Topic: Bloody Freeview Retune  (Read 3763 times)

Offline Panther

• Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 35
  • Look at the size of my.......Paws
    • View Profile
Bloody Freeview Retune
« on: October 02, 2009, 08:36:20 AM »
Retuned the TV last night, what a complete waste of f***ing time !!!

Now I've no longer got ITV4 (good job I can still get it through the cable box), wished I'd have known this beforehand

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8283452.stm

1200xl

Re: Bloody Freeview Retune
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 09:11:15 AM »
not looking forward to doing this. I have got a Topfield PVR, last time they buggered about with the channels I ended up with duplicates of all the channels and my beloved toppy kept crashing because it didnt know which bloody channel to record. Fragging split muxes.
See what happens this time, hopefully not another firmware update, its a PITA to drag the PC into the living room

Offline Andy

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 17
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computers
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 10:04:52 AM »
No problems with retune here. I even noticed the Quest channel has started broadcasting.

Freeview is a PITA here as we border 2 tv regions, and are at the edge of the transmitter coverage. Luckily, the aerial I installed that points to Sandy Heath works well, and gets approx. 80% signal strength.

The topfields are good boxes! I remember when my dad imported his from Australia.

I have a Dreambox for digital satelite!  ;D  ;D  8)

Offline helloyou03

• Vic 20
  • Kudos 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 10:19:09 AM »
My TV (42"  :P) is still working at the moment with all this warnings. But ready to retune.
Citius, Altius, Fortius

Offline Phu

• RCM Workshop
  • Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 41
  • Pay no attention to that PCB....
    • View Profile
    • ZX Spectrum Laptop Project
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 06:58:00 PM »
Permission to look smug ?

My Sky Digibox connected to a MythTV PC is still chugging along happily.... though I do need to put an extra HD in it - running out of recording space, and those episodes of Star Trek Voyager won't record themselves....

-- Richard
8 End of File, RCM:1

StarshipUK

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 01:04:24 AM »
My toppy has duplicate channels after the retune. I am sure I had the problem before (after moving to a new area)  and used this TAP:
http://www.topfield.cc/files/Firebird/ChannelRemover.zip

It also allows you to remove the useless pay channels which is nice.

Although Ive not used the toppy for some time since it started playing up a bit on the series link and there has not really been that much good TV on till recently. Although I have used the BBC Iplayer on the PS3 a few times, even though the quality is not good. I also have a Lovefilm rental for the past year which has meant I have watched more movies.

Offline muguk

• Sarcastic Git plc!
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 34
  • Mug U.K(tm)
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Word Toolbox
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 08:34:08 AM »
Did my retune the other night - didn't notice any problems as Channel 5 is still crap and jittery (which is why I download most of the TV I want to record and watch it in Div-X via my media centre).

Read about the ITV3 & ITV4 stuff going missing but as I don't watch those channels (EPG never picks up what's on them, same with Sky Police Camera Action & Holidays channel!) I only do a quick scan when looking for something to pass the time.

1200xl

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 10:01:01 AM »
My toppy has duplicate channels after the retune. I am sure I had the problem before (after moving to a new area)  and used this TAP:
http://www.topfield.cc/files/Firebird/ChannelRemover.zip

It also allows you to remove the useless pay channels which is nice.

Although Ive not used the toppy for some time since it started playing up a bit on the series link and there has not really been that much good TV on till recently. Although I have used the BBC Iplayer on the PS3 a few times, even though the quality is not good. I also have a Lovefilm rental for the past year which has meant I have watched more movies.
Used that TAP before, the problem was with the way the signals are transmitted, the BBC channels are split into 2 parts on some transmitters so the toppy was finding BBC1 on chnl 1 and 1001 but it was actually 2 halves of the same channel. Luckily there are some great programmers over at toppy.org and someone had made an updated firmware to fix the problem.
Are you using mystuff? no problems with series search with that. The problem with series link is you are relying some teenager on minimum wage to do the linking!
A piece of tech that my wife actually thinks is worth having in the house 8)
Anyway done the update and guess what, no channel 5 ::) funny I always had channel 5 before ;D

Offline resident paul

• C128
  • Kudos 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 01:32:38 PM »
Done it last night & no problems at all :)

1200xl

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 01:24:53 AM »
Toppy is now fixed after a firmware update and install of myStuff 6.0 ;D

Offline Rinoa

• CPC 464
  • Kudos 7
  • In a World gone Mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 11:00:05 AM »
No problems with our built-in freeview, but haven't tried with our BT Vision box yet.

Had a look to see if there were any new channels available. Most wouldn't work and the rest appear to be dating channels. Gay Rabbit, anyone? O.o

Offline muguk

• Sarcastic Git plc!
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 34
  • Mug U.K(tm)
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Word Toolbox
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 02:26:53 PM »
No ITV3 or ITV4 but no loss as mentioned before.  Most of my TV is via the newsgroups and watch it off my portable h/drive via the Vista Media Centre.

Offline combatking0

• Atari ST
  • Kudos 10
    • View Profile
    • Combat King 0's Barcode Battler Site!
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 08:12:49 PM »
All I need are Dave and Virgin 1, though TV Burp will be back on next weekend, so ITV1 is a must.
Retroman!