Topic: Unnamed flower shooting game.  (Read 4542 times)

Offline Pixel_Outlaw

• Vic 20
  • Kudos 3
    • View Profile
Unnamed flower shooting game.
« on: September 14, 2009, 01:53:14 AM »
I'm a good way into developing a classic style game in which you must kill ever growing flowers. You may move your ship along the 4 edges of the screen in order to kill the ever blooming flowers. This game uses a sofware renderer intended to provide low resolution (320x240) even when the graphics card cannot. I don't really know where to go from here with the gameplay concept. I would like the game to be over if a flower reaches the blue inner border of the screen. Also I might like to have bees come out of the flowers and fire at the player on occasion.

The arrows move the ship and the z button fires the ULTRA MEGA ANTI FLOWER device...

I really plan to use some old sound effects for this game. The target look and sound should feel like early 80's. Sprites shall have no more than 3 unique colors and 1 transparent channel.

Name still in progress.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 07:13:25 AM by Pixel_Outlaw »

Offline combatking0

• Atari ST
  • Kudos 10
    • View Profile
    • Combat King 0's Barcode Battler Site!
Re: I need some ideas on my flower killing game.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 08:49:44 AM »
There's a program called Milky Tracker which creates retro-style music. I'm not sure how to use it, but there may be some tutorials out there.

You could have flowers of different colours which have different qualities, such as white ones growing faster, red ones taking multiple hits, yellow ones being explosive (destroying nearby flowers and the ship if it is within range), etc...

The bees could be trying to construct a "sun" in the middle of the screen which would make the flowers grow faster still.

Just a few ideas to throw into the mix.
Retroman!

Offline Pixel_Outlaw

• Vic 20
  • Kudos 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 03:54:11 PM »
I think I know how the levels should progress now. I like the idea of a sun but it would be very hard to adapt my code as it is to allow that device.

I think the game will progress with flowers growing faster and faster. One oof those games you cannot win but you get further each time. Like Galaga or Space Invaders (meh). I want to have some different colored flowers too. That is a good idea.

Offline combatking0

• Atari ST
  • Kudos 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 09:37:33 PM »
How about a venus fly trap? It could chase the space ship around if it gets too close, but be restricted by the length of its stem, like a chain chomp.
Retroman!

Offline Pixel_Outlaw

• Vic 20
  • Kudos 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 07:27:50 AM »
I now have some slightly better tiles going while adhering to my limits of 3 unique colors per tile with 1 transparent channel. The speed thing is not refined yet. There is currently some primitive score.

Features:

Eye-popping 320x240 resolution
Realistic garden sounds
Several Graphics
Realistic plant growth simulation
16 vibrant colors

http://www.mediafire.com/?32gjzdlhmjh
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 07:35:45 AM by Pixel_Outlaw »

Offline AndyRCM

• >=))))º> GO FEED THE FISH! <º((((=<
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 07:54:01 AM »
This is looking superb now mate! I love the game engine! ;)

Please do go visit and download this WIP game . . . really nice stuff!

Andy
"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

Offline Panther

• Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 35
  • Look at the size of my.......Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 09:09:50 AM »
Pretty good  ;D

Took me a while to find out which key was used to shoot  :P

Offline ismellicecream

• ZX80
  • Kudos 2
    • View Profile
    • My game design blog
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 12:29:59 PM »
Nice little game.

Apart from the above mentioned features, what about if a certain flower reaches the perimeter, it takes root and begins to grow along the perimeter, and the only way to stop it it to move opposite the root and shoot it, which may involve clearing a path first.

Also, what if you have a limited use light lure that you can drop and all the flowers will temporarily grow in that direction, giving you some breathing space. Maybe you start a game with 3 of them.

Other flowers could, if allowed to grow long enough, disperse pollen or whatever it is they disperse, which seeds more flowers.

Offline Pixel_Outlaw

• Vic 20
  • Kudos 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 06:57:41 AM »
Nice little game.

Apart from the above mentioned features, what about if a certain flower reaches the perimeter, it takes root and begins to grow along the perimeter, and the only way to stop it it to move opposite the root and shoot it, which may involve clearing a path first.

Also, what if you have a limited use light lure that you can drop and all the flowers will temporarily grow in that direction, giving you some breathing space. Maybe you start a game with 3 of them.

Other flowers could, if allowed to grow long enough, disperse pollen or whatever it is they disperse, which seeds more flowers.

Some very cool ideas there. This is still pretty open.

Here is my latest info regarding this.

Still working on getting some enemies in there but I did manage to rework the flower tiles and also add some enemy shots and level reset along with a score system...

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=96efe44d7793d69500d27174b47c66570d761509d6163de9935cbde7375ca78c

Offline combatking0

• Atari ST
  • Kudos 10
    • View Profile
Re: Unnamed flower shooting game.
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 11:17:35 AM »
If you are open to title suggestions for this project, how about "Floral Fight"?
Retroman!