for asking! :D

- Jack