Topic: New Member - Karl, Kent  (Read 573 times)

Offline khenneker

• ZX80
  • Kudos 0
    • View Profile
New Member - Karl, Kent
« on: November 24, 2016, 05:26:18 PM »
Greetings,

I joined because I have a general interest in all things retro - born 1979 I grew up with BBC Micros, Acorns, Amstrad CPC 464's, Amiga 500's.. Rather than spend the cold/wet winter binging on box sets I was after a project to keep me occupied - so I rescued an old 386 that was on its way to the skip; a high end business machine of its time I believe, it's very well looked after and original example of a Compaq Deskpro 386/20e that was retired from somewhere in the London Underground network around 2001 where it looked after the control of some pipe manufacturing plant. It runs DOS 6.2 and Windows 3.11..

The plan is to get it hooked up to my home network, find a period sound card/game port controller and enjoy some of the early DOS games on retro hardware as I did in my pre-adolescent years...

My 16 bit ISA network card arrived today, and I spend last night reviving an old XP machine I had in the loft so that I can make use of its 3.5" floppy drive to transfer the necessary drivers across to the 386.

I'm hoping that I may find some help and support here as I inevitably encounter various issues.

Best Regards,
Karl.

Offline DC The Juggler

• CPC 464
  • Kudos 5
    • View Profile
Re: New Member - Karl, Kent
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 05:30:44 PM »
Hello Karl,

Welcome to the Museum forum.  That reminds me that we need to dig out the museum's old Dos games box, I don't think it's been out on display since we moved to the bigger building in January. it's somewhere in storage but no-one is sure where it was buried during the move.

You may have some problems getting your 386 on a modern network. Did you know that Windows for Workgroups 3.11 (WfW 3.11) did not ship with the TCP/IP network protocol that is used on the internet and modern networks?  It used the older NetBEUI network protocol which I always associated with the old 10base2 coaxial cables into a then ubiquitous NE2000 network card....  Sorry, showing my age now.  TCP/IP was released in 1993 which is the same year as WfW 3.11. The good news is that there is a TCP/IP stack upgrade out there for WfW 3.11 that I have used in the past that does the trick, but it's been over 20 years since I last used it.  Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

David
Elite since 1987 on the BBC B, so why does Elite Dangerous on my PC say I'm only Deadly?