Topic: [FREE] [PC] Combinatorix  (Read 1261 times)

Offline zxretrosoft

• ZX80
  • Kudos 0
  • I apologize in advance for bad English
    • View Profile
    • official website
[FREE] [PC] Combinatorix
« on: June 28, 2016, 09:16:11 AM »
Hello everyone,

I would like to show you a new PC puzzle game Combinatorix. Written in PureBasic.

Thanks a lot in advance for feedback or any comments!  ;)

Download EXE (direct link):
instaluj.cz/combinatorix/download

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcuAYGZMGGM

Review (Spanish):
http://combinatorix.uptodown.com/windows

Screen:

Offline DC The Juggler

• CPC 464
  • Kudos 5
    • View Profile
Re: [FREE] [PC] Combinatorix
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 03:57:12 PM »
As you said you wanted feedback I'll just say that the animation during the jumps over gaps needs improving, maybe the ball could appear to bounce higher to make the gap instead of hovering across at whatever level the ball was already at.  Otherwise, that's a very enjoyable puzzle game there. Well done.

David
Elite since 1987 on the BBC B, so why does Elite Dangerous on my PC say I'm only Deadly?

Offline zxretrosoft

• ZX80
  • Kudos 0
    • View Profile
    • official website
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 09:40:42 PM »
Thank you David!  ;)

With jumps: It would have to be done so that the ball bounced exactly the tiles. But it seemed to me a little unnatural?  ::)  Otherwise, I agree. These jumps are needed to improve.

Offline DC The Juggler

• CPC 464
  • Kudos 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 10:52:45 AM »
I will take your word for it that it looks unnatural if the ball bounces on each square. Maybe it would not look so bad if the ball moved a little faster and appeared to be a little smaller?

Alternatively the animation could very briefly come to rest on the floor of the jump launch pad, then a new animation showing the ball launched higher, appearing to get even bigger as it crossed the gap.  The animation could include an initial slight shrinking of the ball as if compressed prior to launch.  It would act as if the ball had dropped into the barrel of a cannon that then fired it across the gap. An explosive sound effect could go with it.

Another alternative would be the ball bounces once on the spot on the jump launch pad like it does on the final square, but appearing to bounce higher than normal before bouncing even higher across the gap, the bigger the gap, the higher it has to bounce.

The downside to both these ideas is that would interrupt the smooth flowing movement of the bouncing ball.

David
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 10:59:46 AM by DC The Juggler »
Elite since 1987 on the BBC B, so why does Elite Dangerous on my PC say I'm only Deadly?

Offline zxretrosoft

• ZX80
  • Kudos 0
    • View Profile
    • official website
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 08:02:56 PM »
Thank you very much!

I tried to improve the jump. Is that better?
+ added few levels

version 1.1 download
http://www.indiexpo.net/en/games/combinatorix

Offline DC The Juggler

• CPC 464
  • Kudos 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 07:48:28 PM »
The jumps look much better, well done.

I did have an issue when playing on my home PC instead of my laptop, whereby I could not see the mouse pointer.  The only way I could fix this was change the compatibility settings and 'Disable display scaling on high DPI settings' This gave me back the mouse pointer but the game was quite small on my monitor.

David

Offline zxretrosoft

• ZX80
  • Kudos 0
    • View Profile
    • official website
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 07:00:51 AM »
Thank you!

Hmm, that's strange.
On my home PC everything works OK. What system do you use? Although, to me it works on W7 and W8, LCD 22 "  ???

Offline DC The Juggler

• CPC 464
  • Kudos 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 09:59:44 AM »
My desktop PC is running Windows 10, on a 1920 x 1080 resolution monitor, with 'Change the size of text, apps and other items' set to 125% in Display settings.  When I get my new 4K monitor that will be set even higher.

Have you tested how well your game scales up on monitors running at higher resolution / DPI ?

David

Offline zxretrosoft

• ZX80
  • Kudos 0
    • View Profile
    • official website
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 08:25:48 AM »
Everything works OK. I do not understand much. My resolution is 1920x1080 (notebook) and 1920x1080 (PC). Everything is OK  :-\