Topic: Backing Up HDD  (Read 1979 times)

Offline billdooruk

• Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 26
  • I could murder a curry
    • View Profile
    • Our site:-
Backing Up HDD
« on: August 04, 2011, 08:41:20 PM »
I know someone will be able to help :)

Does anyone know of any easy to use and free software to enable me to create a backup/mirror copy of a PC HDD ???

My base unit has in internal 2TB HDD, which has played up once in the past but has been fine for months (I've said it now...guess what will happen  ;D) I have an external 2TB HDD that I want to backup/mirror the internal HDD on to.

Ideally I want it to run weekly.

I'm open to suggestions :)

Cheers in advance

Karl

Offline questor

• user
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 38
    • View Profile
Re: Backing Up HDD
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 09:46:14 PM »
AllwaySync would do it - its free - just format the external and setup the "from" and "to" - you can the configure it to keep the two synchronised - so all changed you make are copied over.....just set the job to run when the machine is idle.

Lots of other ways - but this would allow you to be specific about which folders got synchronised etc.... and once the initial copy is done, only changes are done so its quick.

Offline StarshipUK

• ZX80
  • Kudos 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 01:48:08 AM »
I had a couple of problems with AllwaySync, that I transferred so much data using it on my main machine that it stopped working thinking I was a commercial user and wanted me to purchase it - so not entirely free  :-\

On my other machine it also kept on crashing and closing due to the amount of files on one of the Hard Drive partitions I was trying to backup - it does not like more than 1 million files on one partition it seems.

I found an alternative which seems to work better: http://www.goodsync.com/ - similar to the other program but managed to copy that 1 million file partition without crashing, and has never stopped working due to copying too many files on the other machine.

I recommend leaving it to backup overnight and during the day when you are at work. It will take ages to backup the first time, but will be quicker during subsequent backups (if set to One Way copying) as it will compare the files and only backup the newest files, and delete those which have been deleted from the master drive.

I can also highly recommend the LG N2R1D NAS unit. I have a 1TB and 2TB HDD in mine, which get taken out and locked in my safe when I am away. Fantastic bit of kit which I got from Dabs (they no longer sell it though) when they had it on special offer for £89.06 last year.

Offline stiggy2009

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 25
  • I eat RetroBrite and Cornflakes for breakfast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 08:29:12 AM »
I'd go with either clonezilla if you want to go with a one to one mirrored backup including O/S or Windows Sync tool if it's just user data you want to backup or sync. It's no frills but works very well (although i don't think you can schedule backups jobs).