Topic: Wifi modem for old computers that plugs in like a dialup hayes modem  (Read 587 times)

Offline soydemadrid

• ZX80
  • Kudos 0
    • View Profile
Hi i thought it may be of interest to vintage and retro computer users that it is now easier than ever to get your old computer online! You can hook them up easily to the internet over Wifi.

This small rs232 serial interface unit plugs in the back of classic home computer systems and devices with a serial port (such as Amiga, Amstrad, Acorn, BBC, Apple, Atari, Commodore, IBM XT compatible PCs, MSX, Sinclair Spectrum):

https://www.simulant.uk/shop/retro-vintage-computer-wifi-modem-rs232-serial-hayes-compatible

I've attached a couple of photos of it being used with an Amiga 1200.

The Retro Wifi SI plugs in to most old and retro computers with a serial port and then you're able to connect to BBS systems, chat online, transfer files or send emails. It isn't anything new as there have been other devices like this in the past, but it is all packaged up nicely and ready to use with instructions - so just a nice neat product. :) I hope you don't mind me posting it, but it could be useful for most users here if they don't already have something similar...

Offline moggy

• Vic 20
  • Kudos 9
    • View Profile
Re: Wifi modem for old computers that plugs in like a dialup hayes modem
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 01:54:14 PM »
Believe it or not Siggi, on the German ZX forum, runs a web server on a ZX81!!  :o

Offline soydemadrid

• ZX80
  • Kudos 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 02:52:16 PM »
Believe it or not Siggi, on the German ZX forum, runs a web server on a ZX81!!  :o

That's cool, hopefully there may be more Z80 based internet uses now with the device I posted too. I logged on the Amstrad BBS last night on my Amstrad NC200 using wifi with the Retro Wifi SI. I've got an SRAM on order to try it also via CP/M with hopefully a better terminal than the built in one (though it did do the job!)...

Offline AndyRCM

• >=))))º> GO FEED THE FISH! <º((((=<
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 07:48:10 AM »
That is awesome - NEED to order at least one.

Andy
"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

Offline soydemadrid

• ZX80
  • Kudos 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 09:40:12 AM »
That is awesome - NEED to order at least one.

Andy

Haha yeah it is pretty good being able to email from 30 year old computers!