Topic: Amstrad Keyboard Capers  (Read 604 times)

Offline MiniMort

• ZX80
  • Kudos 4
  • A young retro gamer
    • View Profile
Amstrad Keyboard Capers
« on: February 16, 2020, 08:14:48 PM »
Hi everyone. I’ve got an Amstrad 6128 and yesterday, during a session of coding, a column of the keys stopped working. I opened it up and gave the membrane a light clean, but of course that wasn’t the issue.

I’ve read that the most likely cause is the carbon circuit waring off from the membrane and that it can be fixed by using conducting paint (that stuff you could get for repairing headed rear windscreens on old cars) but I also read that the 6128 in particular used two membrane sheets stuck together so that might be an issue.

Has anyone had any experiences with repairing keyboard membranes on old Amstrads?

Many thanks,
Jack
Its just like, its just like, a mini, MORT

Offline AndyRCM

• >=))))º> GO FEED THE FISH! <º((((=<
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 50
  • Manic Jet Set Willy
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computer Museum
Re: Amstrad Keyboard Capers
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 05:05:40 PM »
Hello Jack,
Never heard of this mate - we have several 6128s but never noticed this problem on those? Not good as I don't think anywhere does spares ... yet?

Andy
"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

Offline MiniMort

• ZX80
  • Kudos 4
  • A young retro gamer
    • View Profile
Re: Amstrad Keyboard Capers
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 09:42:35 PM »
Hello Jack,
Never heard of this mate - we have several 6128s but never noticed this problem on those? Not good as I don't think anywhere does spares ... yet?

Andy
Hi Andy. No I don’t think spares and reproduction membranes have been produced yet, or if they have they’re no longer for sale. From what I gather this seems to be a rare issue - probably as my family’s 6128 was used for 10 years as the main computer for letters, essays, coursework and Daley Thompsons Decathlon. My grandad’s looked and he still has some conducting paint so I’ll have to give that a go soon. Until then at least all of the keys that allow me to load cassettes still work so I can play stuff with a joystick.
Its just like, its just like, a mini, MORT