1 (16.7%)
Phillips Videopac
0 (0%)
Don't Know?
0 (0%)
Don't Care!
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Topic: Atari 2600, Mattel Intellivision or Phillips Videopac?  (Read 2836 times)

Offline AndyRCM

• >=))))º> GO FEED THE FISH! <º((((=<
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
Atari 2600, Mattel Intellivision or Phillips Videopac?
« on: July 15, 2008, 02:29:15 PM »
Who wins this one then . . . interesting . . .

Andy
"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

Offline AndyRCM

• Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
Re: Atari 2600, Mattel Intellivision or Phillips Videopac?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 02:30:53 PM »
Atari for me because of maybe five games they got right, Space Invaders, Asteroids, Haunted House, Adventure and River Raid! - and for the crap they got wrong . . . E.T., PacMan and Defender - ewwwwww!

Andy
"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

Offline PhoenixTLB

• Cowabunga!
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 24
  • There goes Bugaboo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 02:35:15 PM »
Gotta vote Intellivision, I never had an Atari console, but intellivision had speech, Tron games where you could throw frisbees at the giant floating tanks etc, and also Star Wars - who wouldn't want to shoot AT-AT's!
Be sure to pray at the Shrine of Bub & Bob

Offline AndyRCM

• Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 02:36:53 PM »
I only had an intellivision about two weeks ago - so can't comment now!!! But then, Atari . . . lol!!!

Andy

but then again, the phillips had a QWERTY keyboard!!!!!!!!

Offline rain_storm

• ZX80
  • Kudos 1
    • View Profile
    • org_100h
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 09:29:19 PM »
Qwerty is by far the WORST keyboard layout ever devised.

It was developed back when typewriters suffered from paper jams this was such a big problem back then that it was more productive to avoid jams at all costs. So they invented the Qwerty layout which takes all the most useful keys and pushes them out of reach, Just look at the home row the only well placed keys (for the english language) are a and s all the rest are not the most common letters. The rest of the vowels are on the top row which is harder to reach. This slows down peoples typing speeds and thus decreasing the probability of paper jams.

Originally the Mac came with a Dvorak keyboard and you had to order your own Qwerty layout. Dvorak was a doctor and he designed a layout that has been proven to reduce repetative strain disorder (compared to Qwerty thats no surprise), whilst being easier to learn (took my 2 hours to start typing without looking) and much faster. In fact its so efficient that all of the worlds fastest typists use Dvorak keyboards. It didnt do too well when it was released cos it improved typing speeds which caused even more jams.