Topic: Thank you . . .  (Read 13271 times)

Offline AndyRCM

• >=))))º> GO FEED THE FISH! <º((((=<
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
Thank you . . .
« on: May 31, 2009, 09:47:25 PM »
Just a small one here to say thank you to you all, those that helped set up and also to everybody who turned up and brought tickets.

Please do leave feedback to let us know what we did right and wrong! ;)

Andy & Linda and the other administrators.

"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

StarshipUK

Re: Thank you . . .
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 10:33:52 PM »
Thank you for running the event. The retro gaming community is good and strong, and without events like this it would not be. It is also very nice to see a Museum allow people to use and enjoy their machines, rather than just keep them locked away or for people to look at and not be able to enjoy using.

Liked:
Nice size venue - bit scarey how the floor moved when people walked across it though
Liked the jacket potatoes - a good, quick and easy snack and suitable for the few Vegeterians like me. Price was good too - cans of cold drink at only 50p was very good value.
Massive selection of systems and games
Friendly crowd and group of people - I even met someone who had driven all the way from Southend to go the event!
Mario Kart Comp and Matt's Gaming Marathon Comp.

Possible Improvements:
More Tables - Could have had more systems in the small room to the left from the entrance :)
Not enough Joystisks for the Commodore systems - I put two of my own Joysticks on the C64, the VIC20 and there was still none on the C128.
I think one day is too short to set up, run an event, end it and pack away. I know more people would have come if it had been two days - also allowing for more sociallising time and perhaps a group curry for those staying down. I did not take much Kit, and stayed local the night before the event, but still feel pretty tired and like it was all over far too quickly.
Perhaps some more competitions to give people a reason to use and play on all of the machines. Some machines did not seem to be used much at all.
A few systems had nothing running on them, or had crashed/been switched off which left nothing running on them. Perhaps have people checking on the machines every so often to make sure they are working, or to change a games to something different every so often. I also could not work out how to change games on the RCM Mame Cab - I could have asked someone, but it would have been useful to have had an A4 printout with instructions (being a Man I like to try and work these things out myself, without having to ask someone, lol!)
Tell the venue to put a lock on the door of the Bloke's Bog.

Just minor things, but hope the feedback helps - overall I enjoyed it and look forward to the next one :)

StarshipUK

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 10:45:21 PM »
Oh - one other thing. The RCM Staff had name stickers which was useful. Perhaps it would also be nice to have name stickers for the people attending, so people who have not met before can quickly see who is who.

Offline Panther

• Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 35
  • Look at the size of my.......Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 11:16:01 PM »
Oh - one other thing. The RCM Staff had name stickers which was useful. Perhaps it would also be nice to have name stickers for the people attending, so people who have not met before can quickly see who is who.

I'm absolutely terrible with names......who was that friendly chap with the glasses who I spoke to first ?......Andy somebody  ;)

Seriously though I've been on different forums before ( I used to attend car shows), and the amount of times, I've spoken to people and then after thought who the hell was that, or I find out later on the forum who they actually were is untrue, so it's always useful to have name badges if people don't mind wearing them  ;D (I'm sure I helped Muguk tune the Interton in on the TV, but not sure !!  ???)

Venue was a good size, but not too big as to make it look empty, but on the same score it wasn't crowded, selection of machines was also good, might have been useful to have something like an A4 laminated sheet giving info on each system, for those of us who are less retro minded  ;)

Nice to be able to get some food, and drink as reasonable prices, without feeling like your getting ripped off.

Some things could have been better signed (if that's the right phrase), what was going on in the small room to the right as you entered ? I presume it was the multi player doom, but there were BBC micros in there etc. so it wasn't clear.

I had a great day and was very surprised how quick the day went, just flew by.

Well done to Andy and all the others who organised such an event .

Offline woody.cool

• I get Woody for Camy
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 11
  • HADOOKEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 07:06:23 AM »
What can I say, it was a good event!

Plenty of machines
All the usual friendly faces (and lots of new ones)
Lots of stuff being sold & given away
Mat's (witchfinder) awesome 'games decathlon'
Food & Drink at reasonable prices, good VFM

Dislikes
Not long enough (these things never are, though)
There was no signage or banner out the front, wasn't sure I had the right place at first (despite having been before)
Although just about everyone knows me, I think we should have all had name badges, idenrifying ourselves
The room at the front, to the left, with Witchfinder's and AndyT's stuff in could have had more systems in there
Issues with the f*****g network drivers on my PCs :(

Anyway, I really enjoyed the event and will definitely attend the next one.
In response to StarshipUK, about some systems crashing: I always (and have done at all retro events), gone round to check my machines probably hourly ot bi-hourly. I recommend other people do this too, so they can monitor the 'condition' of their systems.
My systems go through 'testing' on a regular basis, once before I agree what to bring, and a couple of times (if not more) leading up to the event.
9 times out of 10, I know exactly how long my machines are gonna last at an event.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 07:13:27 AM by woody.cool »

Offline The Twins

• Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 37
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 07:59:58 AM »
- Signs were put up outside the building, albeit not straight away.  Those that arrived early obviously did not have the benefit of them, but most of you came to the last one, so should have known roughly where the building was!

- We did have stickers for name badges, but the responce from members when asked if they wanted a name badge was " everyone knows who I am anyway", or they were too busy setting up and not everyone came to sign in!!!

- If anyone wanting a name sticker that had not been offered one had asked Andy or myself about them then you would have been given one.

- Non-members weren't interested in name stickers, their responce was "why do I need a name badge when no-one will know me"

- You can not force someone to have something they don't want.

- We utilised all the tables that the venue possessed, so unless people brought their own tables we could not have provided anymore.

Linda

Offline Andy

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 17
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computers
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 08:42:47 AM »
Fantastic day yet again!

Pros
Well organised.
Plenty of systems
Good stuff for sale.
I like the stuff that you could purchase for a donation.
Good food. (mmmmm... curry...)

Cons
I left my box of cables and remote controll at home (tw@t)

Next time, i will print some A4 sheets out about the machines I have bought.

Offline Akastaff

• Vic 20
  • Kudos 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 09:08:51 AM »
TBH The only thing I would recommend is setting up to some degree the day before but this might raise some overnight security issues. All through the 90's I was one of a team responsible for organising some of the countries biggest LAN parties, assuming people remeber Wireplay. TOTAL CHAOS :-) but always managed to work !!

As with all things, each time its done it will improve, at least I didnt have to sleep under the tables on this event !!

Anyways only things that struck me was maybe a bit more organised competition theme, schedule in advance of competitions so people can have a practise a certain games, and of course a nice suprise game selection for one. The Stage at the event could have been used more with regards to addressing the public, information announcements or just a helpdesk where people could say "oye you know that one over there is smoking ?".

Hats of to anyone who organises these events, and as said being local to Andy I am more than happy to help out with preperations, equipment (have PA / Disco Lighting gear)  etc, tbh I felt at a bit of a loose end there due to being on the other side of the counter sort-off :-).

Offline woody.cool

• I get Woody for Camy
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 11
  • HADOOKEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 09:15:35 AM »
- Signs were put up outside the building, albeit not straight away.  Those that arrived early obviously did not have the benefit of them, but most of you came to the last one, so should have known roughly where the building was!
True!
I did come early to set up .... saying that, although I came before, I got a lift with someone, so being as I didn't drive to the venue last time, I didn't have much of an idea of where it was ..... however, I found the venue quite easily.

- We did have stickers for name badges, but the responce from members when asked if they wanted a name badge was " everyone knows who I am anyway", or they were too busy setting up and not everyone came to sign in!!!
Well, nearly everyone does know me :)
Saying that, I reckon maybe I should have opted for a name badge.

- Non-members weren't interested in name stickers, their responce was "why do I need a name badge when no-one will know me"
- You can not force someone to have something they don't want.
True! I totally agree 100%

- We utilised all the tables that the venue possessed, so unless people brought their own tables we could not have provided anymore.
tbh, I reckon what was there was plenty. It would have been good if the room at the front (with AndyT's and Witchfinder's stuff) was utilised more, but if that's all the tables that the venue has, then there's nowt that can be done about it.

All in all, a very good event
I'm not critising (well, not in an un-constructive/negative way) as I really enjoy these events.

"oye you know that one over there is smoking ?".
Are you talking about the Beeb?

Offline Duddyroar

• ZX80
  • Kudos 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 09:17:44 AM »
I'd just like to say how much I enjoyed the event and my thanks go out to Andy, Linda and the rest of the RCM team for having the balls to get something like this off the ground. It was obvious that the event took a superhuman amount of effort, care and attention to get up and running and I hope I can attend and enjoy many more in the future. This was the first 'retro' event of this type that I've ever gone to so it was the perfect introduction, to be honest.

I would have liked to have got there earlier and stayed longer but sadly family duties called (I live five minutes down the road), however during the time I was there it was pure retro heaven. Being able to hop from a Saturn playing DoDonPachi to an ultra-rare Sega SG-1000II via a so-bad-it's-good Amstrad GX4000 was really quite something.

Thanks go to Flicky for chatting about retro-related nonsense and showing me all his cool retro wares, and big thanks to one kindly individual who helped me greatly with my terrible parking skills when I arrived (you know how you are! ;)).

I've posted some impressions up on one of the sites I'm involved with, along with some photos. Check it out here: http://retro.nintendolife.com/news/2009/05/uk_retro_computer_museum_open_day

Offline witchfinder

• C128
  • Kudos 6
  • Uber-geek
    • View Profile
    • Addicted to Gaming
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 03:14:01 PM »
A great day overall, and a big thanks to everyone who took part in the Retro Game Decathlon and let me whup their sorry asses!  ;D

Good Stuff
Most of it, but specifically the great range of systems, the laid back friendly atmosphere, and seeing the usual faces (and meeting a few new ones).
The addition of some dealers was good , if expensive for me personally...
Oh, and the beer was good!

Suggestions for next time
A PA system would be a very good idea as it was so noisy in the main room that it was impossible to make any announcements that everyone would hear.

Improved signage would be very good. My particular gripe would be that pile of stuff in the room I was in which I thought was for donations to the RCM but was actually for people to dump junk they didn't want and other people pick it up and make a donation. The problem was all the sign said was 'Donations Please' which was rather ambiguous.

Also as already mentioned an info display about each system would be great, as I didn't know what the hell some of them were, and it would help reinforce the concept of the museum if each system was an 'exhibit'

And finally it would have been good to hear a 5-10 minute presentation from Andy and the team about what has been achieved so far with the museum and what the plans are for the next 6-12 months with regard to finding a permanent location to exhibit the systems etc.

All in all though it was another enjoyable day, an improvement on the first event and a great success, so congratulations to Andy, Linda and the team for their efforts... :)
Check out my "Addicted to Gaming" blog: http://gameaddict.blog.co.uk
(last updated 17th Sept 2009)

Offline woody.cool

• I get Woody for Camy
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 11
  • HADOOKEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 03:28:52 PM »
All in all though it was another enjoyable day, an improvement on the first event and a great success, so congratulations to Andy, Linda and the team for their efforts... :)
Here! Here!

Totally agreed there.
It takes som effort to put on an event, and we should all be greatful.

Offline PJ

• CPC 464
  • Kudos 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 07:15:41 PM »
Just like to add my thanks to Andy, Linda and everyone else who obviously worked so hard to make the event the great success it was on the day.  I had a great time on all the systems just like last time.

Excellent to have such a wide selection of systems, with some amazing games (still loved the lightgun set up - glad that was there again - I struggled to get away from that one). Catering etc was excellent and couldn't have been bettered really - what was on offer suited the event really well.

I think any other feedback I have has already been covered, but the comments regarding signposting/info on systems is particularly valid.  A number of the systems were unfamiliar to me, and while most posed no problem, there were one or two times where a few lines of instructions would have been good. I managed to exit a game on the Beeb and having never used one before couldn't put in anything which seemed to get it to run the game again (no I didn't then set fire to it...:-).  Asked a couple of passers by, but they were no wiser than me. Also I didn't even know about the donation facility until it was mentioned in this thread so that perhaps needed to be clearer.

Getting Andy to do a presentation on the RCM ? Yes, good idea for a bit of promotion - although I think finding a good time to get attention may be difficult (with the raffle maybe?). Or perhaps just put up a display board with some info/photos on it.

Just minor things though - overall a terrific event and it hit exactly the right mark. People wanted to come along and have some fun on a variety of retro systems and it delivered that in spades. Thanks all !

Offline imnogeek

• Vic 20
  • Kudos 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 08:13:27 PM »
I had a great day and although not a gamer i loved seeing those machines in action and everyone enjoying themselves. Well done to all involved and I look forward to the next one :)

@witchfinder
The story behind the pile of stuff is this.... I brought a car load of kit which was free to good home ;) The RCM had 1st dibs and a quite a few were taken for on behalf of RCM by Andy and Jimbob. Later in the day we put the rest there with the intention that people could help themselves and leave a donation to RCM hence the donations please next to the coffee cup. I am sorry that someone took your stuff thinking that it was part of that, but on the bright side RCM did get a few systems out of it in the end.

I agree with the name badge thing, as members and unless you wish to remain anonymous then it would have helped, I too am thinking that I may have spoken too xxxx but am not sure.

Offline muguk

• Sarcastic Git plc!
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 34
  • Mug U.K(tm)
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Word Toolbox
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 08:19:43 PM »
I'm sure Andy can acquire some funky looking name badges for the next event :)

I keep all of mine from the other events I've been too - they're a souvenir if nothing else and get bundled into one drawer along with the maps of Paris, Dusseldorf, Bochum and other places I've done retro-ing :)

What the guys @ Retro Borse do is put a few snippets of information next to the machine.  This year they had a display on any game which was underground, so Bounty Bob et al were all displayed with a mini-history about each game.  This could be done for each machine and the info put into some laminated sheets and left next to each exhibit.  Happy to lend a hand with that from a techy author point of view nearer the time, Andy?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 08:24:55 PM by muguk »