Topic: Sega World?  (Read 3755 times)

Offline Amiga Man

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 10
    • View Profile
Sega World?
« on: June 30, 2009, 12:21:31 PM »
IF I remmy correctly, there was Sega world in London with all full of arcade and I dont know if there still there now :-\

Offline AndyT

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 17
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computers
Re: Sega World?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 12:53:41 PM »
Was it in the trocadero or somewhere near there?
Andy
http://www.retrocomputers.eu
Xbox Live Gamertag : AndyCTaylor

Offline Amiga Man

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 05:19:03 PM »
London's SEGA theme park kicked off at the height of its mascot Sonic the Hedgehog's popularity on September 7th, 1996. Housed in the Piccadilly Trocadero, it featured a number of indoor rides, coin-op arcade machines and a SEGA merchandise shop. It was heavily promoted in the UK's Sonic the Comic, where competitions were run to win items from the SegaWorld shop, and out on the streets where tokens could often be found for discounted or free entry, and free t-shirts were distributed. The loss-making venture eventually closed and was taken over by new management who closed several floors and renamed the establishment "FunLand". The entrance, which was an escalator surrounded by a tube, was now blocked off with a Drinks machine and the SegaWorld signs brought down.

The name SegaWorld later referred to the basement arcade in Hamleys' Regent Street branch, featuring none of the rides and entertainment of its Trocadero predecessor, as a SEGA-dedicated coin-op den since stripped and replaced with a franchised 'Game' outlet.

Offline billdooruk

• Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 26
  • I could murder a curry
    • View Profile
    • Our site:-
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 06:22:09 PM »
I took my younger brother to London, for the day, yeasr ago, to Visit bith the Sega theme park & Namco World.

We had a great day and spent loads of money.

Such a shame places like that don't exist any more.

I'm looking forward to visiting Arcade Barn, as described in another thread, next week when I'm on holiday in Devon (report and pictures hopefully when I'm back)

Offline flicky

• CPC 464
  • Kudos 4
    • View Profile
    • Flicky's Videogame Page
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 11:52:59 PM »
I took my younger brother to London, for the day, yeasr ago, to Visit bith the Sega theme park & Namco World.

We had a great day and spent loads of money.

Such a shame places like that don't exist any more.

I'm looking forward to visiting Arcade Barn, as described in another thread, next week when I'm on holiday in Devon (report and pictures hopefully when I'm back)

When I was in Southampton at Easter they still had a "Sega Park" (I think that was the name) in one of the shopping centres opposite Game. It had a lot of modern arcade machines, well worth a visit if you're in the area.

Cheers
Jon

Offline Panther

• Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 35
  • Look at the size of my.......Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 08:43:14 AM »
There used to be a Sega World in Tamworth near the snowdome, went there once (many many years ago), they used to have one night a week, where you paid something like £5 to enter and all the machines were set to Freeplay !!!

Offline witchfinder

• C128
  • Kudos 6
  • Uber-geek
    • View Profile
    • Addicted to Gaming
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 09:29:35 AM »
Namco Station is still around down in London, at County Hall (near Big Ben) but it's mostly 'prize games' these days. I was in there last year and played Star Wars Arcade and Tekken 5.

The only proper arcade in London these days as far as I know is the one on Tottenham Court Road near Goodge Street Station, which has loads of sit-down JAMMA cabs with all the fighting games on and a few shmups like Strikers 1945...
Check out my "Addicted to Gaming" blog: http://gameaddict.blog.co.uk
(last updated 17th Sept 2009)