Topic: Retro Reunited - 2 day gaming event (12th & 13th Sept.)  (Read 37596 times)

Offline imnogeek

• Vic 20
  • Kudos 6
    • View Profile
Re: Retro Reunited - 2 day gaming event (12th & 13th Sept.)
« Reply #120 on: September 13, 2009, 11:51:41 PM »
Also, somebody's BBC Micro went up in smoke, and it stank the Acorn room out for an hour or two!
That's what beebs do, it  wouldn't be the same without a smokin' beeb :)

A couple of tellies went up too and this is all after the PAT tests  :P

StarshipUK

« Reply #121 on: September 14, 2009, 12:38:59 AM »
The Binatone and TV was mine - but the (Sony) TV is too modern for the Binatone and would not tune in properly. I am sure I tested it with those TVs, but perhaps not. I have one working older TV and will test it on that after I unpack - although I now have a Video Olympics cart for the 2600, so am not planning on taking the Binatone/Prinztronic to RV.

My Colecovision also stopped working - I think it might be the graphics chip on the coleco side as the Atari Module was still working OK, and the coleco multicart was working OK in someone elses Colecovision there.

With this old equipment, you always get stuff that breaks down or stops working. I don't think I have been to one event where I have taken alot of stuff and not returned with something broken or stopped working.

My back is also killing me, after I had to carry nearly all my equipment back down to the Van (apart from 3 items!) on my own (must have made about 5,000 trips up and down those fcking stairs!), and then drive for 4 hours and unloaded it all on my own back home. If I take a large amount of equipment to an event again, I am gonna add a condition to my contract that someone needs to help me load and unload my equipment - especially if there are stairs involved! But thanks again to Woody for helping me carry stuff up when I arrived.

And don't start me off on the PAT testing situation. I am still a pissed off no one told me that a woman would be pissing about with my equipment and plugs and changing the fuses in my 14" TVs to 1Amp and 2Amp fuses - which then blew of course and had to be changed back to higher rated fuses. If this is gonna happen at any future events without warning, correct guided paperwork and someone who actually knows what they are doing I am not taking any more equipment to any events.

Despite the above I had a good time overall, but it was all over far too quickly as usual. On the plus side people seemed to enjoy the 2 player outrun 2006 on the XBox, and the Dreamcast on the big TV.

Offline Andy

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 17
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computers
« Reply #122 on: September 14, 2009, 10:05:43 AM »
Also, somebody's BBC Micro went up in smoke, and it stank the Acorn room out for an hour or two!
That's what beebs do, it  wouldn't be the same without a smokin' beeb :)

3 beebs in total died over the weekend. One was one of ours. Luckily, there was a guy on site with a soldering iron and a bag of spare capacitors!

All 3 beebs are working again!

Offline Blackpanther

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 16
  • Trust is a weakness
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 14, 2009, 11:36:27 AM »
Fook me, just opened my box to sort the bits out etc and spotted that someone decided they prefered my joystick to there's and done a swap. The one I have here now is similiar to the one I had which was taken but its making cracking noises when you wiggle the joystick.
Nintendo 3DS Friends Code: 2793-0594-8875

1200xl

« Reply #124 on: September 14, 2009, 02:02:12 PM »

My Colecovision also stopped working - I think it might be the graphics chip on the coleco side as the Atari Module was still working OK, and the coleco multicart was working OK in someone elses Colecovision there.

I think that the Atari module is actually just an atari 2600 console that hijacks the power supply and video output of the coleco.
If you are getting graphics problems my first port of call would be to strip the coleco and strip and  clean and re assemble the on/off switch. This fixes many problems ;D

this is my post on Atariage http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/129270-colecovision-graphics-problems-fixed/

the other possibility is the PSU - I have a spare if you need one  ;D
and from the colecovision faq
13.0) Repair Tips

The following are suggestions for solving problems with your ColecoVision. The authors of this list and these tips can not be responsible for any damage done to your unit or carts as a result of attempting these fixes.

13.1) To fix a rolling picture/video problems:

The problem is with the power switch. You'll notice that if you were to jiggle it a little without turning the system off that it will make a complete mess of your screen. What I suggest is that you desolder the power switch from the circuit board, take the metal cover off of it and clean all the contacts and re-grease them after cleaning them. Make sure the metal cover is REALLY TIGHT when you put it back on though. From then on if you are very careful when turning the unit on/off it should work OK for you.

If you still have a problem go to an electronics store... and get a similar switch and replace it. Nothing else you can do really. - 05

Sorry if this is stating the obvious, but you seem to have a combination of an intermittent open and a heat sensitive component.

Get a can of "cold spray" made for isolating thermal intermittents: should be a couple of bucks at a local electronics shop. If you can get the box open and get to all the components, it should be fairly straightforward to figure out which one is the bad guy.

Actually, by your description (starts good, goes bad after 2 minutes, can be affected mechanically) leans towards a bad solder connection (or socket it the darn thing has them). It may be as easy as touching up a few solder connections. - 06

If the video problem is simply vertical lines dragging behind the sprites, it can sometimes be solved by using a different power supply. - 16

A number of problems (warping sprites, lack of audio, lines in sprites, etc.) can, in many circumstances, be solved simply by assuring a solid connection between the power supply and unit. This can require hardwiring the power supply to the unit. - 33

In some cases, sprite problems can be solved by cleaning the cartridge in question. But if the startup screen has letters screwed up, such as CKHACK, you probably have a bad DRAM. U10 is D7 and U17 is D0. CKHACK indicates a bad D2 line, which would be U15. General directions for replacing a bad chip can be found in Section 10.3. - 29

Offline stiggy2009

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 25
  • I eat RetroBrite and Cornflakes for breakfast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 14, 2009, 05:05:48 PM »
I've got quite a few photos from Retro Reunited so i've uploaded them to my flickr account if anyone is interested?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26527444@N06/

Had a utterly fantastic weekend.

@Woody.cool - thanks for letting me have a poke around inside your A1200 Tower!

@Immnogeek - Nice to chat with you again and thanks for the Amibay Tshirt

@AndyT - Nice to finally meet you and again, thanks for showing me your Beebs stuff

Offline woody.cool

• I get Woody for Camy
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 11
  • HADOOKEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 14, 2009, 05:52:04 PM »
I've got quite a few photos from Retro Reunited so i've uploaded them to my flickr account if anyone is interested?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26527444@N06/
Some good photo's there!

@Woody.cool - thanks for letting me have a poke around inside your A1200 Tower!
That's quite alright
Feel free to ask if you want any assistance with an A1200 tower build (assuming you still want to do it)

Offline Blackpanther

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 16
  • Trust is a weakness
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 14, 2009, 06:15:23 PM »
Nice pictures

I'll upload mine now and post a link

Offline woody.cool

• I get Woody for Camy
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 11
  • HADOOKEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 14, 2009, 06:53:25 PM »
My pics here

I'll sort out a friendlier way to view them soon, but can't be arsed at the mo!

Offline Blackpanther

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 16
  • Trust is a weakness
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 14, 2009, 07:13:46 PM »
Here you go

Offline stiggy2009

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 25
  • I eat RetroBrite and Cornflakes for breakfast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 14, 2009, 07:19:53 PM »
@Woody.cool

Looks like i got in the way on your last two, should have shoved me out of the way, sorry about that!

Regards

StiGGY

Offline Andy

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 17
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computers
« Reply #131 on: September 15, 2009, 10:17:19 AM »
My photos are here...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andysretrocomputers/sets/72157622365145234/

If you see a picture of yourself, please add a comment/note. Nice to put names to faces etc.

Offline witchfinder

• C128
  • Kudos 6
  • Uber-geek
    • View Profile
    • Addicted to Gaming
« Reply #132 on: September 17, 2009, 01:55:31 PM »
My review of the event is now up at:

http://gameaddict.blog.co.uk/2009/09/17/retro-reunited-review-6983277/

A link to all my photos is at the bottom of the review.
Check out my "Addicted to Gaming" blog: http://gameaddict.blog.co.uk
(last updated 17th Sept 2009)

Offline SirClive

• ZX80
  • Kudos 1
    • View Profile