Topic: Where to buy capacitors  (Read 5423 times)

Offline marculos

• Administrator
  • CPC 464
  • Kudos 8
    • View Profile
Where to buy capacitors
« on: January 25, 2012, 10:23:24 AM »
ok, looks like I'm gonna have to learn how to solder properly, eveything retro I buy off ebay recently needs work of some description ! Just got a game gear to add to my growing handheld collection, looks like capacitors are knackered so needs 11 or so replacing , will be a good test for my soldering skills. Does anyone know where I can get individual capacitors from ? maplin doesnt have the correct ones I need, and everywhere else I have tried rs etc either have a minimum order of £20 or over or only have them in packs of 10, any ideas , guess it wouldnt harm to get a load in stock for future projects ...
You fail it! Your skill is not enough, see you next time, bye-bye!

Offline AndyRCM

• >=))))º> GO FEED THE FISH! <º((((=<
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
Re: Where to buy capacitors
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 06:34:57 PM »
I would try here mate . . . http://uk.farnell.com/ . . . ;)
"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

Offline sirmorris

• Atari ST
  • Kudos 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 07:02:40 PM »
Farnell have a minimum  order too.

http://www.bitsbox.co.uk/

or eBay - you can get 'starter kits' but IRL you only tend to use 2 or 3 types - the remaining 30 or so will just lay there getting dusty ;)

-=-= Will Hack Hardware For Beer =-=-

Offline Phu

• RCM Workshop
  • Committee
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 41
  • Pay no attention to that PCB....
    • View Profile
    • ZX Spectrum Laptop Project
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 05:45:41 PM »
Farnell have a minimum  order too.

Not for me... somehow (don't ask me how) my account is set up with no minimum order and free next-day delivery....

But yes, the "minimum quantities" for actual components can be annoying, but I find the prices so cheap that the packs they want to sell you are peanuts anyways.... 55p for 50 resistors? Bargain.

Marculos: one way to cut costs with maplin is to buy one of their multi packs... I bought a pack of assorted electrolytic capacitors, a pack of assorted ceramic capacitors and a pack of assorted resistors just for stock. The packs are around £7 each, but you get a wide range of the most common values to cover most needs.

Oh.. and beware of game gears... some of those caps may be aluminium electrolytic surface mount types, which can be tricky beasts (and maplin don't stock them).

-- Richard
8 End of File, RCM:1

Offline Prime

• CPC 464
  • Kudos 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 08:12:16 PM »
Rapid Electronics are one of the places I use regually : http://www.rapidonline.com/

Marculos: one way to cut costs with maplin is to buy one of their multi packs... I bought a pack of assorted electrolytic capacitors, a pack of assorted ceramic capacitors and a pack of assorted resistors just for stock. The packs are around £7 each, but you get a wide range of the most common values to cover most needs.

Secoded I have done the same, though if I notice myself using perticular (e.g. 4.&K, 10K etc) values more than others, I'll buy a load from Rapid or Farnell, as for resistors and capacitors they cost pretty much the same.

Cheers,

Phill.

Offline porchy

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 33
    • View Profile
    • JAMMArcade
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 06:46:39 AM »
CPC is a Farnell company but is more geared for hobbyists. Prices are usually cheaper for the exact same kit too and there is no minimum order if I recall. Postage costs may be a little on the high side though but its usually next day delivery.

Offline resident paul

• C128
  • Kudos 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 01:02:21 PM »
CPC is a Farnell company but is more geared for hobbyists. Prices are usually cheaper for the exact same kit too and there is no minimum order if I recall. Postage costs may be a little on the high side though but its usually next day delivery.

That place is down the road from where I live! :)

Offline rewind

• C128
  • Kudos 13
    • View Profile
    • http://retro-blog.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 12:58:17 AM »
*cough*
some of you should search ebay occasionally you know, with keywords like game gear and capacitor.  :P

Anyway, yes the surface mount thing, some people just yank 'em off leaving the legs behind. I prefer the gentler approach of easing them off with soldering iron, phu, they're massive, it's not too bad. 80s technology for ya ;)

Dont bother replacing with surface mount. Space is a little tight, so you're going to have to run around looking for miniature radial caps, and make sure you get caps > or equal the originals in voltage. You don't want them blowing again.

maplin schmaplin. They always claim to have 2-3 of each cap in stock (not big sellers then!) but when you turn up, same old pantomime, "we cant find them"*.

*has actually happened at least 3 times to me.
All sorts of retro related stuff: http://retro-blog.co.uk
Gaming Parts and Spares!! http://www.rewind-bits.co.uk/

Offline marculos

• Administrator
  • CPC 464
  • Kudos 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 09:45:50 PM »
I got them from farnells in the end , I managed to replace all the capacitors and the game gear worked for a few minutes then it just kept switching off, me thinks my soldering was a bit pants, all the joins looked fine though,
. I then to decided to resolder some of the capacitors, made a complete pigs ear of it and ended up throwing the game gear across the room !!
You fail it! Your skill is not enough, see you next time, bye-bye!