Topic: This is where th Dragons went! - Terry Pratchett - Guards Guards  (Read 1253 times)

Offline binaryprose

• ZX80
  • Kudos 0
    • View Profile
Hi,
     Last weekend I went back to my parents to retrieve two Dragon 32’s that have been in my bedroom cupboard for the last 30 years. I brought them new from Boots back in the day(remember when Boots use to sell computers?). I got them home and fired them up. They both seemed to work, and I got the usual Dragon Data & Microsoft Basic message. The only problem is the keyboards.
On one the keyboard does not work at all. On the other they keyboard works but the mapping is screwed, by that I mean you press ‘A’ and you get another key on the same row.
I spoke to Steven from  Dataserve (he fixes retro computers for a living) and he told me he has two Dragons with the exact same problem.

I guess this must be a common fault. Can anyone give me any pointers on how to fix it?

During testing one of the PSU failed. can someone tell me why the hell Dragon Data thought it would be a good idea to rivet the PSU together....any help fixing the PSU would also be helpful

Regards
Steven

Offline Womble

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 33
    • View Profile
    • Aussie Arcade
Re: This is where th Dragons went! - Terry Pratchett - Guards Guards
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 12:05:31 AM »
Hmm, odd one, can you post what you get on screen for every single key you press? Ignore caps and shift effects, just along the lines of "If press A then get X".

There will be some logic to it which will point to what the likely cause is.

On the PSU front - the power brick is just a transformer with a two taps, so there isn't much to go wrong, and unfortunately what can go wrong is usually non-repairable. Do you get no power out of it at all, or are you missing one of the voltages?

1) Once you get it open check for obvious issues like loose wires, check for continuity along the full wire lengths, a fracture where the wire enters the cover is highly likely.

2) If it is totally dead then first check the fuse in the mains plug,

3) If that's ok then the transformer has probably lost its internal thermal fuse (if it has one), that usually sits inside the wrappings on the transformer on the primary side and could have died of old age, or it could have died for a very good reason. With some microsurgery you could replace it, but please do not by pass it entirely.

4) If it has no internal fuse, or the fuse is fine, then the transformer has gone open circuit on one of its windings, if you get no power out of it then the fracture is likely on the primary side, if you have lost one voltage only then it is likely fractured on the secondary side, either way it is not repairable.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 02:15:52 AM by Womble »
Sic Transit Gloria Atari

Offline binaryprose

• ZX80
  • Kudos 0
    • View Profile
Re: This is where th Dragons went! - Terry Pratchett - Guards Guards
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 07:54:43 PM »
The problem was tracked down by Ian at http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/ (bad PIA)..